“Awesome hotel in every way.....but beware the noise!”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #78 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
West Country
“Awesome hotel in every way.....but beware the noise!”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I booked Le Monde to take my girlfriend away for 2 nights for her 30th birthday. I wanted a cool and original "boutique" hotel which didn't break the bank. Le Monde ticks almost every single box. The "London" room was fantastic - i (cheekily) asked for a complimentary upgrade from a superior room and it turned out that they'd already given us one! The girl on reception was almost apologetic for not being able to bump us up to a junior suite! The decor was great, the bed was sooooo comfortable and the bathroom was luxurious. I can't fault it at all. The location of the hotel is great too - a short walk to the castle and all the bars etc on George Street. The service was great as well - they were happy and helpful and made us feel incredibly welcome.

So basically everything was great and the hotel provided great memories for my girlfriend's b'day trip as she absolutely loved it. However, the only thing that dissapointed was the noise from the club / bars in the hotel. I read lots of reviews stating that this was an issue and so I was certainly mindful when i decided to book. I did ask when I booked to be given a quiet room and even the upgrade was at the back of the hotel on the top floor. We're a young couple and don't normally have an issue with this sort of thing, but do be aware that it is very noticable when trying to sleep. The noise comes flying up the lift shaft and the bass makes the room vibrate until 3 a.m (on a tuesday night)....on the 3rd floor! It certainly didn't ruin our stay at all, but if i ever go back to Edinburgh for a relaxing break I would probably stay elsewhere......which is a real shame because everything else about the hotel is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bean0123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Location location location! Le Monde is situated right slap bang in the city centre of Edinburgh and everything you could need during your stay is on your doorstep! That is if you even need to leave the hotel at all!

Beautiful decor, luxurious rooms, delicious dining and a vibrant nightclub all under one roof!

Stayed for just one night and I'll definitely be back, as the most important thing to me with any hotel stay (the service) was absolutely spot on! Well looked after and in one of the most fabulous hotels too!

Can't wait for my next trip to Edinburgh!

• Stayed May 2010
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I stayed in Barcelona and the room was gorgeous!! Right at the back of the hotel, so pretty quiet and relaxing with very little noise. The reception team were very pleasant and helpful and gave me a welcome drink voucher on arrival and a pass to Shanghai Night Club below the hotel.

They really pay attention to the little details, like a detailed weather card, including the weather in Barcelona - nice touch!! The room was very comfy with great plasma and nice bathroom.

Even the service in the bar was great. Food was great vale for money and scrumptious!! And the cocktails - so many to choose from, and if you are stuck for choice, the bartenders will help you choose!!

All in all a great visit and i would love to go back and try one of the other rooms!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
manchester
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I booked the Atlantis room at Le Monde as a treat for me and my boyfriend. I booked it six weeks in advance and was almost put off by the reviews on Trip Advisor, so I emailed the hotel with my concerns and they where only happy to reassure that my stay would be what I hoped for. Immediatly, the customer service was fantastic, I sent several emails and got immediate replies.

When we arrived the receptionist was really friendly, the room was ready for an early check in as requested. They did ask for a credit card to ensure that I had available funds available for check out. I was asked to pay cash because I didnt have one. I asked could I make sure the room was what I expected first, this was fine. I went upto the room and it was what I expected so I went back to reception and asked would it be ok if I paid one nights fee and pay the following nights the next day, I was being cautious, I didnt want to hand over all my money incase there was any problems; this was fine with reception.

The room was very clean and welcoming, there was some damaged tiles over the bath and the TV in the bathroom didnt work, this is something the hotel need to address, but it was no big deal for us!!

There are alot of bad reviews about the customer service, we had no problem whatsoever. I rang the reception desk a number of times and they where only happy to help. I rang up because the air con was either too hot or too cold so they adjusted it for us. I rang up for a towel, 2 clean mugs, some milk, shower gel and a bar of soap, this was brought upto the room within 20minutes, there was no soap but the receptionist did try to find some.

The breakfast wasnt the best we have had but we are use to buffet breakfasts where you can help yourself, of course this is not possible with such a small hotel and it does feel arkward having to keep asking for more. The Scottish breakfast was greasy and not very big, this is because my boyfriend didnt want half of the items, that was his problem.

The bed was huge and very comfortable, it was two small beds pushed together but it didnt make much difference, me and my boyfriend actually had enough room to spread out. The room was very quiet but we can't comment on nightclub noise because we stayed on a Monday and Tuesday so it was silent.

When we needed any directions or advice where to go, reception printed us a map off and where more than happy to help.

We had two free cocktails in the bar which where free with our vouchers, I had an extra one but my boyfriend thought £7.50 for a cocktail was alot, I thought it was worth it!!!

If you can comfotably afford to pay the prices, then its a great place to stay. If your a poor student like me, it is alot of money for what you get really. For that price I would have liked my bags to be taken to my room, more toiletries in the room (you get 2 small shower gels, lotions and shampoos. In addition, conditioner, a bar of soap, tootpaste and a disposable shower cap would be nice too). The room has tea and coffee (Nescafe saches, fresh ground coffee would be better) and hot chocolate, I feel like some bottled water, small selection of fruit and biscuits would be a nice touch). There are a few things that could be sorted like the TV and the tiles.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
aberdeen
Reviewed April 4, 2010

stayed in le monde for one night, arrived in the afternoon, was grate service and atmosphere, as i got to my room "tokyo" i recived a letter welcoming me to my room with some free drink vouchers for the bar and some vip passes to the night club,
later in the evning i had some food the menu was huge and had so much to choose from, at some pritty good prices.
all in all for the one night there it was great. plan to visit again and not for business next time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I stayed in Le Monde for a night on a business trip and was given the L.A themed suite (each room is differently styled to represent a city). The receptionist was very polite and promt checking me in and gave me 2 complimentry drink vouchers and a free pass for the adjoining nightclub. The room was excellent, with a large bed that was exceptionally comfy with very good quality bedding and it also had a large top of the range plasma tv and even a tv in the bathroom! I had a meal in the very trendy Vienna area of the bar, food was delicious, very reasonable price and the service was excellent. Thouroughly enjoyed my stay in this hotel and would definately book again the next time i'm in Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
angus
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Enjoyed one night in Cairo, a junior suite. It was brilliant.
we went on a Sunday deal and easily spent the £120 on food and drink
well worth every penny - a great treat, highly recommended and a place we will defo book into again
thanks everyone