“Over priced and freezing”

Edinburgh House Hotel
Ranked #358 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for New Year's Eve and paid £200.00 for a superior double room. Superior is not the way I would describe this room. It was dark, even with the lights on, as a woman it was a nightmare to try and get ready to go out because of how dark it was. There was no mirror in the room, only in the bathroom, which made it harder still to ready.
The bathroom was FREEZING, had I not been travelling for quite a few hours to get home I would have bypassed a shower because the bath room was way too cold. There was a radiator on in this room, however the room itself was not much warmer and I struggled to get to sleep because it was cold.
I would have left my room to complain however we could hear a drunken arguement going on in the corridor. We where there for news years eve, I expect some drunken noise, but that argument was just allowed to carry on and on, with nothing done to try and help other guests sleep.
Breakfast was only served until 9am, which on news years day seemed a little early as I would imagine most of the guests would have been sleeping in after a late night, but the room where you ate was a small area in front of reception so not sure I would have felt comfortable eating there had I have made the effort to get up in time!!
Although it was news years eve I still found this hotel extremely over priced and nowhere near the standard of other hotels that we have stayed in whilst in Edinburgh. DO NOT STAY here, shop around!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in late June. It looks nicely tended from outside and staff were friendly enough. We had booked a triple room, which contained 1 double bed and two single beds on the first floor, which was right by the stairs, so it was a little loud at times, fair enough, not much we can do about the other guests.

The room itself wasn't the best. There was one window, which we tended to keep open because it got quite humid in the room. There was one closet style cupboard which was very limited on hangars considering the room was for a number of people and there wasn't any drawer space, so we spent most of our 4 night stay living out of our bags.

The tv didn't work very well, but we didn't bother complaining as we didn't spend much time trying to watch it. The cleaners made up the room nicely when we were out, and the sheets and pillows looked clean enough, as did the towels. The bathroom was appalling though. This hotel is an old converted property, made up of larger than average rooms with tall ceilings, but the bathroom had been created by closing off a corner of the room diagonally and trying to fit a shower, sink and toilet in there. It was like trying to use the bathroom in an old caravan instead of a hotel. This was supposed to cater to 3-4 people?

Luckily the hotel is convenient for transport into the main city centre as the bus stop was across the road. A day ticket is very cheap and the bus system easy enough to get to grips with, and extremely prompt.

Having said that, for all that the location was convenient (you could walk in and out of the city centre), I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel again, or at least not part of a larger group. Perhaps the smaller rooms were more nicely laid out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Found this hotel very cheap so expectations were not high but we arrived to friendly reception and the room was very comfortable and very clean! Great shower! Didn't take breakfast option so couldn't comment on that but it's good for what you pay for. Would recommend, just remember you get what you pay for and we got a comfy bed in a very clean no frills hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 5, 2012

we could pretty much come and go as we liked, there's nothing wrong with it even if many reviews stated that the rooms were really poor, we didn't find that at all. They were really functional, and fairly clean. Yes, some of them are on upper floors, but that is also stated at the booking moment.
It might not be a luxury hotel, but it also doesn't cost the money a luxury hotel would cost. For the price we paid it was fair.

Room Tip: we stayed on the higher floor (where the rooms up to 15 are) and there was no noise problem at all.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Please don’t book at this place !!!

1. Room no 1
- Water tripping from the lights and smoke detector
- carpet soaking wet
- the room was freezing cold due to the wet carpet
- continental breakfast - couple of cheap own brand cereals that get put back in a cupboards with a tray over it some milk and orange in jugs , meat slices uncovered and could have been out for hours ALSO the staff stare at you with you eat !!!!! As the tables are in the reception in front of the desk. No hot foods at all
- check out time is 11am at 10.45 a member of staff knocked on our door and just walked in, when I complained at the reception there excuse was the room was open- what the hell. We made a complaint and the said the would refund us £25 of the £59.00 we paid.

Wont be Staying at this place anytime soon HORRIBLE!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doulin
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I spent four nights in the smallest single room I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. It made me realise I would never survive in prison! There was nowhere to store anything, the bed was uncomfortable, the curtains were falling down and I could hardly move around the room at all. It was the worst place I have ever stayed in in my life and I will never return there. I was also cold - the heating was on but the bed had the thinnest quilt ever. I had to put my coat on in bed! Terrible, terrible, terrible. I will never recover from the experience.

Room Tip: Always look at reviews from other travellers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lynne187064
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am glad I didn't pay the full £110 quoted for a single room. £86 for two nights B&B was still pretty steep for what was basically a hostel. A very faded Victorian building the en suite and room were clean enough, some marks on the wall in the teeny servants quarter attic room.The shower head needed a bit of a clean (i'll send my bill). The continental breakfast looked like it had been bought at Scotmid earlier in the week. I think this place needs to be more honest with what it is and drop it's prices accordingly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo