“An acceptable place”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Ranked #11 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Very clean (especially when comparing to the other hostels in the same street). Equipped with lift which is rare in the Edinburgh. Very convenient for big or heavy luggage.
But the sleep quality is quite poor in this hostel. Firstly it was very noise even in the midnight. Secondly it was really very hot inside the room even it was so cold outside.
Comparing to the other hostels nearby, this hostel is an acceptable choice for it was clean and tidy. But if you are quite concern about the sleeping quality maybe it is not an ideal place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank iceygarfield
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel, We're glad you found the hostel pleasant and clean. We do apologise that you felt it was noisy, unfortunately as we are in such a central location, there can be some noise from outside the building. We do have a 24 hour manned reception and we are always happy to try our best to resolve noise complaints when reported. We hope you will think of us if you are in Edinburgh again.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Yes, it was clean; the showers are nice; the lockers are roomy (but if you forgot your padlock you have to buy one for 2 pounds). I thought this would be a convenient place to stay prior to my morning flight home from Edinburgh airport. Convenient yes, but DO NOT EXPECT TO SLEEP HERE! The noise was exceptional and interminable until after 3 am, leaving me 3 hours to sleep before my 15-hr trip home. Inebriated people coming upstairs from the bar shouting in the hallways, banging on doors...and spilling out into the street,partying, hammering on dumpsters? That's what it sounded like, anyway. Earplugs were useless. The "music" volume in the bar was too high to comfortably eat dinner there--seriously, it hurt my ears. And this was a Thursday night!

I had left some gifts with the front desk to store for me while I traipsed around Scotland, which they mysteriously "lost." To top it all off, I paid extra (I think; haven't got my credit card bill yet) for breakfast, which I didn't get to eat because it wasn't served before I had to leave to catch my airport bus in the morning--a detail I wasn't told about.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. I am so sorry to hear about your poor experience with us. Thursday night we host a pub quiz night for our guests, this will inevitably make the bar a little louder than average. We do have a 24 hour manned reception and if you had reported a noise complaint at reception they would certainly have come to speak to control the noise.

I do apologise about the confusion over breakfast and if you have paid for this I will happily refund your card. I am also very surprised to hear about your missing gifts. I will certainly look in to this. I would appreciate it if you could email me directly with some more information on anne@smartcityhostels.com

Anne ,

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I lived here for a year, as I was a student at Edinburgh University and this hostel was my student accommodation. I like the quality of rooms, you can get a 4 bed dorm from just 12 pounds/night. Its good option, if you have a tight budget and travelling with atleast 3 friends. Then you can save money , by avoiding B&Bs in Edinburgh which are atleast 50 pounds/night. The bar/lounge is great, they serve very nice burgers, noodles, sandwiches at a very cheaper price and the quality is good too. The drinks are very cheap as well and the bar is open till 1am.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made good use of our lovely bar. We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Two years ago in 2011,I've visited Scotland with my wife. We both at different time had made
acquaintance to the England, so now We decided to make a trip to old country Scotia, to get some knowledge about this people, that draws his origine from old Celts, Picts, and Gaelic from Ireland. Two cities, We've journeyed to, were Edinburgh and Glazgow. We stayed for a week
in very nice Hostel,that belongs to the chain of Smart City Hostels in Blackfriars Street, number
50. It has very good location in Old City of Edinburgh, that is the capital of Scotland.
Blackfriars Street is very steep one, and on the back it falls to the Cowgate Street, that continues
in direction to the East, in Holyrood Road, that again leads to the vast Holyrood Park, with old Queen's mansion,otherwise splendid castle, surrounded by the marvelous park, but if we climb
up our Blackfriars street, we get after, not more than five minutes ,to the very important street in whole Edinburgh, called the High Street. A name of this street tells us a lot for itself, first it is really highly positioned, I mean topographically, since the terrain descend, as from some ridge,
to the earlier mentioned Cowgate Street, and to the north to the big depression, through which
some time ago in history flowed certain stream or little river. Nowadays, here is Grand Central Train Station of Edinburgh, named Waverley Station. Here is the start point with the trains to the
west and other significant city,i.e. Glazgow. In this place there is the Scottish National Gallery and
Royal Scottish Academy, very near to the Train Station. Also as a connection between the High street and Waverley Station, We've got the old, narrow and steep street, i.e. Cockburn Street, that is abundant with old stores and restaurants of national Scottish and Asian and Mexican food.
On the other side of this large trench, as we pass it, across the Waverley Bridge, We come to the
relatively new part of the city in comparison to the Edinburgh Old Town, in which is our Hostel.
Here in this ,let's present him as a Edinburgh New Town, We have moreover, the very important
streets as the Princes Street, George Street, Hanover and Frederick Street with numerous old and beautiful buildings,but from Queen Victoria period, that is rather young age, refering to the old town core of Edinburgh.In Princes Street You must visit and buy something in three famous
stores, i.e.H&M,Mark&Spencer and Jenners. Across the Jenners is a must-a -see the Walter Scott Monument, with Princes Street Gardens.
To return on our High Street in old Town, its name gives us also some notion of noblesse,since
it is linked with rather old and glorious period of Scottish history, the first king from the dinasty
of McAlphins, then Malcolm and Duncan. High Street leads to the West, toward the remarkable
Edinburgh Casle, where we become, after awhile, aware of very rich history of Scottich people.
On the way to the castle, we'll inevitably get to the Tartan Weaving Mill & Exbition, that is a must- a - see place in Edinburgh, to get acknowledge of all Scottish cloths and kilts, and mashines that produce them.
Just before this mentioned, in the same High Street, there is a majestic St.Giles Cathedral and a Parliament Square.The cathedral dates from the late 14th century. In the Parliament Square there is a monument of Adam Smith.
After this stay in Edinburgh, it became one of my favorite cities in the world.

Room Tip: It is nearly quiet place, so it doesn't matter, which side You take.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Edinburgh. We love Edinburgh, it's such a beautiful city and we're glad you covered so much while you were here. We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Brought a group of students to take part in the Fringe Festival, and couldn't have been closer to the heart of things. This was great for getting around the city, both to sight see and to and from various theatre venues, but not so great in the wee hours of the morning when bar traffic was in and out of the courtyard all night.

Hostel itself was quite comfortable and clean. I was lucky enough to sometimes latch onto the free wi-fi signal from my room, but most could not unless they were in the bar or courtyard. Good service in the bar downstairs for drinks; food was decent. Given the large size of my group, front desk was very accommodating for lost keys and great for directions.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having a wide variety of groups here during August, it certainly adds to the festival buzz. I do apologize about the noise late at night but as with most central locations there will always be some noise late at night. We hope to welcome you back next year,

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The service at the hotel was good, everyone was friendly and helpful, not only about the hostel but also about Edinburgh in general. The "free" internet that was offered was pretty much useless as it was so slow, so I just ended up using the computers near reception (for 1 lb for 20 mins). The room was clean and the beds were comfortable, however the room was really stuffy at night and opening the window was out of the question because of the noise in the street and from the bar. The guest kitchen was spacious and clean, except they were not stocked with teatowels or dishclothes. There was also no choice but to eat your homecooked meals in the bar, which was very noisy in the evenings. The location was very central and we were able to walk most everywhere. The airport bus was also only about a 5 minute walk away. I would recommend staying here if you plan on partying all night and if you're not bring earplugs :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. As Smart City Hostel is such a central location it can be a little noisy at the weekends and during the festival. We do control noise as best we can within the hostel by completing regular floor walks throughout the night. I'm glad you made use of our large guest kitchen and I will certainly take on board the feedback regarding tea towels. I hope you will come and stay with us again,

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong this place is ideal for anyone, but with a lively bar at the bottom of the hostel noise can be a little loud in the early hours!

However, my visit was for a stag do so could see past the noise.

The hostel is in a great location with great attractions close by. The place was clean and friendly with nice rooms. They're simple but effective for a place to sleep with on suites! The bunk beds in the room where secured well but the pillows were so thin that it was questionable if we had pillows at all!!

All in all a clean place that I'd recommend if you don't mind something simple but effective.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, the hostel can be a little noisy at the weekend as you advised but is mostly quiet during the week. We hope you will come and stay again in the future,