“Try the cheese toastie with caramelised onion marmalade”

Edinburgh Farmers' Market
Ranked #100 of 396 things to do in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I ate a cheese toastie that literally changed my life. It was the best thing I ate in my month in Europe (we went to Italy and France as well -- didn't even come close). I don't know which stall this was, but yes you want caramelised onion marmalade and yes you want a brownie with that.

My girlfriend bought some fancy flavoured alcohol. The guy at the stall was great -- gave us a taste of rhubarb rum at 11am on Saturday. The girlfriend loved it.. and she hates rum.

Also, the various burgers smelt so good. I regret that the cheese toastie filled me up so much, that I couldn't try one.

I'll be back.

in 25 reviews
"castle"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our first visit to the market, wish we hadn't been going somewhere after because it meant we couldn't buy everything we would have liked. (Next time the cool bag is coming with us). Loads to choose from, not just meat, fish, cheese, and fruit! Every Saturday - definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank archibr
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Having just retired back to Edinburgh, we passed here 'just for a look' on an early January typical grey Saturday morning.
Negotiated with a 'Parking Attendant' (They actually speak to you in Edinburgh!) re leaving the car nearby for just a couple of minutes and nipped across. Due to the time of year it was smaller than normal.
We bought Cheeses & Meat (Some meat was frozen and they kept it in their freezer box until we passed on the way back) then bought a Buffalo Burger with Onions and then a £5 'Grunter' Hog Roast Roll with Haggis, Apple Sauce and Crackling. These Mrs eLaReF and I shared.
Next time we'll use our bus passes, since parking might be difficult especially in the dark depths of the car-park underneath the market, once the tourist season is fully under-way.

4  Thank eLaReF
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Edinburgh has so much to offer but the Farmer's Market was one of my best experiences. The farmers and vendors are happy to chat and answer questions about regional food and other products. Skip breakfast and feast on the hog roast sandwich with stuffing. The cheeses are excellent and generally you can have a taste before deciding which one to buy. And don't miss the oat crackers - the ones with cheese were my favorite. Visiting the market is much more than purchasing food, you can learn more about traditions and meet true craftsmen(women).

3  Thank Eileen F
See more reviews
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The very best of local produce from Fife and the Lothians evry Saturday morning at Jognston Terrace just behind the Castle; freshest fruit and veg in season as well as oven ready meats and seafood, cheese, breads, parties and bakery products. You can also breakfast on local buffalo or ostrich burgers, hog roast, soups and the reknowned "Stoats" porridge - its a great way to spend a frosty morning in the fresh air of the capital city.