“a guesthouse that lives up to its name”
Review of Crioch Guest House

and 1 more site!
Crioch Guest House
Ranked #135 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My friend and I spent three nights at the Crioch on the recommendation of a friend and I was not disappointed in the least. The house sets high standards of cleanliness and the "no shoes indoors" policy is no doubt conducive to this (I happened to bring slippers with me, which was useful). I found the location to be quiet and restful with a view over Leith Links and, if a little outside of the city, handily placed for the bus stop! James was happy to advise local information and was a friendly and welcoming host. I can certainly recommend the full cooked breakfast and there were ample tea and coffee making facilities in the room if required. It's an older property but not in the least faded or tatty. It was my first extended visit to Scotland's capital and I am already pining to return!

Room Tip: if you can handle stairs, the twin room at the top of the house is quiet with nice views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Crioch Guest House

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Myself and a work mate stayed on a weekend for a work related visit recently the place is spotless and well maintained and the food and hosts are good, try to book a rear room the road is quite busy! take your slippers house rules are no outdoor footwear inside, all in all top notch guest house.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent two nights in this charming guesthouse. The rom was small, but had all I needed. The bathroom (en suite)was modern and spotlessly clean, The bed was super, and Dora and her husband were wonderfully helpful. The breakfast was super, I particularly enjoyed all the fresh
fruit with my cornflakes.
The bus from the bus stop outside tok me straight to the bus station when I left, which was very useful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

On business in Edinburgh for a fortnight, my work colleague and myself could not get booked into our usual hotels due to the festival, however our secretary managed to get us into the Crioch.
What a surprise we got when arriving, the welcome from proprietor Dora was lovely and warm, the rooms thoroughly clean, information of local eating places were provided.
Next morning a marvelous breakfast was provided by James, Dora's partner. This couple deserve an award for customer service in the guest house fraternity.
I look forward to staying there again on my next trip to Edinburgh

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After a wonderful stay here many years ago we opted to return to Crioch when we again visited Edinburgh. Of course with two small children in tow we knew our experience would be different (we needed a larger room for a start!) and we were more than a little apprehensive about how the stay would go. As it turned out our nerves where completely unnecessary and the whole experience was brilliant.

Firstly, the location of the guest house is fantastic for travelling with small children. There was parking very close to the hotel for our hire car and a bus stop directly in front of the property which made getting into the centre very easy. The hotel is right opposite Leith Links park which has a really nice and safely fenced off children's playground which was a godsend for our little people. There are plenty of relaxed dining options near the property (Dora and James are happy to provide suggestions and to call for take away if you'd prefer to eat in their dining room rather than eating out). There is also a chemist about two minutes walk away and a supermarket which was ideal for stocking up on nappies and wipes and all the other things we seemed to misplace during our travels!

We stayed in a room on the top floor with a private bathroom with a bathtub which was very useful for bathing our small children. The room and bathroom were absolutely spotless (when it comes to cleanliness the standards are definitely five star). Our room had a kind sized bed for us and a single bed for our three year old and a porta cot for our baby. It was a charming top floor room that overlooked Leith Links. Tea and coffee facilities and a hair dryer were provided in the room to make our stay more comfortable.

My husband was still talking about the amazing breakfasts that Dora would prepare for him during our first stay and he was absolutely thrilled to find that the spread on offer was just as good as he'd remembered. I would definitely suggest trying the Crioch special porridge - a secret house blend that may not please porridge purists but I found to be a fantastic improvement on that old breakfast stalwart!

What really makes Crioch special is the great service provided by Dora and James, the owners. They were so generous with their time and energy. In particular they were wonderful with our children even taking time to coax them to eat (and preparing breakfasts in such a way that encouraged our little people to be more interested in their food). There were a couple of examples during our stay when our children weren't on their very best behaviour and Dora and James handled it with graciousness and a wonderful sense of humour which of course made us feel much more comfortable.

Although a guest house may not seem like the first choice when travelling with small children I would highly recommend Crioch to other families. This place really made our stay in Edinburgh and we loved every minute of the experience.

Room Tip: I would definitely call the hotel directly to discuss your needs with the owners. They can help you...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Me and my brother arrived here via VisitScotland after our previous booking was cancelled and honestly we couldn't end up with something better! The place is really nice and clean, the room very comfortable and the breakfast...wow...mouthwatering! You have a bus stop just outside the door and you're gonna be in the centre in no time. Plenty of restaurants nearby and also a Tesco and Boots (just in case...)
The hosts are really lovely and honestly I will go there again next time I'll go to Edinburgh!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I had the good fortune to be referred by the Edinburgh Travel agency to the Crioch Guest House. We stayed there 6 days and loved it. The room was very clean and comfortable, breakfast was very good (especially fresh fruit), and James and Dora were wonderful hosts. James was a wealth of information about the city and never seemed to mind answering the questions we pestered him with. Though the Crioch is not in the center of things, it was nice to stay outside the hubbub of the city in a quiet neighborhood so easily accessible by bus. And several times we walked into the city along the Water of Leith path, which starts not too far from the guest house. If you like walking, I recommend trying it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple