“The staff were the redeeming feature!”
Review of Balmore House

Balmore House
Ranked #340 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The staff were the redeeming feature!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The main problem for us (and the reason I wouldn't recommend this B&B) was that we had so little sleep, despite buying ear-plugs after the first awful night - Some of the rooms appear to have had en-suites 'added in', and these are 'inside' other people's bedrooms. This is hard to explain, (bear with me!) - Next door's ensuite was built into our room, not with a full wall, but with a thin partial wall that reached to a metre or so from the ceiling. We could hear every noise that next door made, from their toilet habits (in gruesome detail), to their late-night showers, and every time they switched the bathroom light on in the night it lit up our bedroom ceiling! As our ensuite was built into the next room, I imagine they had the same problem. Other things weren't ideal - for example, there is no reception desk so when we arrived we felt a little bit lost and ended up in the breakfast room looking for staff; As such, help on finding our way around/maps etc wasn't offered, and we had to ask for this. No-one asked how our stay was, and my Mum stopped me making a complaint as she didn't want to be thought of as a problem. Also, the luggage storage was simply putting our bags in the corner of the breakfast room, which didn't feel very secure.

On a brighter note, the staff were lovely and friendly, and the cooked breakfast was great, although choice was limited (no porridge, no fresh fruit). The room was spotlessly clean, there were extra blankets in the bedroom, and the bathroom was a good size. For us though, this wasn't enough to justify lack of sleep! Especially as the trip was a present for my Mum's special birthday, so I had hoped for better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without someone else's ensuite built into it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for two nights on our trip to scotland.actually there are two houses,we stayed in the other opposite the reception and breakfast room.the room was very big and cosy.but there were cracks on the wall and there were hair on the sheets and on a towel.the heating was not working so we spend the first night with an extra blanket.the other day the manager,who was very polite,gave as a portable heater,the plumper couldnt come i suppose.breakfast was very good and the staff polite.its not to close too old town but not too far if you like walking about 15 minutes.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Natasa A
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have just spent a weekend in Edinburgh for a surprise birthday trip for my husband. We stayed in the Balmore which is an old Victorian style house. The main hallways and landings were fine, as was the breakfast room. However, our room needed a lot of TLC. It was very old and tired, which in itself is not much of a problem for 2 nights, but things were broken, or missing. There was a large old fashioned style chest of drawers at my side of the bed, but none of the drawers had both handles on and one of the drawers had no handles on, which rendered it useless. The wardrobe wasn't a wardrobe as such it was the old style closet, which many houses of this type have, it was very small, which can't be altered as it was built with the house but the door wouldn't close. This was probably a good thing for us because it didn't have a handle either. Some attempt had been made to drag the bathroom into this century but the bracket for the shower head was broken and the shaver light was also broken. The worst thing was the noise from next doors either toilet flush or shower, or it could have been both. This was awful, extremely loud to the point of making the bed vibrate, sometimes it lasted only a few minutes and sometimes it went on for quite a while. Do not stay in room 18. It is also at the very top of the house, up 2 flights of stairs.
The owner was very friendly and the staff couldn't do enough for the guests. I cannot fault them. The breakfast was good. All in all it was ok for 2 nights but I would not go back.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms at the top of the house. Rooms 16 - 18, unless you are as fit as a butcher...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Me and my sister took seperate rooms in this lovely guesthouse. Although I lived just other side the street, that was no problem. I lived like in my own apartment. My room was clean, comfort, woodfloor!!, nice furnitures and pictures also the size was ok, good bed and hot shower and you could use the thermostate by yourself to keep the room warm during the days and cooler in the nights (which suit me just fine). Bus connections were really great, from this street 10 and 27 and just close to for example 15, 16 etc, and you could travel straight to the shopping Princess street or to the Royal mile ( by 27). We visited also Rosslyn chapel by number 15. It' was sooo easy, just take daily ticket 3,50 Pounds. From airport we travel by bus 35 , which left us just other side of the channel but it was only 250 m to the Gilmore place.
Breakfast was unbelievable: every morning you could choose different one, I loved scrumbled eggs and grilled bacon and toast with marmelade and lot of tea. The breakfast room was also lovely. Near this guesthouse was many great restaurants and pubs, like Katie's diner. The owner was friendly and also those young boys and girls. Although the weather was cold and windy, we had just great holiday and I was so pleased that I choosed this guesthouse!!

Room Tip: Single rooms are only 2, one in main house and the other next to ( Annex?) - the size was ok, bigger...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Recently had an overnight stay in Family room. Myself with 3 children. Extremely generous sized room, ample space. Room can and would easily accommodate a family of 5. 2 double beds & 1 large single bed. Room was ensuite.
Parking for 2 cars, strictly a first come first serve, owner made a valid point that the location is so central that a car not necessary (if thinking of hiring). Breakfast in conservatory , with a small area with a couple of tables if you wish a bit more privacy. Great breakfast menu, good quality food.
If you are a family of 5, I guess you possibly in a position of having to have 2 rooms to accommodate in a hotel.
The combined cost for the two rooms would easily exceed the cost of this excellent family room for 5.
Great service & friendly , helpful staff. Would definitely stay again & recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank paullumsden
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

It was very clean and tidy, no complaints there. However our room was tiny and it was a walk down the street from the main building which I was not aware of when I booked. We had our own bathroom but it was not in the room, it was a walk down the hall. The owner was friendly and called to pre-book cabs for us when we were leaving which I thought was very nice! The breakfast was good and well organized, but only one for a short period of time 8-9 am I believe. So if you aren't around in that time frame, you miss out on breakfast which you are paying for anyway. Not a whole lot of complaints, just thought the price was a bit high. Location is great though!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AIRDRIE< SCOTLAND
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this bed and breakfast on 02.03.13 as we were going to a show. The guest house is in a great location nice walk to the castle or princes street. We stayed in the annex building which was directly across from the main part of the hotel. The room was lovely and very warm, it was very modern. Breakfast was ordered in advance which was a fab idea as it meant you were not kept waiting in the morning, there was plenty of choice and the staff were very friendly and efficient. We will defenetly stay at the Balmore guest house again the next time we are staying in Edinburgh .
Thanks for a lovely welcome.
Maureen and peter dymock