“Helpful staff”

Ranked #355 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Helpful staff”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights on a work trip, our room was huge and had everything you could possibly need, large clean bathroom, comfy double bed and bed settee, 2 televisions. It was especially good as the room was semi divided into 2, ideal when travelling with colleagues. One receptionist especially was amazingly helpful and went above and beyond the call of duty for us. Overall this hotel is far from posh, but it's close to the centre, and clean with amazing staff at a very reasonable price.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
cumbria
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here February 2014 for two nights, after reading the reviews I was terrified by what I might find. The reception when we checked in was unwelcoming and dirty, cobwebs and dead spiders on show, the carpets looked like they had not seen a hoover in years. The paint was falling off the doors. We booked a double room with bathroom and it was actually not as bad as I dreaded it would be. The bed was comfy and we looked out onto the road and the park across the road, bathroom was ok and shower hot every time it was used.
I enjoyed my weekend in Edinburgh but will not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smithy30

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

When a few friends and I suddenly came into 5 tickets for the Scotland v England game in Edinburgh, I was charged with finding somewhere to stay. The remit from the lads (who'd paid £130 for train tickets) was i) In Edinburgh itself ii) good value (ie cheap) and iii) clean.

When I started looking on TA, I soon realised that this wasn't going to be easy - I would normally go for minimum 4 stars but they were coming up around £250 for a twin. To cut a long story short, I stumbled upon this place as they had a room sleeping 6 people and I thought "well, it is only one night"..

I called them direct and negotiated a fantastic price but we were all a little concerned about how decent it would be. It was fine, not the Ritz but clean and served it's purpose well. Why only 3 stars.? There was a party in the room above us until about 2.30am and somebody (must have been staff) opened the door to our room in the middle of the night until I shouted "Who's that.?!" - very strange, they'd have been brave to take on five big lumps.

It's a good mile and a half from Waverley Station but serves it's purpose quite well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for two nights, one being New Years Eve at an outrageous price.
Didn't receive any extra value for almost double the standard rate.
Location was good and bus stop nearby.
Couldn't check in until 3pm and not a moment before.
No elevator, so had to carry suitcases up two flights of stairs.
Room was tiny with mould all around the windows in the bathroom.
Double bed was two singles pushed together.
No window, only a skylight, so no view as mentioned on the website.
I would call this backpacker accommodation, NOT a hotel by any means.
Had to pay for breakfast, so didn't bother as we thought it would be overpriced and second rate along with the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lindalindalinda25
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Apart from the price we paid for New Year's Eve, this b&b is okay and met our needs for the one night we stayed which was a bed and a bathroom. Location is good, about a mile walk to the city centre and parking is available on a well lit street outside. There is a bus stop over the road which takes you to the city cente. The room we had was at the back of the building through a warren of corridors. Not a very nice smell along the corridors, however it disappeared in the room. The room was clean and warm and had an opening window. Tea and coffee provided. Bathroom okay apart from the light fitment which was hanging from a cable! Beds were a little lumpy and bumpy but after a few drinks it didn't bother me too much! There were also problems when you opened main room door as the self close bar at the top didn't work so when you opened the door it hit the wall and the door only opened halfway. Can't comment on breakfast-didn't choose the option which I'm glad about as the breakfast room was not very inviting. This is a fabulous old building that needs lots of TLC.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We booked a double room there and arrived at late night. We rang the door bell, and checked in. We did not know that we need to pay additional fee for the late check in, it's 10 pounds. I think it's more like a B&B or a lodge. It looked old. The room was small. The bathroom was quite small too. The furniture were old, but fine. They provided kettle and tea. The hotel was basic and fine, but for the same price, I would prefer something better though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Malta
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Sometimes I'm writing a review and I wonder whether I'm referring to the same hotel as other reviewers or if I'm just plain lucky . . .

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week and I cannot really fault it.

Firstly, keep in mind that accommodation in Edinburgh is really expensive so paying €175 euro each for 4 nights it's already a good offer. We booked a triple room and instead we were assigned a huge (by British standards!) Quadruple, it had 2 singles and 1 double bed. The Room was 'quite' clean except for the shower, it has seen better days, maybe some bleach would help.

The Chambermaid made our beds on a daily and towels were also changed daily.

The area is not rough as someone said, I lived in Edinburgh for a year and by no means you can say that Leith (Pilrig road is just off Leith street) is a rough area unless you're a really uptown person and in that case I wouldn't suggest staying at this hotel in the first place.

Room Tip: Room No. 5 is Great!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends