“Amazing quality of service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Kilmaurs Guest House
Ranked #267 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing quality of service”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The welcoming of our hostess, Donna, was amazing. She was always available to give us tips, look at our comfort, or simply chat with us. The breakfast also is amazing and can be customized following our taste. It is well situated since it is at the corner of a bus stop that passes frequently and brings you downtown in less than 10 minutes. Also, we had no problem finding parking around the house. The only thing is that the beds could have been more comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tourmaline27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was my first trip to Scotland and I was by myself. I had a hard time finding a place to stay that wouldn't charge me for 2 people. Kilmaurs offers a wonderful single room en suite and only charges for 1 person. The owners are very nice and welcoming and well as helpful. I got in on a late flight and they were willing to let me check in at 12:30am. She also cooks an amazing breakfast. I felt completely safe, comfortable and cared for at a wonderful price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank HodgeAdventures
Leeds, UK
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I was staying with two friends for one night. We were warmly greeted by the owner who went to great lengths to make us feel welcome. Our rooms were clean and functional with a great view of Arthur's Seat. Highlight of the stay was breakfast - served in a lovely bright room - fresh fruit abounded with cereals and tasty cooked food. Not bad for £30!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank farthingate
New Milford, CT, USA
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I will say up front that I am very particular and fastidious when it comes to accommodations when traveling, and I could not have been more pleased with our stay at The Kilmaurs Guest House. I traveled to Edinburgh with my children (3 and 6), my husband and in-laws, and we chose Kilmaurs because breakfast was included and it had a room with two twins, a double bed, and a private bath. Our in-laws stayed in another room with a private bath. Donna was an excellent hostess and we were extremely happy with the service, rooms, and breakfasts. Every morning we had a delicious and filling breakfast, and we left for our adventures knowing we wouldn't have to worry for a while about where we'd want to eat next. Donna was warm and helpful in suggestions of places to see, and we felt very welcome and taken care of while we were there. I searched a long time to find a guest house/B&B that might work for my two kids, and we were thrilled to find this place. We would highly recommended it to anyone with children (and certainly to those without too!). It is a comforting home away from home, as some of the other reviewers have already said. If we are lucky enough to travel to Edinburgh again in the future, we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank slimemold
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I should really keep this little gem to myself because otherwise it will be booked up when I next visit Edinburgh!
Amazing welcome from Donna and her two lovely springer spaniels. Breakfast is basically anything you can imagine, the only problem was that I normally only have a quick bowl of cereal, so if I stay there too often I will end up putting on weight. A single room (which is actually a double bed, not one of the mean 3' beds found elsewhere) is only £30 per night, which must make it the best bargain in Edinburgh. It's a great location, a bit outside the old town but only about 15 minutes' walk (there are also plenty of buses), in a nice quiet street and fantastic views of Holyrood Park. One small gripe - I couldn't connect to the free WiFi, because I think I was using the wrong security code; although, for me this was a blessing in disguise, because it's good to get away from business emails sometimes.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Pingle99
Toronto
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I arrived late on a treacherously snowy Edinburgh night, to a concerned looking inn-keeper at Kilmaurs Guest House- who could think of nothing but to welcome me in from the storm and get me settled away. Room #6 with a beautiful view of Arthur's Seat. I took a hot shower and then made myself a cup of tea in my cozy room while checking my mail on the complimentary wifi connection, and then settled into a comfortable rest in a clean bed. Awoke to a beautiful, perfectly cooked hot breakfast in a tastefully decorated dining room with crisp white linens and shiny silverware. A perfect way to start a busy day and the perfect place to end one.
All trips to Edinburgh should be like this; I wonder about all of those lousy nights spent in standard hotels costing at least twice as much...
After 2 nights, it was time to check-out and make my way to the airport. It had snowed heavily and I spent the entire day and night at Edinburgh airport before my flight out was canceled. I called Donna to ask if I could return that night and she was happy to welcome me back. In fact, given the extraordinary circumstances and the worsening condition of the roads, she kindly offered to have my driver stay in another room!
Given excellent advice, I was able to get away on the train the next morning (as the airport was closed).
I can't think of a better place to stay in Edinburgh, at any price. Clean, well located, quiet, with the best breakfast experience around. And very reasonable and kind inn-keepers! Could a traveler ask for anything more?

Thank you Donna for a wonderful stay at the Kilmaurs Guest House.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tourister123
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I was so impressed with the Kilmaurs Guest House. As a solo traveler, I really appreciated the effort of Donna and her staff to make you feel right at home. The location was great, the room was warm and cozy (with a view of Arthur's Seat), and the breakfast was phenomenal! Donna was very accommodating of my early morning check-in.

I would definitely stay there on my next trip to Edinburgh!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo