“'basic guest-house'”

Ranked #314 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
“'basic guest-house'”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We arrived at the castle park guest house for our stay in edinburgh,the entrance hall was tidy,but carpet was very badly stained.The staff were helpful and took our cases up for us,the room was a double,it was very small room for two people it should have been a single room,it had a single wardrobe not very much room for all our clothes.The bed was very comfortable,the shower room was also very small and not much room to move,you could use the toilet the same time as the hand basin.There were splashes on the wall which could easily be wiped off,the quilt cover was stained it should be chucked.The shower was a good one ,The owner insists on the first day you pay your bill and we were there 6days.The breakfast well there was no menu to say what was for breakfast,you could only have a cooked breakfast with fried egg or scramble egg done in the mirco-wave yuck,no other cooked choices,my husband asked for boiled eggs they arrived runny and raw they were sent back ,the owner became grumpy and the eggs came back but only one arrived instead of two.Between mon/thur the girl that served us breakfast was not attentive and she was very vague and lazy,when the cooked breakfast arrived it was on cold plates.The coffee was yuck the toast was like plastic yuck there was no brown bread they did not do brown only white plastic bread.The guest house is in need of a refurb.Also when you pay your bill, beware of paying by credit card you will be charged 5 per-cent on top of your bill.From fri/sun we had another girl serving us at breakfast she knew what she was doing compare with the other one,it was a breath of fresh air,we would not stop here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank longhair25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed June 15, 2012

About twenty runners came for the Edinburgh Marathon and most of us found lodgings on the same street, so we were able to compare notes. Ours was quite favourable, but I would list it as second best to another one just across the street. The guesthouse is quite cosy and clean and quiet, and the location is very good. Only twenty mins walk to the Castle or to Princes Str. A bus stop just in front with two good routes. Once we took a a day ticket for 3.50 for the fun of it and went as far as Rosslyn and Leith - you can go practically everywhere with this ticket. Room was comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast is very good - room would be a bit stifling if full up, but we never encountered this problem. All in all, I would say this guest house needs a very good refurbishment, which would further enhance the mostly positive reviews written on it. Staff was helpful and no problems during a weeks' stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in a front room on the first floor, which had a nice window on the front and one large bed...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed at the castle park guest house in August 2011 as we went to the Tatoo(excellent by the way) it is a nice guest house with cheery staff. If I was to be hyper critical I could say the room was a bit small but it was not a problem. The location is good with a bustop just across the road where you can catch a bus directly to the town centre. however I would recommend booking a taxi back from the tatoo if you are seeing the late show as by the time we got out there was no bus for us and we had to walk back (about 25mins walk). We stayed on a bed and breakfst basis and I had the full english whilst my partner who is vegan had no problem eating breakfast there. It was not the cheapest or the dearest option it was mid priced.
overall If we were travelling to Edinburgh again I would stay here

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gillyworksop
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed 4 nights and would recommend the place to friends at any time!

The staff was very friendly from showing us our room on the second floor to breakfast to check-out. The room itself was rather packed with not too much space to move. The interrior design is not necessarily state of the art but makes it somewhat a cozy place.

The built-in-bathroom was small, was not too comfortable but had everything we needed.

The room was nice and quiet heading to the back.

Breakfast had everything from toast to sausage, from eggs to Nutella. Same like in the room, somewhat outdated but cozy.

Nice Bed&Breakfast worth the price! I recommend it!

Room Tip: Not on the highest floor and heading to the back was nice for us.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were in Edinburgh for a few days for the 2011 festival and wanted to stay as close as possible to the centre without paying too much.
For just £70 we had a huge en-suite room in the annexe.
Breakfast was a little chaotic but the food was good and the staff friendly and helpful.
Rooms are clean & comfortable, but there is quite a bit of traffic noise if your room faces the road (take ear-plugs if you are not used to traffic noise).
The hotel is on two bus routes so handy if you don't want to walk to the centre.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I booked a single room with an outside private bathroom (really just for my exclusive use - I had the key) for 5 nights from 25 to 30 July 2011 and considering the price and its distance to the center of the city, I have to say I got a very good deal. It was also remarkably convenient that the bus stop for both bus no. 10 and 27 were just a few steps away - especially when I had to rush to the city for my day trips. I could easily walk back from the city to the hotel too. I felt quite anxious after reading the negative reviews here, but now I know I was very lucky I found their website; I don't regret booking at Castle Park and I would recommend it to people travelling to Edinburgh on a limited budget.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
wigan
Reviewed June 16, 2011

My friend And I loved it here. We booked a twin room, and so we were delighted to be given a lovely family room( on ground floor), ensuite with shower. TV, Hairdryer, Kettle etc. The breakfast was delicious. Full Scottish or continental. It is conveniently situated with Bus Stop outside ( in both directions) No.10-Lothian Buses. The fare from Princes St is £1.30 single or £3.20 for unlimited day travel. NB EXACT FARE MUST BE TENDERED AS NO CHANGE IS GIVEN.
Would recommend this as a good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends