“exceeded expectations!!!”

Ranked #20 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“exceeded expectations!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed for the night at the Dene on March 2nd. It was just for one night, but I have to admit our stay was so lovely, I wish we stayed for more days! As soon as we arrived, the owner Hamish greeted us and showed us to our room, which was cozy and homy, beautifully decorated, and with an amanzigly comfortable bed! We slept like babies that night. Next morning we went downstairs for a great breakfast, before going for a walk on our last day. The service provided was excellent, Hamish gave us advice on places we could visit during our short stay, and was extremely kind to us. That, and the fact that Edinburgh is such a beautiful city, are the reasons why we really want to go back someday, and I really hope we do! If you´re looking for a place to stay were you can feel like home.... No doubt about it, The Dene is the place you´re looking for!

Room Tip: Always make sure to have a private bathroom
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie_Moz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Even before I arrived, the service provided was memorable. The owner Hamish called me about 5pm to ask when I was planning to arrive, and to explain arrangements if I wanted to book in late. These were very flexible and helpful.

As the guest house was quiet, I was upgraded at no charge from single to twin, a lovely room with a spectacular print on the wall over the fireplace. The conversion to guest house is elegantly and simply done. My room was comfortable, spotlessly clean, and just down the hall from the shower/toilet. They too were nicely done, and the shower was excellent.

The generous breakfast room/lounge on the ground floor has comfy sofas, free wifi, and lots of guides etc.Breakfast was fine, and the service very friendly and personal.

The central location is great but not too busy (bus stops 2 minutes away link across the city, loads of good restaurants etc in Stockbridge 5 minutes walk away, also you can walk the local river bank - very peaceful - a couple of minutes from the door)

And all this for less than the price of a faceless budget chain hotel!

I grew up a mile from here, and staying at the Dene really was like coming home - well done!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pat R
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The guest house was really a highlight of our entire trip to Scotland. So comfortable - the rooms were great and there was a spacious common room for relaxing after a long day in the city. The owners were warm and welcoming, with lots of tips for the exploring the city. Couldn't recommend more highly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AimeeRawlins
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Dene's Guest House. Nice staff, rooms clean and good breakfast! Good if you are staying by yourself or partner or family.

I would recommend to anyone that wants to stay in Edinburgh for a couple of nights, not very far from the city center, around 25min walk.
Direct buses to the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Heytraveller
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Great guest house in beautiful Edinburgh.
I walked from Waverley station.
To find a caring team. Lot's of homely touches. Great area. Key to let yourself in.
Just a low gradient, scenic 10 minute stroll to Stockbridge. Also a bonus.

Hadn't booked with Trip Advisor. But very happy.

First time in Scotland and this guest house made a real impression.

Disappointed the Gustav Klimt in my room was clearly not original.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Adrian F
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed for a long weekend in mid October and chose this property for it's convenience to the city and our son who lives in Edinburgh. We had an attic en-suite room which was warm, adequately equiped and comfortable.
The breakfast was very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Rates were reasonable for the city.
I would recommend this for convenient access to the city and day bus passes allow easy travel around the attractions of Edinburgh which is a splendid place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LincolnshireExplorer
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I needed to find a place to stay in Edinburgh and everywhere seemed expensive for one night and I came upon this place. The rates were good but having no idea about location etc a bit of a gamble. But it paid off. It is so central and literally off a main road so great for buses and coming back late if walking. It takes about 10 mins to walk to the centre and along the way it has lots of antique shops and locally lovely looking cafes. The rooms were simple but clean and comfortable. Plus you have a basin in your room. I could not ask for anything more. The breakfast is nice. The people who ran it were lovely and helpful. I would suggest this to anyone who wants a simple, straightforward place to stay when visiting Scotland. I was there solo and my trip was for a wedding but would come again and stay with friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo