After a week of traveling throughout the UK and staying in University Dorm Rooms, I was thrilled to walk in and see the Dene Guest House. It had a very friendly feeling and it was clean, cozy and warm. Our room (#5 - double bed) was small, but sufficent and decorated pleasantly. The bed was comfortable and clean, There was a small rack for hanging clothes (which had a full lenght mirror on it - which was nice) and we had a beautiful view of the back of the guest house, which had lovely green grassy areas, lovely little purple flowers and a nice view of the local architecture. It was also nice and quiet at night, which was a god send! We had a heater in the room which worked quite well, a kettle with coffee and tea packets (although we prefered to get ours from the kitchen), a small sink and a flat screen TV with cable . The rooms on our floor shared 1 bathroom, which had a shower, sink and toilet (no tub), but I used the bathroom upstairs once or twice and I noticed that it had a bathtub in it. There is a common "living room" area with a couch, tv, guitar and plenty of magazines to read, which had lots of helpful information about local events and things to do. The Living Room also subbed as a dining room and it is where breakfast was served each morning. The breakfast was more than sufficient, with cereals, yougurts, cheeses, tea, coffee, juice, water, milk, fresh fruit and more. Guests also have the option to order from the "hot" menu, which featured classic breakfast dishes like scrambled eggs with hashbrowns or Sausage/bacon. Or my favorite, the "cookie", which featured beans, bacon or sausage, hashbrowns andeggs (any style)! The owners/caretakers were very friendly and helpful - always with a smile.
Our friends stayed in room #7 (twin room) which was located on the street side of the guest house. They mentioned that it took a minute to get used to the traffic noise from the street out in front, but that it wasn't bad at all and did not keep them up. Their room was decorated with a large Gustave Klimt print and featured all the same accomodations that we had in our room.
We were all VERY HAPPY with our rooms and the service. We loved Dene Guest House and I would definitely recommend this to anybody who is looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh. It was easy to walk (or cab) to all the landmarks, restaurants, monuments and attractions throughout the city. It is also just a few yards from a friendly bar, a chippie and several antique shops (we love to look in antique shops!). It was basicaly a wonderful place in a perfect location with friendly staff and good food!
The only downside is that there are only 2 parking spaces and both were used during our stay. Street parking was pay parking, which began to get expensive and a hassle to keep your eye on the clock all the time. The folks at the guest house directed us to a nearby street with free parking, but it was a bit of a nuissance to have to walk so far to the car (not that it was really all *that* far - but we were on vacation and being a bit lazy, i suppose).
Otherwise this was a dream place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming 3 star guest house is situated in the New Town area of Edinburgh's city centre. With a fairly priced combination of en-suite and standard rooms, The Dene offers flexible bed and breakfast accommodation to suit most requirements and budgets. Enjoy a relaxed, informal atmosphere and a hearty breakfast within a 15 minute walk of Princes Street. Freebies include wi-fi, luggage & cycle storage, and weekend parking. A superb combination of value and location! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Dene Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dene Guest House Hotel Edinburgh
- Dene Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland