“OK”

Ranked #142 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“OK”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

the plus side of these apartments is that you get a lounge and a little more space than a travelodge.

You do also get a kitchen but I couldnt say that was a positive because our oven and hobs didnt work so it was useless to us.

These apartments are ok and offer you a bit more space than a hotel but they are a £10 taxi out of town and the quality of beds/curtains is at a travelodge level.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great location with bus stop right outside the door and lots of parking. The one bed apartment we stayed in was spacious and had everything we needed. The only downsides were that the curtains in the bedroom are very thin so we were woken up very early by the light and the mattress could do with replacing as you can feel the springs in it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and son the night before my sons graduation, as we were looking for something near the university to save us travelling through in the morning. The apartment was exactly as described, we had 2 bedrooms (1 ensuite ) giving us ample room to get ready in the morning. Initially we were sceptical as our apartment was on the ground floor beside the car park and we thought this could have been noisey but it was the opposite we never heard a sound. I would certainly stay here again if I needed to stay over in Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2013
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arrived early but were able to check in. Very spacious 2 bedroom apartment with ensuite plus bathroom. Large lounge with 2 sofas, tv and DVD player. Fully equipped kitchen with fridge, washer/dryer, microwave, oven, toaster, kettle.
Lift to all floors. Free wifi and parking provided. Bus stop outside with transport directly to the city centre.
Handy to supermarket. Some pubs and take-out nearby but we didn't use them.
Quite clean, but not spotless. I always wash all the plates, etc, when we stay in an apartment. Beds comfortable. Nice to have milk, cereal, tea, coffee as a welcome. Also plenty of toilet paper and cleaning products, eg dishcloth, detergent, tea towel, paper towel. Sometimes these things are sadly lacking. Fluffy towels. Lovely water pressure in the shower.
Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rgjde
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great location, fantastic that the bus stop was right outside, buses taking us up to the centre of Edinburgh within minutes. A big shopping centre with supermarket was just 5 mins drive away. Our apartment was on the ground floor, and despite looking out over the parking area was quiet. It was clean and tidy, and very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ClaireHickson
lexy864, Manager at Lochend Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Firstly I always like to thank guests for their review whether it is negative feedback or positive feedback on this occasion I will refrain, as I feel that this review was not left with any intent of advising future guests of Lochend Apartments or as constructive criticism for the owner.

I feel all reviews regardless if negative feedback is left are beneficial to any business in succeeding. It is only through feedback that I feel we can continue to progress and improve. Through feedback we learn what it is guests expect when using our apartments and what it is they like and don’t like, we can then act upon this and improve.

Firstly I am unsure why you felt that you had to "brace yourself" as you say before you stayed at Lochend Apartments, when you stated that you looked at our reviews before your arrival and so I am sure you will have see all of our positive feedback from previous guests,

However, I have gone through each of your points below which is actually more than the original 2 which you had indicated at the beginning of your review. I hope the feedback to your review will clear up any misunderstandings you may have had and also be useful to other guests whom are potentially looking to stay at Lochend Apartments in the future.

1. Firstly I would like to know why or how you came to the conclusion that Lochend is the worst part of Edinburgh, I find this comment very rude and unjustified especially when myself have lived, worked and been brought up in the "Lochend Area" all my life, my children go to the school in this area and the average house price is £160,000, not what I would expect from "the worst part of Edinburgh" Lochend is based near enough bang in the middle between Edinburgh’s famous Princess Street and also Edinburgh’s bustling Leith shore, which houses The Royal Yacht Britannia amongst many other tourist attractions. I am struggling to see why you feel slating where our business is based “constructive criticism” especially when the facts that you have stated are whole heartedly downright untrue. There was never a murder “nearby” and I would like to know where you consider "nearby" to be. Also saying there is hooded youths in the area, well yes I can’t say we do not have youths in the area but let’s not get on our high horse of what stigma you had attached to youths with hoodies on, in Edinburgh nearly every teenager will walk around with a hoodie on, I myself own a hoodie! But this does not mean they are bad children it is merely a fashion statement and does not categorise these local children to be Yobs.

I would also like to add it would not make good business sense for the owner (which is singular not plural may I add) of the 42 serviced apartment complex that also lives in the "Lochend" area to open a 4 star apartment complex in the "worst part of Edinburgh" or an area rife with youths in hoodies and murderers.

None of the children in this area have caused any trouble to our apartments or our guests I have also never came across any young adults to be "hanging around" the apartments. We have a school not far from the apartments and so young adults will pass the apartments but this has never been a problem for us or any other guest may I add. I will not comment on the number of sirens going past the apartments because that is just ridiculous.

We have 3 mini markets 2 minutes walk from Lochend Apartments where you can buy small essential items, we have a large Tesco supermarket not even 10 minutes walk down the road and a Sainsburys supermarket another 10 minute walk in the opposite direction, this is all listed on the welcome pack provided in your apartment.

We have a Chinese take away on the corner again not even a 1minute walk away from the apartments, a chip shop and Indian take away again not even a 5 minute walk from the apartments, how you have managed not to notice these takeaways when they are literally on the door step leads me to believe that this review is more of a chance to try and cause mallis, rather than help any future guests of Lochend Apartments. I will however continue..

3. I feel I have already gone over that we are not situated in a bad area, however yes I agree security is very important in any area, the block door is not permanently open as you have stated, we have a timer on the door for guests whom are checking in late, we have a 24 hour concierge on duty and we have 15 cctv cameras set up around and inside the buildings. We have the security entry code also available for late check ins and as I said we have a security concierge on duty 24 hours watching the goings on in and around the buildings, which is why we have never had any incidences with people "just walking into buildings".

1I will apologise that you had to wait 20 minutes to be check in, this is not our usual standard practise and can only put this down to our reception team dealing with another guest at the time, this is however, to long to wait and will be looking into why this happened and to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

2We always like to engage with our guests and tell them the benefits of booking direct with Lochend Apartments i.e free parking and discounts which can be applied to accommodation prices, this is something that is will not be discouraging my staff to do.

3. Again I will look into the apartment that you stayed in, we are 4 star and take pride in this, we have a very efficient team of cleaners whom all take great pride in keeping our standard high in regards to cleanliness, I will ensure housekeeping are briefed on this point however, I would advise in future when you come across a point like this to bring it to the attention of the staff at the hotel/apartment you are staying at, so that the matter can be dealt with straight awa. It also stops any suspicious by hotel staff of bad points being added to a review to for malicious purposes.

4. We have strict rules on smoking in the apartments, again this would have been beneficial to bring it to staff attention so that we could have dealt with the matter at the time. I am aware some guests feel uncomfortable with complaining face to face however, from a hoteliers prospective, notifying us at the time of a problem arising we can deal with it then and their which hopefully stops bad reviews and also is beneficial to the guest as it allows us to correct any problems at the time of stay.

5. Again we have a 24 out of hours number and if the hot water had tripped this could have been dealt with in a matter of minutes, unfortunately these things do happen, our boilers are serviced every year and any boilers that are not working or have any issues the apartment will not be let out until the problem has been rectified.

6. We have igniters in all apartments they are in the kitchen drawers, again this is explained in your welcome pack, however the shop is not even 2 minutes away from the apartments just to clarify.

7. I will have all remote controls checked by housekeeping to ensure they are all working, bringing this to the attention of staff we could have replaced at the time and saved you any inconvenience.

8. All of our bins have lids, we have NO bubbling of paint.

In conclusion to this review unfortunately I feel that we can take away very little "constructive criticism" from this, I feel a lot of these problems if all are true could have been rectified at the time of your stay,

I feel you did not give our staff a chance to rectify any problems, i am aware some guests do not like complaining directly and we take this on board however, I do hope my response to your review will better explain to future guests and that any future guests will not be put off staying with us and will come and get a firsthand experience of staying with Lochend Apartments.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Finding zero options for two bed apartments in Edinburgh as my wife and daughter joined me, I braced myself and booked Lochend as the only available option, despite its location being someway outside central Edinburgh. I had looked at the good reviews here and weighed this against the extra distance and decided it would be ok. And to all intents it was - all the reviews here are correct, it is well priced and you do get a good basic pack of cereal, tea/coffee, milk etc. on arrival...the beds and linen are good as well....our apartment was a good size with a bathroom and an ensuite. Comfortable is a good description.

However, there are two issues that you must know before booking; the 'need to knows' and 'constructive criticism' of this place for the management.

The need to knows are;

1. Lochend - it’s probably the worst part of Edinburgh – just recently there was a murder nearby and there is a lot of hooded youth just hanging around...my view is that it is not a safe place to walk at night - stay one night and you will quickly enjoy, as my wife pointed out, the entertainment of counting emergency vehicle sirens...
2. No nearby supermarkets - you need a car - ditto take-aways and restaurants in Leith
3. Given the fact that this is a dodgy area you would expect security to be good - it is not!! The block front door is permanently open, left on the latch, despite having a security entry code lock and entry phone system, anyone can walk into the blocks therefore.

...And the constructive criticism I'd like the management to learn from;

1. Don’t make me wait 20 minutes to check in when I’ve confirmed with you my arrival time 30 minutes before
2. Don’t ramble on at me for 15 minutes about 'You should have booked direct with us...' when I’ve done a 15 hour day - let me get to my apartment quickly and efficiently
3. Give me an apartment that does not have a fridge that smells of something off and is not clean (there were circular stains in the milk draw from bottles not cleaned away)
4. Give me an apartment that does not smell of smokers badly freshened - it smelt stale
5. Give me an apartment where the central heating works - twice over the weekend no hot water as the boiler had tripped – and I had no shower Monday morning for work as no hot water… it’s not good enough!
6. Give me an apartment where the gas hob igniter actually works - if not tell me and give me matches so at least I can light the damn thing to cook - see previous comment as shops are not near.
7. Give me an apartment where the main television remote isn’t missing the back cover and actually works to change channel...standing using the button on the back to the TV is a pain...
8. Fix/repair things that are bust...grotty bins in the kitchen with no lids, patches of damp/bubbling pain in the bathrooms, blinds that don’t block out light and are scabby at best
9. Ensure people's security...make sure the front door is locked and entry enforced using the entry phones

Yes its cheap, yes it has its good points...but overall there is a lack of thought and care here that I hope they address, then it really is a good option on a budget for a family with a car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark R

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for my hen weekend (1 night stay) and it was amazing. It was good to come in and have a tea or coffee when wanted and to do a wee quick washing. Thinking of coming with my family next time. Thanks.

• Stayed June 2013