“Stag do weekend stay!”

Ranked #11 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Stag do weekend stay!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I booked this for 12 lads to stay for a stag do. We were attracted by the excellent price per night and the location it offered.

The rooms were absolutely fine for what we needed. They were clean, spacious enough and well presented. We had a private room with bunk beds. The beds were comfortable enough and towels etc were provided.
This is a hostel after all so weren't expected amazing things but actually the staff were very friendly, breakfast was good and the bar area downstairs had a great atmosphere.

I would be happy to stay here as a couple but I do think the place is aimed more towards groups, stag & hen do's etc but not necessarily to couples with children.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Hey,

Thanks for your review.

Really glad you enjoyed staying with us and hopefully will see you back at some point.

Cheers,

Jayne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have recently returned from a weekend stay at Smart City Hostels in Edinburgh during the Fringe season. I was absolutely delighted with all aspects of the accommodation. The purpose of the weekend was for a stag party, so there was quite a large group of us. We were put into rooms of 6-8 people, which was ideal for us. The rooms were spacious and immaculate, and the beds were very comfortable. There were two showers and two toilets in our rooms, which were also very clean and spacious. Having been on many trips of this type in the past, Smart City Hostels were by an absolute mile the best accommodation I have stayed in, and everyone on the trip agreed too. The breakfast was fantastic - very generous portions and delicious at the same time (especially the Haggis!). This was also the case for other choices on the menu - a few of us had burgers/chips, etc, in the evenings and these were also very nice. The bar area had a very good atmosphere, with lots of people there having a good time. We thoroughly enjoyed having a drink in the bar or outside before heading on out for the evening, and the bar itself was stocked with everything you need! The staff were also very friendly and helpful - they gave us access to the luggage area before we checked in (to leave our bags) and after check out, and nothing we asked was too much trouble for them. The location was also perfect - we were just around the corner from the Royal Mile and a stone throw away from the Grassmarket, where there were lots of excellent pubs and plenty of things going on due to the Fringe Festival. I am surprised at some of the negative comments on here about the quality of the hostel and its price, as I honestly couldn't say a bad word about it. It was superb value for money at £31.50 a night and I would, without a shadow of a doubt, stay there again. 10 out of 10 for sure!!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was especially suitable for larger groups - the rooms for 6-8 people were excellent...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hey,

Thanks for your review.

So glad you enjoyed your stay.

We aim to have every guest leaving our accommodation a happy one!

Cheers,

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Very expensive at £120 a night for a corridor with bunks (2 people). Staff lovely and breakfast very good value but the stag do, absolutely plastered at 10 am, had no regard for anyone else. One of them stamped on my foot as I passed by and I was moved to tell them off - left me feeling upset. Not appropriate for a hostel that caters for kids and families. Next year I'm staying in a hotel for £40 a night less

Room Tip: If you are sharing a room with someone, try a hotel e.g. Apex City
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MARILYN L
Hi,

Thanks for your review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and sorry the stags ruined it for you.

In the main, stags, families, travellers etc all stay and enjoy thier trip to the hostel. It's made very clear to the stags the standard of behaviour that's expected from the stags when they are inhouse. We try our best to enforce this, but as I am sure you'll appreciate, it's often outwith our control.

Our rates are in line with our competitors. Our rates change depending on time of year and availability. August is expensive everywhere in Edinburgh given demand for accommodation. If you book early enough, you will, as you've done, find a hotel cheaper to book, than you will a 5 star hostel closer to August next year.

Yorkshire Lass
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were a party of four - two mother and [adult] daughter teams. [We all enjoyed Fascinating Aida - thats us.] The hostel served the purpose; clean and central [for the Fringe.] However, we have already booked for next year - at a 4**** hotel nearby [OK we've paid upfront] BUT it is actually cheaper than the hostel. [and we can have the use of a swimming pool included]
Our twin bunk room looked as though it had once been a corridor. Glass panels on doors had been covered in thick paper. [Not attractive.] The bunk beds are one step up from camping. Clean but Spartan. I slept OK because I was exhausted at the end of each day. The wet room flooded every time my daughter had a shower. [No camber - we could have used a sweeping brush.] I had to take my trousers off in the bedroom area before using the toilet. Liked the toilet paper dispenser - very sensible.
I felt as though I had been transported back to my student days - back to a hall of residence.
It is what it is and it isn't for me but I'm a retired teacher age 59. Having said that I did enjoy the whole international hostel "atmosphere".
The breakfast system was excellent. [especially the unlimited tea and the meusli is vnice] The staff were delightful, friendly and well meaning.
Were it not for the Fringe and the Festival I don't think this hostel would get away these prices.

Room Tip: I have no idea about what constitutes a "better" room at this hostel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fattmoff

Thanks for your review.

We are glad that certain aspects of your stay you really enjoyed, but disappointed about others.

You are correct: Edinburgh is very busy in August and this is reflected in our rates. Rates flex depending on availability and time you book. If you are looking for something a little more luxurious, then you have done the right thing in booking a hotel now for next year.

Your point about the wet rooms has been noted for our dorm refresh beginning this winter.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We booked the hostel for the Edinburgh fringe. I had come last year with a friend and had an alright experience, although we weren't put into the single sex dorm we had been promised. However this year was a disaster! I came up with my mother and we booked a private triple room at around £140 per night BREAKFAST NOT INCLUDED!!! The room was tiny, basic with the double bed nearly fitting one person, let alone two. That night we were woken at 2am for about 2 hours by a stag party. I asked them to keep it down and to be fair, when I rang down to reception they sent someone up to tell them quiet. Then woken up again at 730am by people going to breakfast. Why they don't put people on a stag do or young people on the same floor I dont know! I know you do expect this from a hostel, but they should monitor and patrol the rooms better. We then booked into the radisson up the road which was virtually the same price and 100x better!! They did give us a refund on our following nights, but not the night we had spent. All in all, very basic but way over priced. If you go slightly outside Edinburgh, 10 mins walk from the mile, you can stay somewhere for £99 for four nights with a communal kitchen.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank bryyosav

Thanks for your review.

We are sorry your stay was not as expected.

Stag doos are generally kept to the same floor, as you'd expect. However, it's not always possible when we have a full hostel in August time given the business of the hostel, to keep stags and 'young people' separate from the other hostel guests.

We do ask and expect all guest to behave suitably whilst staying with us, however I'm sure you'll appreciate that we enforce where we can and sometimes the other guests behaviour is outwith our control.

We are prices in accordance to our competitors in Edinburgh. You'll find that you booked the Radisson last minute, therefore you'll have got a late and cheaper deal given they would be selling the last of their rooms.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Superb, clean, central place to stay off the Golden Mile. Friendly staff, great buffet breakfasts and other meals available to order. Beds really comfortable and top quality bedding. Book with confidence!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KATRINA H
Hi,

Many thanks for your review.

It's good to hear you liked your stay with us.

We hope you come back to visit soon.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The room was clean and had its own bathroom. Shared it with three others, both male and female, as it was a mixed dorm room. The fact that there was an elevator made it really easy to lug my suitcase to my room. The bar/food area was large and had several little grouping areas. Good selection of drinks. And the menu for food was very good, including specials that they advertised each day. There was also a kitchen for those who preferred to bring their own groceries and cook for themselves.

Room Tip: If you go, make sure the room your given is not on the first floor and overlooking the patio area...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bucketlist58
Hi there,

Thanks so much for your review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back in Edinburgh in future.