“Nice hotel to stay a few days”

and 1 more site!
Abbot's House Hotel
Ranked #360 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Hofors, Sweden
“Nice hotel to stay a few days”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed a night at this hotel. Came straight from the airport in the morning but got the key and could leave the luggage at the reception for a visit to the castle. Left to early for breakfast. The bathroom left a lot to desire. A bathtub with a shower handle without a shower curtain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Davisburg, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at this B&B for one night during a trip to Edinburgh. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious. However, the room left a lot to be desired. It was in the basement and smelled a lot like urine. The toilet in the room would not flush and the bathroom was not clean. There is not very much soundproofing and I was woken up by other visitors a lot during the night. In the morning after breakfast my key no longer worked in the door as the lock had gotten stuck. In the end, one of the people working at the B&B had to break the door to get me back into my room to get my suitcase.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Corby
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of the Fringe Festival. It was a lot cheaper than almost anywhere else in Edinburgh, so we had reservations but it turned out to be absolutely fine. The hotel is situated around Leith Links which is about 2.5 miles away from the centre. We walked in one day and it took about an houre. Much better was the bus stop across the Links which got us into the city in 10 minutes. We arrived 3 hours before check in and the room wasn't ready, but the guy gave us a key and let us leave our bags in the room, which was handy because we then just went and spent the day wandering about the city.

The room didn't have an ensuite (although some rooms do) which was annoying but we knew that when booking and the bathroom was literally outside our door, so it wasn't too bad. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed. It also had a kettle with tea and coffee and TV with freeview. In the morning we had a free buffet breakfast with toast and cereal etc. They also offered a cooked breakfast for £5. We were at the back of the hotel with only one room next to us, so it was pretty quiet where we were. The room next door did decide to start banging on our wall one night for some reason when we were sleeping and absolutely silent. Apart from that we had a really peaceful stay. I'd recommend this hotel as it is very cheap, but I would suggest booking early to ensure you can get a room with an ensuite bathroom.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CA-1983
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stay through my life in a lot of B & B. This was by far the worst I've come across. To call the room I booked a family room is a crime.

The room is a good size with plenty of beds. That's not the problem. Its damp not ventilated at all. The window opens but you can’t lock it. As the window open into the car park at ground level I call the room a cellar. The toilet / bath room is for a family room extremely small. That does not have to be a problem. But it being extremely smelly and dirty is a problem.

I do not have a problem that the room is plain and ugly, just that it's not a healthy place to stay in and it's being called a family room. This implies that it's fit for children. IT"S NOT.

The problems did not end there. In room 1 there was a man screaming. This worried my wife and more so my children. I went up to the proprietor and he went down to see. After hearing the problem he tried to get the man to open the room. He did not, so he went to get the spare key. By this time I was fed up with the situation. I went off to find alternative accommodation. This I found nearby. I went back to Abbots house to find that 3 police officers had arrived and my daughter in tears. Whilst I was gone the screaming man had come to the door of the room 5 demanding my children to open the room. Threatening to kick down the door.

I can’t blame the proprietor for this problem, as he is not to blame for the man’s mental problems. But I can complain about the way he handled the situation. He was rude from start to finish. I'm convinced this isn't the first time they have had complaints about the rooms. People will complain if they get a family room that is not fit to be a family room.

They where not willing to refund the booking.

Room Tip: If you go left outside Abott's house across left the field there are several B&B. The one we...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Well i have never been to a place like it.
1, A double basic room.. it was less then basic it was horrific
Sheets a tad stained so had to double the duvet and as that was no so stained.. No mattress protector and the springs on this very old mattress sticking out.
2, the noise from flushing loos taps running kept me away till late. Then again the noise from the drug house next door work me up at 3am. Dave the local druggie wanted his medication. I know his name because the police were there and every one was shouting.
2, The shared bathroom. well i have never had a shared bathroom before and im open to the concept. But im sorry to say i really didn't want to share with the two cockroaches i saw in the shower . So i just had a quick wash in the broken wash basin. I have never been so happy to get into my car and leave.
for £67 a night you should be ashamed. And how dare you call your self a hotel. And for all them people that said it was wonderful must be working for this place.

Room Tip: if the other rooms were like mine DONT GO.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013

When we booked here, we thought it was overpriced but we thought we should be close to where we needed to return our rental car. Well Leith is not a good part of Edinburgh! The neighborhood is run down and seedy. We were told before booking that there was off street parking (the main reason we chose this place!) but when we arrived there was only room for 6 (the manager said it would hold 6) but 4 cars were parked willy-nilly and there was no more room. The manager refused to ask anyone to park better and there wasn't any painted spaces anyway. This car park was for a 37 room hotel! So we arrived and they put us in the basement! There was only one small window at ground level. The room was dank and hot. The bathroom was in poor shape--the toilet wobbled when anyone sat down and the fawcett in the sink was so loose I thought it might break off completely. When we went to the room, not only was it in the basement, but to get to it was like going down a rabbit hole with stairs down, hallways turning, doorways everywhere. Anyway, we immediately asked for another room, but the manager said they were full and there were no rooms to move us to. He refused to address any of the conditions either, saying he had called a plumber.

The bed mattress was thin and the bedside light on one side did not work. The atmosphere felt so oppressive that I had trouble going to sleep. I felt trapped. Everytime someone came in, they had to go through numerous "fire" doors that the noise was awful.

Breakfast was ok, but was extra and not worth the 5 pounds per person charge, Coffee had not been started when we came down for breakfast, even though we had told management when we wanted breakfast and they were happy with the time we requested. Not only was it slow in coming, but it was not being refilled even when others wanted some.

I would not recommend anyone stay at this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our room was in the basement,or lower rooms pending how you want to look at them,with the window at pavement level.Good size room for just the 2 of us,but a bit stuffy in the evenings on hot days,beds were also a bit hard,ask for extra pillow ( which never arrived )so with the heat,bed and noise from the plumbing i did have a hard time sleeping.Food to me was very good, well cooked and presented,Found the staff very friendly and had time to talk to you,which makes a change from other places.Since we only stayed for weekend found it value for money.
Would like to make a small suggestion or to,hot days have some fans in the lower rooms and extra pillows on the beds as found your pillows to soft.Many thanks and wish you all the best.

Room Tip: Ask for higher rooms,maybe less noisiest
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends