“Dene Guest House, Edinburgh - Couldn't Be Better”
Review of Dene Guest House

Dene Guest House
Ranked #21 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Santa Monica, California
“Dene Guest House, Edinburgh - Couldn't Be Better”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

After a week of traveling throughout the UK and staying in University Dorm Rooms, I was thrilled to walk in and see the Dene Guest House. It had a very friendly feeling and it was clean, cozy and warm. Our room (#5 - double bed) was small, but sufficent and decorated pleasantly. The bed was comfortable and clean, There was a small rack for hanging clothes (which had a full lenght mirror on it - which was nice) and we had a beautiful view of the back of the guest house, which had lovely green grassy areas, lovely little purple flowers and a nice view of the local architecture. It was also nice and quiet at night, which was a god send! We had a heater in the room which worked quite well, a kettle with coffee and tea packets (although we prefered to get ours from the kitchen), a small sink and a flat screen TV with cable . The rooms on our floor shared 1 bathroom, which had a shower, sink and toilet (no tub), but I used the bathroom upstairs once or twice and I noticed that it had a bathtub in it. There is a common "living room" area with a couch, tv, guitar and plenty of magazines to read, which had lots of helpful information about local events and things to do. The Living Room also subbed as a dining room and it is where breakfast was served each morning. The breakfast was more than sufficient, with cereals, yougurts, cheeses, tea, coffee, juice, water, milk, fresh fruit and more. Guests also have the option to order from the "hot" menu, which featured classic breakfast dishes like scrambled eggs with hashbrowns or Sausage/bacon. Or my favorite, the "cookie", which featured beans, bacon or sausage, hashbrowns andeggs (any style)! The owners/caretakers were very friendly and helpful - always with a smile.

Our friends stayed in room #7 (twin room) which was located on the street side of the guest house. They mentioned that it took a minute to get used to the traffic noise from the street out in front, but that it wasn't bad at all and did not keep them up. Their room was decorated with a large Gustave Klimt print and featured all the same accomodations that we had in our room.

We were all VERY HAPPY with our rooms and the service. We loved Dene Guest House and I would definitely recommend this to anybody who is looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh. It was easy to walk (or cab) to all the landmarks, restaurants, monuments and attractions throughout the city. It is also just a few yards from a friendly bar, a chippie and several antique shops (we love to look in antique shops!). It was basicaly a wonderful place in a perfect location with friendly staff and good food!

The only downside is that there are only 2 parking spaces and both were used during our stay. Street parking was pay parking, which began to get expensive and a hassle to keep your eye on the clock all the time. The folks at the guest house directed us to a nearby street with free parking, but it was a bit of a nuissance to have to walk so far to the car (not that it was really all *that* far - but we were on vacation and being a bit lazy, i suppose).

Otherwise this was a dream place!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on the back side of the guest house.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LanieFire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
USA
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was my second time staying at Dene Guest House. I will be back for a third. I had a shared bathroom which I was kind of unsure about but both bathrooms were very nice and always clean. My room was very nice and had plenty of space. Breakfast was very good with a lot of options.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was our third stay in the Dene in the past five years. Rooms are always kept spick and span. Very filling breakfast with plenty of different options. We were also able to leave our bags on our departure day and return for them when going for our flight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Awesome place. Trini was so nice. Breakfast was awesome. Rooms were very clean. But stop is at the corner. Very quite at night so you can sleep and rest for your next exhausting day. I would go here again if I am going to Edinburg.

• Stayed June 2011
Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Loved my stay in this guest house which was not far from the very centre of Edinburgh - about a 10 minute uphill walk to Princes Street, but there is also a regular bus service up and down the small hill.

The host of the guest house was very friendly and helpful and willing to go out of her way to make you feel comfortable. The room I stayed in was a twin room with shared bathroom and both the room and the bathroom were kept very clean.

Breakfast was good, but the times it was served were a bit limited.

Overall though, I would definitely stay here again when visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank leemwarren
Berga, Spain
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Dene Guest House is an excellent place where to stay when you're in Edinburgh. Rooms are comfortable, staff is really friendly and it's very well located, just at 15 min. walk to the Royal Mille. I would certainly recommend to everybody. The only small remark is that some of the rooms don't have bathroom.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank NiUnBug
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I arrived early from the United States; when they saw how exhausted I was, they sat me down with a cup of tea, which is exactly what I needed. The rooms were spacious and clean, and everything I wanted to see was within walking distance. The staff was extremely kind, and they went out of their way to make me feel at home. For example, one morning I was not feeling well, and they cooked me a light, warm breakfast. It's all those little things that would make me stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2010