“Fantastic service; lovely food; great atmosphere; good room”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Right in the heart of Edinburgh, stone's throw from the Castle and Princes St, lively bar, lovely food, and a great room. But what absolutely made it for us was the outstanding service. Very very unusual to get such consistently excellent service - it really made our stay. Nothing was too much trouble, but besides that, everything was done with such good humour, consideration and imagination. Whatever the staff training programme is here, it should be adopted by all hotels. Everywhere.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room which I got but it meant no view..
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,808)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a first class hotel, from the moment we arrived the staff were attentitive, very pleasant and keen to please. The rooms were excellent with all the amenities one would get in a five star hotel. Beds were very comfortable and the en suite facilities fantastic. Food, both supper and breakfast, was excellent. The ITISON deal we signed up to is to be commended to all. Overall a wonderful stay in a great hotel in a great city.

Room Tip: Top floor for great views over the Firth of Forth
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I recently stayed here with a friend due to attending a concert in the city that night. Having stayed here and in their sister hotel Ricks on numerous occasions with my husband and used the bar and restaurant for both work and pleasure I was delighted when my friend found a deal on "it is on" for DBB for £145.

I looked this three months in advance and all was well. Upon arrival I checked in and was asked for my voucher, which I had not been told to bring with me when I booked. The girls were be helpful a and informed me that it wasn't a problem as I had quoted my reference at the time of booking. But if I did come across it to email it over, if not it wasn't a problem.

The room was lovely as ever and my friend arrived, we had drinks, a great dinner then went to the concert. We returned back, had a few more drinks and went up to our room. What a fabulous night.

However, upon check out I was informed by a staff member at reception, rather rudely that I would have to pay for the room as they did not have my voucher. I relayed the whole story from check and booking to her but she was adamant that I would be paying for a room that I'd already paid for! Apparently they can't claim the money back from voucher companies with out the piece of paper! There was no coming or going with this staff member and I point blank refused to pay for the room twice. I suggested that they continue to hold the security deposit on my card that they did at check in until this matter was resolved. Paid my bar bill and left.

As they were unwilling to do the work, I had to chase "it's on" who on the upside were very helpful and sent me a copy of the voucher which I then had to send back in to Tigerlily. It has left such a bad taste in my mouth, as I was made to feel like I was essentially stealing from them!

I have received an email back from them thanking me for the voucher but no apology is forthcoming, which is disappointing from such a fabulous establishment which I have always held in high regard!

My top tip......don't use voucher websites, just sign up to their mailing list as they tend to do the same offers on there anyway. It appears that their level of service varies if they have a full price customer vs a voucher one.....I've now been both!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raelovesshoes
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

We are very sorry that you felt your check out ruined your stay with us. An apology was sent on 18th October with a request that you provide us with the best number to contact you on should you wish to discuss the matter further with our General Manager, having not received a response from yourself we understood that you felt our explanation adequate.
Unfortunately like any other establishment, be it a hotel or shop payment is required upon departure and the voucher does need to be presented. In the event of a customer not being able to provide the voucher, an alternative method of payment is required. It was explained that we would be more than happy to refund this upon receipt of said voucher should you wish to forward this onto us once returning home.
With regards to contacting Itison, we are unfortunately unable to contact them on a guests behalf due to data protection and this is why we asked that you contacted them yourself.
If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very well located in the centre of Edinburgh; the Tigerlily is a well designed hotel with cosy atmosphere good for business trip as well vacation.
The rooms are stylish and all equipped with iPod with nice playlists.
A must to have is the a drink on stunning lounge downstairs in front of a fireplace.
Lovely place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here with a friend on a special autumn deal of dinner bed and breakfast. The room was spacious and very glam! Had cocktails in the stunning lounge downstairs in front of a roaring fire. Dinner in the restaurant was a 3 course special residents meal and breakfast could either be taken in the restaurant or served in your room at no extra charge. The only drawback there was that breakfast was brought on trays rather than a trolley table, so we had to balance our plates rather uncomfortably on our laps to eat our breakfast, but it was absolutely delicious nontheless.
The staff at Tigerlily are really friendly and helpful, the surroundings are gorgeous and the cocktails are fab. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here start of october for an overnight as part of a itison deal which included a two course dinner which was nice not stunning but tasty.I upgraded our room to number 5 on first floor and it was beautiful and so big and the bed was so comfy. We didn't stay in the bar that evening we went to one of the local pubs and arrived back in hotel about 12.30 am tired as we had explored Edinburgh the whole day .once we went to bed about 1am there was no way we could get to sleep till the nightclub finished it was quite loud don't no if it was just the position of our room. Breakfast next morning was nice but I defo prefer a buffet service where you can just get and pick what you want overall we enjoyed it and would go back.

Room Tip: Don't choose 1st floor rooms if you want a sleep
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at Tiger Lily in August 2012, and would recommend to all couples. A gorgeous hotel for a romantic night away. Fantastic to have all your needs contained in one...head to the bar for a drink, then onto dinner, back to the bar and roll up to bed. Ideal!

The rooms are spacious and luxuriously decorated and kitted out. Beautiful hotel. Fantastic bar with superb cocktails. Food great also!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple