2 Cambridge Street
$100
$94
$565
  • Restaurant
All reviewsperfect hostsdrawing roomdynamite clubcastle terracelovely homefive nightsminute walkusher hallbed and breakfastthe heart of the citycentral locationyogurtbedroomshuttersbuses
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This B&B was well positioned below the Castle and adjacent to the main park. The breakfasts were excellent and the hosts quite a delight. Wish we could have spent a week there instead of just three days!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a gorgeous place to stay. We were there for our wedding anniversary last year. The room was beautiful. The best part though were the hosts. They greeted us as though we were old friends that they had waited in for. Lovely company, fascinating to talk to and very welcoming. And the breakfast is really special. Hopefully we'll go back soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The B&B is ideally located for exploring Edinburgh, with the major attractions being well accessible on foot. This is important in Edinburgh, as the city is quite car-averse.
The building is located in a quiet side street and is lovingly furnished in Victorian period pieces.
The creatively designed and very well prepared breakfast - every day another choice - are highlights. We enjoyed being looked after by our host Erland as well as the holiday caretaker Wendy.
So far all positive. But, perhaps particularly because we stayed for five nights, we noted that the rooms and beds are small and offer little space to unpack, and the bathrooms are tiny.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank martin_ww
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay. An apartment, the second of several set in a Georgian building on Cambridge street, is located just off castle terrace with Edinburgh castle towering high above you.
The room designs, are reminiscent of its Victorian past with a strong French influence provided by the owners - Erlend & Helene Clouston which takes you back in time. As you enter the study, which doubles as the breakfast room, you almost expect to bump into Holmes & Watson sat by the fireplace.
While we were there the owners were away on holiday and we were looked after by Wendy. She did a marvelous job. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were excellent, there were clean towels everyday and our room was tidied before we'd finished breakfast!

Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bobhead48
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed in this lovely place just 3 weeks ago. I have to say, I have never stayed in a bed and breakfast before so I was not sure what to expect. My mother in-law showed us a very funny and quirky video the owner Erland had made about the place and I was impressed.

We arrived at 2 cambridge, which is part of a picturesque row of townhouses with a spectacular view of Edinburgh castle. A cozy courtyard with nice boxwood shrubs. We were greeted by it's owners who quickly gave us a tour of the place. We stayed in the room near the study. The house it's filled with historical details that I believe the owners have collected throughout the years. We had a quick cup of coffee and we headed for a 15 minute walk to the city center. I warned you that it is uphill but it is certainly doable.

The room was well appointed, again filled with many interesting pieces. There is plenty of storage space in the room. The bathroom is quiet modern. It had an opened shower stall and they provide you with soaps and towels. There is also a heated towel rack (nice convenience to have a nice warm towel after a long day of waking). I had a very relaxing shower after a long day. The rooms also have a bottle of water and a bottle of liquor for guests to enjoy. We had a nice port wine and my in-laws who were staying at the other room had rum.

They take your breakfast orders and give you choices. I have to say I am not an easy person to plan a meal. I am vegetarian and suffer from food allergies. They were very accommodating to my dietary needs. The breakfast was something I've never experienced before. It was in the study, a nice fire going on the fireplace a small table covered in a nice white linen tablecloth, nicely appointed with beautiful china. We started with coffee, bread and greek yogurt with fruit and nuts. I requested poached eggs on a bed of asparagus. They were delicious! The next day I requested an omelet. The cook is the wife and owner of the place. I believe she is originally from France and let me tell you she can cook. The eggs were perfectly cooked and breakfast was just enough to get the day started. We also had fresh juices which were a delight.

The place is walking distance from the theater and a couple of local pubs and restaurants. We ventured out one day. There is nothing that I can point out that was wrong with the place and I would strongly recommend it instead of staying at your big chain hotels. It definitely added charm to our experience in Edinburgh. I can stay at a chain hotel anywhere else and have a nice but standard meal, but nothing like staying at a local B&B and getting to know the people who live there.

Thanks for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There are no TVs in the rooms for those who feel the urge to be connected to television. There is though free wi-fi. Also there is no swimming pool or fitness center so ignore my stars on those.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple