“Nice surprise for two tired business travellers”
Review of C-Shack - CLOSED

C-Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: C~shack, by Port of Siam, brings you the best in fresh local seafood, Borders' beef burgers and a very quaffable selection of Belgian and European beers and world wines. Now open and located at Newhaven Harbour our new seafood restaurant offers an ever-changing daily menu, presenting contemporary dishes from the finest that the Fish Markets have to offer. This is supported by our regular menus which have a range of fresh fish and seafood, the best in burgers, made from 35 day dry aged, farm sourced, rump steak and a refreshingly different range of vegetarian dishes. Check back here for more details and sample online menus as we develop our site over the coming weeks. We look forward to seeing you at Newha
Chorley, UK
“Nice surprise for two tired business travellers”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Staying at the nearby Premier Inn, we wandered the front looking at the options for eats. C-Shack looked interesting over the ubiquitous Loch Fyne across the road. So pleased we did - this is real food! Shortish menu -YES!! in my book, the shorter the menu, the better the food - you know its freshly prepared. Vietnamese Squid & Tuna Tartare followed by Sea Bream on the bone with Samphire/Orange and Seafood Curry for the two of us, and both were excellent. There is a trend these days for some establishments to serve giant portions. Here it was just right. Slightly quirky mix - seafood and a couple of burgers, but why not? Also liked the range of "Bieres". Will we be back - you bet! You can't please all the people all the time, but I think this place will please us again!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome seafood”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a fab place really good food! I love seafood and this place delivers and is so chilled as well! Can't wait to return!

1 Thank LDVno1
Glasgow
“Simple well priced menu”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I must admit a bias here - towards restaurants with short unfussy menus serving fresh seasonal food.

Only one visit here so far but it will be the first of many hopefully. We ordered from the specials board and enjoyed well cooked and well seasoned octopus, prawns, sea bass and fish laksa.

We both loved the setting of the restaurant with a great view of Newhaven Harbour (easily reached from Princes Street by 11 and 16 buses).

1 Thank Katy Picasso
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Not sure what to make of this. I'm a huge seafood lover and previously (many years ago) one of my favourite restaurants was Loch Fyne. Its changed since those days so not so much now.

I regularly visit Welchs (opposite) for my seafood to cook at home and noticed C Shack being developed. It piqued my excitement - a rough and ready seafood joint on the harbour serving uber fresh seafood with no frills - the ingredients doing all the talking.

How wrong I was. I can't help feel C Shack is trying to be something it's not. If you're going to call yourself a shack, wear the label with pride! Don't ponce around with fancy plates, decoration and frills. Give me lovely fresh scallops, cooked simply - let their freshness and the surrounding harbour compliment the experience. Don't also charge me such a large amount for tiny portions either. It's a shack, not fine dining.

The food was lovely, I don't deny it but I feel the portions are too small for the cost and the place is confused as to what it should be.

Please please please dumb it down and become a shack - that's what we need!

2 Thank MartinDomino
WRMP, Owner at C-Shack, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking the time to give us the benefit of your views on our restaurant. Whilst we are glad you seemed to find the food all to be “lovely” we are sorry that the presentation was not dumbed down enough for your enjoyment.

C~shack is casual and unpretentious and, we believe, contemporary, the fineness of the “fine dining” being restricted to the fresh produce on the plate. We do not feel the need to create the ambiance of a Portakabin to offer half a lobster, fries and salad for £16.50, which is one of our most popular dishes of this weekend, as I respond to your review. We will always try to offer good value for money.

We have a very skilled kitchen team and will serve our portions and dishes as we believe will be best enjoyed by our diners. Yes, smoked trout, watercress, potato and horseradish, or ceviche of monkfish or scallop will always be delicate starters. But as we also offer gargantuan burgers, huge portions of fresh fish and handcut chips, with all the trimmings, there is something for everyone able to navigate our two-menu system. Our principal menus and pricelists are of course in the window for all to see, are as indeed pictures of a growing range of the dishes we have served over the last weeks, featured on this very page to allow an informed diner to make an informed choice.

So, Martin there will be no dumbing down for customers or poncing at C`shack as your review somewhat derogatorily suggests.

Regards,

C~shack.
edinburgh
“Freshest seafood in town!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The much deserved success of the New Town Port of Siam has resulted in the re-invention of the original Port of Siam into one of Edinburgh's finest seafood restaurants.
One of the few to actually use fresh locally sourced produce - all prepared by talented chefs - make for a great dining experience.
Boasts an even better wine list and a great choice of artisan beers.
Don't go if you want the usual deep-fried toss.