“spacious, luxury!”
Review of Ocean Apartments

Ocean Apartments
Ranked #26 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were booked in the penthouse with a great overview of the harbor and even the fireworks (during the Military Tattoo) at castle could be overseen. Needless to say that this place is the best spot in Edinburgh for a (short) break... A direct bus line takes you in 20 minutes to city center and the complete kitchen where we cooked our diner (which we bought in nearby located supermarket) made our stay complete.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RobR-010

Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you get the right apartment then you are overlooking the Royal Yacht. In fairness to the company for the money you pay these are great deals. They were obviously built as 2 bed apartments to sell to the public and due to the economic downturn are being used as hotel-Apartments and as such whilst great value for money they are getting rather tired - although be assured they are clean.

You pay your money and take your choice if you do not like hotels and like space and getting your own breakfast and eating it in your bathrobe these are well suited. It is easy to get food from the 24 hour Asda which is 5 minutes walk away and there is lots of night life 20 minutes walk away with lots of food places etc and also a multiplex as well.

We parked for free during the day at the near by Ocean Shopping centre and took the bus in to the centre of Edinburgh (buses every 10 minutes) and this saves the nightmare of parking in the centre as well

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeffmartin21
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We recently stayed here for three nights and the apartments are idea.

Even before arriving the information Emailed from staff was excellent, Emailing for a further breakdown of the type of set up we would require in each bedroom. I gave them a quick call to go through all this and the staff over the phone were extremely helpful and informative with the questions I had.

On arrival we were informed our room wouldn't be ready till 3pm which we were already aware of, the staff were happy to check us in, give us the keys and the keys to the down stairs car park. They do offer a free holding for luggage but we didn't require this.

There is an elevator which goes from the car pack below right up to which ever floor you would require.

We hopped on a bus, which is only 2 minute walk from the apartments. A day ticket costs £3.50 Adult and £2.00 Child but that will let you on and off buses throughout Edinburgh all day.

Our room was spacious and clean. The kitchen fully kitted with crockery, pots, pans, utensils fridge freezer and washing machine. They provide dishwasher tablets, scourers, cloths, towel and washing up liquid as well as tea coffee and sugar.

We had a beautiful view which the double windows opened to allow a lovely breeze. We were on the 3rd floor which gave us a wonderful view of the Royal Yacht straight ahead, Arthurs seat and the Castle. All lovely views individually but we were lucky to have all three in sight from our windows.

There is a dining area within the livingroom/kitchen however it doesn't at all take away from the spacious room.

The main bathroom was kitted with bath and shower. The en suite a double shower. Small soaps, shampoo and conditioner provided and more than enough towels provided as well.

The beds were comfortable and clean. The decor very modern and clean. I had read a few comments about marks on carpets and walls. There is general wear and tear but that really is all it is. I wouldn't even mention it however I felt that some people might be put off reading other comments as I know it did put a slight bit of doubt in my mind before we went. It really is general wear and tear and I am pleased I didn't let such a nit picking opinion put us off from going.

You are central to many areas of Edinburgh and a 15/20 min walk from the Royal Yacht, and Ocean terminal which provides shops, eateries and a cinema. There is a 24/7 Asda a 10min walk away as well as some lovely walks around the water area.

I would recommend this to family and friends, and already have done. A worthwhile trip and with so much to see and do in Edinburgh a good central base.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank girlandguynextdoor
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The apartments are really big and comfortable. We had two bedrooms and two bathrooms, both spacious. The beds are really comfortable and you also have a washing machine. There is a nice kitchen and a living room with a TV and a DVD player. The only bad thing is that it is very far from Edinburgh, 30 minutes with a bus.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TinaR_Koper
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at Ocean Apartments for 3 nights. I had to admit it worth more than 3 stars but must be less than 4 stars. So I hope my review content do them more justice here.

Things I like:
+ Nice quiet location: We live on the ground floor, so no great view for us. But the great view is literally just at our door step. Within few minutes walk, I can see the ocean. The neighborhood is reasonably quiet and I feel safe here.
+ Convenience: Close to downtown. I drove, so I did not try to No. 10 bus but I feel that it's quite frequent. The ASDA nearby opens 24 hours.
+ Space: For 2 person, we got a huge apartment with one bedroom, one bathroom, kitchen, and a living room.
+ Underground parking: Free
+Friendly staff: Managers there are friendly. When I said my bed was arranged wrongly (I requested Double instead of Twin), she sent people to fix it immediately.

Things I DON'T like:
- Uncomfortable Matress: It feels like it has been used for 10+ years!! Basically, the springs are pointing at you.
- Aged/Dirty Sheets: As said, I slept the first night with the twin bed setting - the sheets are bad and stuffy.... The double bed setting cure the problem, but still... be careful.

- Short Management Hours:
Why didn't I change the first time I find that my bed setting was wrong and had to suffer a night of uncomfortable sheets? The office closes at 5pm during weekend and 7pm on weekdays - had to wait until 9am before anyone could answer this kind of requests. We had to self check in using a code (emailed to you) at the key box too.

Frankly, I have stayed in service apartments in US, UK, and China at similar price but I yet to find one with such a short business hour!

- Un-thoughtful Interior:
Although the apartment is spacious, we find thing here and there are quite annoying. The equipment works fine but doors closes itself without any doorstop provided.

When you open the main door, you only see 5 closed doors in front of you Bedroom , bathroom, living room, washer/dryer room, unknown room (NO, we can't open this, we never know what it takes us - another annoying feature).

We have a washer and dryer unit but no laundry tablets are given. On the other hand, we have no dishwasher unit but we were given 2 dishwashing tablets! Ironic.

We have a glass door opens directly to a balcony (?) that directly face the street - no fence or whatsoever divide us from the street - quite scary at first. I got used to it in the later nights.

Conclusion:
Honestly, I hate the place when I first checked in because of the problems mentioned above. But I enjoyed it after about 2 nights. I like the space and the convenience. I like the neighborhood. But i am sure I cannot stay in this apartment for more than 5 nights. Thus the title.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank notavailableee
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a fine (but short) stay here. The flat was a little bit worn (carpets were used and some stains on the plinths), but clean and very large for us, it offered space for 5 persons, had two bath rooms and a large kitchen and living room. The view on the Ocean Terminal was great, and a bus connection nearby. We had everything we needed, and the service was fine too. We intend to come back again when staying next time in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank zaphod9992004
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Apartments completely self contained and supermarket nearby, Very convenient bus to city leaves every 10 mins saves parking hassles in city, better then staying in the city. Very friendly staff. We had a great view of Britannia . Very modern and spacious. Comfortable beds.

Room Tip: On a high floor would offer a good view