“TERRIBLE!!!!”

Ranked #32 of 211 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE!!!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

When we first checked in we were told there was no spaces for our car in the secure car park. (One of the reasons we had booked was due to a free car park) Due to this we had to park on a narrow street.

Our first morning there my partner had to have a cold shower! The apartment slept 5 people yet there was not enough hot water for 2 adults?!

Secondly the noise from the above apartment was terrible. We had two young children staying with us that would not settle on the Friday night until the noise stopped at 10pm. On the 2nd night our whole apartment was woken by the noise from the apartment above, that started at 12.30am, after an hour we had enough and the police was called! After they arrived the noise eventually stopped! Yet our daughter was now awake and refused to settle for the rest of the night. Why put families and group parties in the same blocks?

The carpets within our apartment were ripped, lights weren't working, there was mould in the bathrooms!

This would be the worst stay we have ever had in Edinburgh and will not be staying with ocean apartments again! TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay HERE!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay here. Super check in and super staff. The apartment was lovely a 2 bedroomed 2 bathroom. Very clean. Bus stop outside, about 30 mins from Princess Street. Asda nearby if you want to shop. Would definitely stay here again. Also near the Royal Yacht which we visited.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JRiseley
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Area is great. Next to the apartment is sea and we had a nice walk. Car parking is provided. Also you can take bus to city centre. It takes 15 minutes by bus and the nearest bus stop is around 3 mins walk from the apartments block. I liked the house. It's pretty good with self-catering facility. We had wifi as well. Stuff were great and I think price was reasonable. Good luck :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JahirRafiq
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This stay was awesome. As soon as we arrived, the gentleman at the desk came outside to help us with luggage!!! That was the beginning to a fabulous stay in a wonderfully clean and highly stocked apartment. The value was phenomenal. We had a two bedroom apartment complete with a hot pot, microwave, tea, coffee, serving dishes, cooking and eating utensils, cookware, easy access to the bus system, I could go on and on…. I would recommend Ocean Apartments in a second!

Room Tip: When traveling to the Glasgow/Edinburgh area, bring your own washcloths.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank threegirlsmom5
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Positives - Good sized, good light, good area to jog around (for walk lovers)

Negatives - 1. requested for a microware bowl and the response was that we only provide microwave bowl cover but not the bowl. It costed me just 75p to buy from Asda across the road but the apartment people were not ready to invest that 75p. I left it for them to use later.
2. When I requested the front desk to do me a favor and scan few documents (or let me scan) I was told that we don't do that for any customer. Bravo!
3. The location is not very convenient from city centre although if someone is looking for a near the ocean experience and quiet place to stay then not a bad choice. Not enough restaurants and if its raining then you might end up either just cooking or ordering a homedelivery.
4. I called in 3 days after vacating the apartment as I had forgotten a book. I was told that they will check and call me back which they never did. I called back to enquire and I was told that housekeeping did not find anything. In my experience if a guest forgets something then the housekeeping retains it for few days and also inform the guest through the contact information available. None of those was done and my belongings were disposed immediately on departure. How rude and unhelpful is that!
5. The sales team never responds to emails unless you are doing a new booking with them.
6. I had to leave 2 days earlier than end of my booking about which I requested at the front desk and even though I had booked directly with them I was told there is no refund at all if you leave early. I obviously tried to contact sales but to no response.

Room Tip: The best view would be in block B facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Spacious and clean self catering apartments. Very comfortable and cosy. Everything you could need for a long weekend/a weeks stay.
The location is slightly out of the hustle and bustle of the city centre, which we felt was advantageous. Easy access to the city by bus.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Claire M
Cork
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have regularly stayed at Ocean Apartments when visiting Edinburgh. They offer good value and are ideally placed next to Ocean Terminal which offers good shopping and restaurants. Leith walk is a short distance away and taxis to and from central Edinburgh are easy and quick. This is not really a hotel - more serviced apartments which are tidy and well appointed although some do require upgrading/decorating as I fear they sometimes get heavy use (especially some weekends). When offering 'room rates', one must expect that (especially at weekends) there will be an element of young revelers piling into rooms when visiting Edinburgh and sometimes not considering others. That said, mostly all is quiet and well run. Complimentary wi-fi is a bonus as often one must pay extortionate fees at cheaper hotels for the privilage. tea, coffee, biscuits are complimentary both at reception and within the rooms. Staff are polite and friendly. Secure under ground parking is also a bonus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business