“Great breakfast and very central location and for a good cause”

Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #28 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Bath
“Great breakfast and very central location and for a good cause”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is about 12 mins walk from Waverley Station and the Royal Mile so very central. Good value and nice rooms. Breakfast is very tasty, lots of variety and great cooked items including Scottish porridge and haggis. Room nice and big and comfy bed. The only downside was that the temperature of the shower was too hot, the sink cracked and the reception staff could be a little more cheerful and welcoming. The staff at breakfast however, were very charming. A really nice place to stay in a great city and the profits go to the Royal College of Surgeons to do philanthropic work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MWalker13, Guest Relations Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your very nice review. We are pleased you enjoyed the food and the service at breakfast. I’m sorry you felt the reception staff were unwelcoming, customer service is prioritized highly here and we take it very seriously when guests feel they were not met with the customer care they expect. We have taken your comments on board, and hope you will join us in the near future. We are pleased you noticed that our profits go to the charity-registered Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, to aid them in providing examinations and education for surgeons from all around the world.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Needing accommodation in Central Edinburgh close to Waverley Station for an aviation conference the following day I found my first stay in this commercial enterprise of the Royal College of Surgeons to be everything I required. Close to the Playfair Building and the University of Edinburgh , especially its Fine Arts Institute , and within easy walking distance of Princes Street, the National Galleries and Museums, the extinct volcano which is the Mound (how many of us know that ?) and the High Kirk of Edinburgh aka St Giles' Cathedral, this comfortable hotel is even within walking distance of the Commonwealth Pool for those minded for this type of aerobic exercise - an experience which I thoroughly recommend. My bedroom & ensuite bathroom fully covered my needs on arrival at 10 pm, I having completed consulting that day in Wiltshire at 1 pm. Tea-making facilities in the room were fine and the morning view from the window an interesting one . Scottish kippers for breakfast were an added bonus as was the company at table of an trainee surgeon who was sitting his professional examinations later that day. My own success at these had been almost 30 years earlier and I assured him that the assessment process was scrupulously fair. A good start to the day after a quiet and comfortable night. Staff attentive and informative. I shall return.

Room Tip: I suggest upper floors .
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for you kind comments! We are indeed very close to many of the main attractions in Edinburgh, and do feel that being able to walk to many of these adds to the experience of staying with us. It seems like you had a comfortable and relaxing stay with us; our guests’ satisfaction is our highest priority. We look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh.
Durham
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Lovely room but a bit cold when I arrived. Quiet. Mattress two singles put together. Sheets clean but didn't smell fresh. No tea or coffee making facilities. Another review mentions the incredibly bright green fire alarm light on all night. Customer care of staff very good, I enjoyed the breakfast. Somehow this hotel misses something though - rooms need to seem more welcoming, sheets needs to smell nice, heating needs to be on when you arrive when it's cold. And I couldn't find the TV remote ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, they are noted and will be taken into consideration. We are pleased you were happy with the customer service and our breakfast selection. We do feel that details matter, and can change a good stay into an excellent one, therefore all your feedback is valuable to us, and provides us with an opportunity to improve our service. As far as the heating not being on; this is due to our green policy, which involves turning off heating for rooms not in use. Of course it is understandable that this may be an inconvenience, but as we are very committed to the green policy, we are not able to keep heating on in our unoccupied rooms. However, we are constantly making an effort to improve our service, and will work to provide a solution to the heating issue. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ten Hill Place.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. Stayed here for one night when attending a conference and was a bit disappointed. The hotel is situated in a good central location next to the Royal College of Surgeons. I was given a quite large bedroom and bathroom which was comfortable enough, although getting rather tired and worn. The room was at the back of the hotel and it was very noisy in the street outside late at night with what sounded like students having a party. A poor breakfast in a busy cramped area, generally minimal hotel facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street at the rear of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your comments, they will be considered in our continuous evaluation of the service offered to our guests. As we are located centrally in the city, there is always a chance that there will be noise around the hotel which we are not able to control. However, we understand that after spending a long day at a conference rest is a priority. These comments on TripAdvisor help us improve our services, and if you are ever back at Ten Hill Place feel free to inform the staff about your concerns while you are with us, and we will make an effort to make your stay more comfortable.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in January 2013.

Pros: Good location, 10-15 minutes walk from city center. Nice big rooms, comfortable beds and good shower. Clean. Nice bar. Coffee and tea service in room.

Cons: Bad first impression-When we walked in we got quite a surly "welcome" from the man at the front desk, who said barely two words to us. No greetings, no information about the hotel. Put our room key on the counter and walked away to do something else. Breakfast at the hotel not included. In our room, the bathroom door was made of frosted glass, which my husband was not a fan of. It was semi-see through. As such, he felt uncomfortable and went down to the lobby to use the bathrooms there. This may not be an issue for everyone, but it was for us. Also, the smoke detector in the room had the BRIGHTEST green light I've ever seen on a smoke detector...when we turned off the lights, it lit up half the room! It could definitely have done with a dimmer light. We had to climb on a chair and tape a piece of paper over it to dim it, as it was keeping us awake. Last, this hotel has a weekly fire alarm test at 11AM. I think it was on a Tuesday? Anyhow, we had a late evening and were sleeping in when this alarm went off. It was piercingly loud and scared us half to death. Luckily we called down before making any moves, and were told it was an alarm. What would have been great, would be if we had been told about this at check in so that we expected it and were not taken by surprise while sleeping.

Bottom Line: Price, location and general amenities good. Lacking in finer details that could have made this a nicer stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris G, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear about your positive points, i'm happy we were able to deliver this for you. I must apologise however that you felt your welcome was less than should be expected - my team are well aware of the standards that must be acheived at the hotel. I am sorry that this was not the case during your arrival.
The green light is the indicator that the emergency lighting system in the bedroom is working - it is a small LED bulb and so shouldn't be enough to disturb your sleep. We have recently invested in LED fittings throughout the hotel and replaced all emergency light fittings too, helping both our statutory obligations and reducing our footprint on the environment.
Our fire alarm system is tested on a Saturday at 11am, and we do provide information in the folders in guests bedrooms to let them know. Had this taken place on a Tuesday as you descibe, this this was likely an evacuation. The fire alarm system is there to protect our guests and staff, you will understand that it must be maintained, and observed, as such.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will come back and see us very soon.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Hotel was true to word, walking distance to all, Princess Street and Central. We stayed here as near to family too. The room was not as exciting as it is described, no fridge, coffee facilities where in wardrobe. The bathroom was nice & large, but did not like the fact the door was glass & see through.
The bed was the best bit, big and very comfortable. We had one drink in bar at Hotel, 1 double Vodka/coke & 1 beer £18 !! so never bothered again.
Lots off cheep places to eat & drink, café end off the street, pubs everywhere.
I love Edinburgh and this has not put me off as I only slept there, catered elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are executive, more expensive,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here and in Edinburgh. I am a little concerned as to the prices you quote - we pride ourselves on extremely reasonable bar prices, we do not subscribe to the usual hotel bar pricing which you would expect to be high - I can only assume that this price was a mistake, and I'm sorry we couldn't fix it for you while you were here. We offer great food and drink prices, we even offer around 22 wines by the glass in our Ten Wine Bar which is certainly as good as any other hotel in the centre. We are lucky to be situated in such a vibrant area with so many options for our guests - means we have to be competitive! Again I'm sorry we couldn't have fixed this while you were here. I hope that you will come and see us again.
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Hotel location is spot on, accessible to all main tourist attractions without the need of a car. Room was only small but very clean and fresh, same with the bathroom and towels. Staff pleasant enough.

Bad points include, room was in lowest level, what seemed to be above the air conditioning unit (so loud) along with the cars flying up and down the cobbles, made it impossible to have a decent nights sleep.
Car park was full, so got a map to a NCP, awful up hill walk back to hotel with luggage.

Can't say I'd return, just due to noise of cars and car park situation. But it wasn't the worst by any means.

• Stayed March 2013
Chris G, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm happy you found your room to your liking and that our team were pleasant and helpful.
It is the case that our ground floor rooms, although set back from the side street on which we are situated, do get most of the traffic noise from any passing cars. We are set on a cobbled Georgian square so this perhaps adds to the traffic noise from outside. I am sorry you felt that this spoilt your stay - I am sure my colleagues at reception would have been happy to move you to a higher floor if you had been able to let them know - I hope that you would return to visit us, and let us know that you'd like a higher floor, or a room to the back of the hotel, which would suit you better.
We do have an agreement with a local NCP car park where a discount is offered to our guests, for use when our own car park is full - it is however a 10 minute walk back to the hotel as you state, it is usual that our reception team would advise our guests to leave thier luggage here first, i do apologise if this wasn't the case.
Thank you again for your comments, i'm glad you found our hotel to be handy and you liked your room, and I hope you will return again soon.