“Average.”

and 1 more site!
Featherhall Garden Court
Ranked #176 of 218 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family of 5 recently had a two night stay in apartment 2 and whilst the booking process was relatively easy and communication with the managers was no more than necessary, I would have been easily been charged twice, had I of not been on the ball. A simple mistake maybe ?? Whilst the apartment looks as if it was "clean" you couldnt help but want to just wipe the surface before you sat down. The decor is very outdated and most of the furniture is in definite need of replacement. Our unit was advertised to sleep 6 however it was a tight fit with the 5 of us and being in the block of units, on the ground floor, made it unbearable when the upstairs apartment decided to party all night long. I can understand with the Edinburgh Tattoo and Fringe Festival operating at the same time that the city is packed, however I honestly feel that we were overcharged for a unit that is in dire need of TLC.

Room Tip: Dont get a ground floor apartment
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelli W

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business, and really wished I had just found a bus shelter to live in instead.

I had the pleasure of staying in apartment 6. Opening the door you're greeted by the, quite unexpected, smell of pickles.

A quick tour reveals that the place has been decorated entirely from stuff that the RSPCA charity shop has rejected.

The hallway carpet is held together by stains, some if them deeply disturbing.

It's advertised as being able to sleep 4. This is achieved looking at the z-bed stored in a cupboard and deciding to take your chances on the sofa instead. A lucky dip of mismatched, ragged, bed clothes stuffed into a ripped Ikea bag also help.

If you fancy experiencing sleeping in a crack den without the hassle of actually becoming a crack addict, then this is perhaps the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Bilbodotcom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Do not stay here.it is filthy unsafe,disgusting.we have tried contacting the owners but they don'treply to e-mails.take my advise and book yourself a room at the premier inn down the road

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank oldgreyfergy
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just had a two night stay in apt 8 and it was great.There was 6 of us and we had a great time.The decor wasnt perfect but it was ok.We didnt move wardrobes and cupboards,only sad people do that.It was clean,warm and dry,perfect.It was behind the shops on the main road and easy to miss the entrance to the car park.The architect who did the building was a genius to fit 11 apartments into this building.Every inch of space was used and it was brilliant.We didnt have an iron but the lady,who was busy elsewhere, went out of her way to get the iron to us.The telly could have been bigger and not a portable but only minor problem.The smoke alarms were very keen,just doing toast set them off,funny wafting towels to get the things to stop.The main road went past the zoo and into town.The shops are good and there is three pubs on there.A carvery,normal pub and a wetherspoon.We will deffo stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2012

this is the 4th time that myself family and friends have stay in the apartments. Every time that we have stayed here there have always been clean bedding plus a bundle of fresh towels waiting for on each bed. It is excellent value for money close to many pubs restaurants and shops 5 min walk from the local zoo which a highly recommend and 15 mins bus ride into Edinburgh. I must say that we took our 15year old daughter with us and as teenagers go they complain about most things but she had a blast .. We have since booked the flats for us to come back up in March with friends and we are all looking forward to it especially that there is now a new weitherspoons opened up around the corner.. I must add though if you want to stay in 5* hotel then pay the prices and stop complaining people.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank teambunney03
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Great value apartments in a top location just outside Edinburgh. Apartments are basic and beds could do with replacing but what else do you expect for the price. Great public transport into the centre - only takes 15mins on the bus. 24hr Tesco, pubs and restauarnts within walking distance and the zoo is 5 mins away. Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Email ahead and tell them your requirements and they will put you in the most suitable apartment
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent to the operators of featherhall Garden appts...... to which I received no reply. I think it paints a picture. I've never had a problem with "basic" after all being basic should allow the owners to easily keep it clean, safe & tidy. Not so.

I contact you following a stay at your Appt. no.6 @ Featherhall Gardens on Sat 25/02/12 & Sun 26/02/12 on the off chance that you may operate this facility without actually visiting it. My wife & I brought my elderly parents to Edinburgh as a treat on their anniversary & were utterly disgusted in the standard of accommodation found. I can’t believe that this can be offered as appropriate accommodation for the tourist trade. The property interior (I would imagine) resembles that of a half way house rather than holiday accommodation. I offer this information in the hope that you may agree with some or all of my points & offer a suitable refund.

1. Entry hall smelt damp & communal door, whilst sprung, offered no damping & therefore slammed shut every time it was used (day or night)

2. Entry to appt. 6. Whole appt. was freezing cold. No heating was left on to warm the appt. for the expected guests.

3. Fire extinguisher left on floor as support bracket had been wrenched from the wall.

4. Stained hallway carpet.

5. Bathroom wall partially repaired using plasterboard panel.

6. Toilet insecure & squeaked if you went anywhere near it.

7. Mould in shower base.

8. Loose electrical shower isolation switch mounted dangerously close to the shower. “The switch must be readily accessible but out of reach of a person using a fixed bath or shower, except for the cord of a pull cord operated switch. The wiring must be connected to the switch without the use of a plug or socket outlet.”

9. Main bedroom had stained carpets & a fist sized hole in the partition wall. Missing plaster from numerous nail heads securing wall panels.

10. Second bedroom had no provision for heating.

11. Living room carpet was filthy. Broken curtain tie back. TV remote had damaged battery cover so it refused to stay in place.

12. Kitchenette “welcome” notice advising that we, the guests had to carry out all cleaning duties or we incur further costs!!

13. Paper thin walls offered zero sound insulation properties.

14. Further “welcome” notice on Sat evening advising that there had been a disturbance at the property in the afternoon & that it wouldn’t be tolerated??.

My parents stayed at the Blackpool Hilton on the 24/02/12 & the 25/02/12 & it was cheaper that 2 nights at Featherhall Gardens (with breakfast!)

I attach some photos to support some of my comments.

I look forward to hearing your views.

Regards,

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family