“A very warm welcome”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #152 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here in September with my mum and dad. We were really looking for somewhere homely and not too far from the city and Aynetree definitely delivered. When we arrived we were very impressed by the building's gorgeous facade and then were made to feel at home straight away by Brian and Anne.

The room we stayed in was absolutely lovely , spacious and well-equipped. The whole guesthouse is very cosy and warm though, which I feel is very important in Edinburgh. The huge variety they offer at breakfast was very impressive and Brian was extremely attentive.

It really does feel like you're staying at someone's (lovely) home but with plenty of privacy too. I'd recommend Aynetree to anyone going to Edinburgh and will definitely be staying there next time I visit.

1  Thank Sarah F
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hi Sarah, We are so glad that you loved our home. You were delightful guests and pleasant in every way. Thank you. Brian.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The location of this guest house was good. A bus stop at the door takes you in to town, about 4 miles. Across the road a bus will take you down the coast. Portobello beach is within walking distance, about a mile and a half. Room at the back was quite and comfortable, never heard a sound from next door, although floors are the original wood. An old house, so rooms high and large. Unfortunately, the kettle had to be on the floor to be plugged in. Not very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for the great review. Yes, we are reasonably near the beach (other direction from the city). It is a great place to go for a long walk if you want to escape the shops and activity in the centre. There is a lovely restaurant there facing the beach and there is also a good pub with great outdoor space facing the beach with live music (folk normally) on set nights. We have many guests who wander down there for a meal and watch the sun set on the beach. That is when the sun makes an appearance! The kettle will have to be addressed and Brian is on the case. I am afraid that we may have to dig in to the lovely wood pannelling to run a cable and that may be not a choice that we would perhaps make.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed 2 nights here after visiting the highlands. Car park was a big bonus and the bus right outside the house was great. The lady met us at the door, showed us where to park and then checked us in to our room. Room was great, big bed and lovely and warm. The room was clean and well decorated. Breakfast was plenty and tasted haggis for the first time (never again though). Journey to the city was easy.

Room Tip: Bus to the city is easy compared to London
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Hi Diana. Thank you for the great review. Yes, the car park is a bonus and you can park your car then jump in a bus to the centre. Haggis is usually eaten in the evening but I like our guests to taste it so that they do not have to spend £8 for a haggis dinner in town and perhaps not like it. Cheers. Anne.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at this guest house for a couple of nights recently. Brian and Ann that run the place are very knowledgeable of Edinburgh and were able to point us in the right direction on where to go and what to see. The place was refreshing clean and warm and had all the extras that one needs on a short stay away from home. The breakfast was plenty with a wide variety. The towels were crisp and clean. The bus stop outside went straight into the city. The room was slightly on the small side but for value for money was well worth it.

Room Tip: We faced the front of the house and was quiet considering we faced the main road
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for reviewing. Yes, we have had secondary accoustic double glazing intalled (2 years ago) and this makes an amazing difference to the front of the house.It also makes the house so much warmer in winter. A great investment. Hope you come back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Anne did not only give us a warm welcome but also provided us with lots of useful information. The family room, which easily fits 3 adults, was spotless clean with comfortable beds, TV, Tea and Coffee maker. The en suite bathroom was small but with everything you need – 24hours hot water, hair drier and enough towels.

Breakfast was excellent. Started with a choice of cereals or porridge and completed with full Scottish breakfast or just a small part of it, individually tailored to your taste. There was juice, coffee/tea (ordinary black) or a variety of herbal/special black teas you never get in any other hotel.

It takes around 20min by bus to the city centre and the bus stop is just in front of the house. Buses are cheap and run frequently which makes travelling from and to the city very easy. There is a lot to explore in Edinburgh and Anne as well as Brian provided us with helpful brochures and we could even buy a voucher for the castell which prevented us from queuing.

Reading the past two comments I just think it’s not easy to please all people and some costumers are never happy. We truly enjoyed our four nights at this friendly B&B and would recommend it at any time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Nicole, Thank you so much for your sincere words. I am glad that I was of help in helping plan your day. Yes, it is true that if is difficult to please all the guests all of the time. But at least I try. This is all I can do at the end of the day. I hope to see you both again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

After I read so many great reviews about Aynetree Guest House, I was expecting a miracle. Ok, not literally, but one would expect two very friendly and nice hosts as well as warm B&B atmosphere along with delicious breakfast.Unfotunatelly I was wrong. First of all, we have not seen Anne during our whole stay. Brian was helpfull but not as people described here, he gave us basic informations that we asked for and wished us good morning before breakfast. And that's the whole "perfect hosts" story. Room was a lot smaller than described so we tried to squezze in our luggage in one small corner. Bathroom wasn't cleaned during our stay. Rooms are pricey. More than enough factors to give this B&B 2 stars.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jelena R
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

These two people stayed here a year ago and then decided to write a review. They booked the petite room which means it is a small room. It is also classed as the "budget room". The price they paid was £24 each which included breakfast, car park and WiFi. The reason the price was so low was because it was October. £24 would hardly be enough for a night out in town for one person. As for not meeting me (Anne). I work from 7am 1st March to 30th September until 6pm at night in the guest house. In the winter months I work less hours as we have less guests. Brian can cope with breakfast on his own.The guests never met me because they were out when I start for the day (10am). If they wanted to meet me they could have hung around until this time. As for the bathroom not being cleaned.Utter lies as I pride myself in my standards.If the reader looks at the reviews cleanliness is high up in the score. Brian is a very friendly person and is always popular with the guests as he is a naturally good-natured chap. If these two guests could have booked somewhere else en suite for the £24 that they paid then why didn't they? Miracles only happen in fairytales.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We found the lady that run the place was very rude but the man was OK, food was reasonable and the bus stop was out the front. rooms were cramped (mind your shins on bed end)but comfortable ensuite small. we were told that Glasgow was not a place to visit by them but found Glasgow a very lovely place to go. I personally wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Room No:4 had to go across the landing to bath room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2014

Hi. The reason why I was rude to you (and if asking you to stop shouting at your wife was rude) then I hold my hand up! The scene that you both caused was witnessed by a number of guests and it was embarrassing to say the least! I would not have you here again. Or is this me being rude again?