“Fabulous hotel, ready to return, thanks tripadvisor!!”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #82 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 18, 2009

After reading countless hotel reviews on Tripadvisor for Edinburgh, I learned of Le Monde. It was an excellent hotel choice. Within easy walking distance to train station, great over-all location, large sized, interesting designed rooms, helpful staff. The breakfasts included were a special bonus as one could simply select from their entire menu. Room internet included...We stayed in the Tokoyo and Atlantis rooms... Simply amazing.. Thanks so much to all the tripadvisors who helped me plan this trip...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 8, 2009

We got a deal for le monde off it's website where you pay £100 on food and drink and the room is free on a sunday night.The rooms are all different cities of the world and are decorated beautifully,the room we had was marrakech and our friends had new york.We managed to spend the £200 between us no bother at dinner which was good but not excellent.We then hired a nintendo wii for £10 and had a good evening playing it till the small hours!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2009

My girlfriend and I have just spent 2 nights - a Friday and a Saturday - at Le Monde hotel in Edinburgh and loved every minute of it.

Every room is themed like a city and we were given the Beijing room, which is classed as a 'Superior' room (the cheaper of the 3 room classes available). The room was very spacious with a lovely window seat and everything was perfect - everything was clean as you would expect but there was a touch of class about the place. The room was beautifully lit and decorated, and included a safe, plasma screen tv with sky sports, and a reasonably priced mini-bar

Above the bed there was a long horizontal window through to the shower room, but if you're not so keen on that there is a wee cord beside the bath that you can pull and make the glass frosted. The bath was lovely and big and included a rainfall shower. It really was luxury

The hotel has a very busy, public bar/restaurant/club attached, though we never heard any noise in our room from the club, even though we were there over a weekend and when we arrived back at the hotel for a drink (around midnight) the queue outside was huge and pretty noisy.

The staff were all very friendly and attentive and I couldnt speak highly enough of them. They catered for everything and were happy to give advice regarding directions, local attractions etc.

One word of advice if you are driving - the hotel does not have car parking and on-street parking near the hotel costs £2 per hour and the maximum wait is 3 hours. Your best bet is to drive 5 minutes to the St James' shopping centre car park which was £14 for 24 hours

We both really enjoyed our time in Le Monde and even though it was rather pricey it was worth the money. We'll definitely be back

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We stayed at Le Monde at the beginning of December for 3 nights. I loved the hotel. The room we had (Havana) was lovely - we couldnt fault it at all. Our friends stayed next door (Rio de Janero) and they had some noise at night from the night club but we only heard the music very faintly. Our friends told reception that they could hear the music and they were moved to another room very quickly and efficiently. Breakfast was brilliant and the bar downstairs was great. A fantastic short break and ideally situated in the centre of Edinburgh.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Stayed at Le Monde for our wedding anniversary in December 2008, when we arrived everything looked fantastic, the lighting in the lifts, trouble free check-in all great, we were given the key to the New York suite and away we went.

I had asked the hotel to place flowers and champagne into the room for us and we were greated with, champagne on ice and a lovely bouqet of flowers. On initial views the room was amazing, open brick walls huge seating area, fantastic feature light, huge plasma screen and raised opaque glass divisions into the bathroom. In the bathroom the floor was heated, double shower with lcd tv in the middle and range of nice products.

So far so good, I made a coffee on the swanky machine and when I poured the milkk from the fridge out it popped, the milk that is or cheese as it had turned too!!! The fridge was broken so everything was warm, oh the safe was broken too with the door hanging off, I went to report this to reception when I found that the front door to the room wouldn't shut! unless you slammed it shaking everything in the corridor, they said they would sort it (they never did). So we have a room with no safe, no fridge and a door that doesn't shut properly, then the feature light went out, then one of the bedside lights went out, then the light on the writing table went out!!!!! It's pretty dark with all these lights out, they fixed one of them!!!!

The only thing to do was to go in the shower, two heads two people shared shower.......except one of the showers only worked on cold, freezing cold.......so no shared shower, ok.

The bed was really nice and comfortable, untill around 1am when the que for the nightclub next door is filling into the alley at the side of these rooms, oh and the bass from both this club and the one underneath the hotel then at 3am they kick everyone out into the alley so all the screaming and shouting starts!!!!!

OK not all bad the good things, welcome cocktails, fantastic you choose anything from the menu so we did, a meal in Paris, this was really good and the service was excellent, even with the christmas parties we were not left waiting for anything. The location of the hotel is great a fantastic base from which to explore Edinburgh.

So at the end of our 2 night stay we did let the receptionist know of the problems and she reduced our £490 bill by £50, better than nothing but a little dissapointing as it was a special occasion, as the hotel is privately owned I would expect the owner to have a look around the rooms and see for themselves that you don't have to look to far to see a real drop in standards, it is true not to judge a book by it's cover, when you open it up most of the pages were torn or missing.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ezmuzic
Reviewed December 20, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Le Monde last week for our anniversary. We wanted a special hotel for that special day. And luckily, it was all we dreamed of !

The room is breathtaking. We stayed in the Atlantis room, which has a lovely aquarium over the bed, overlooking the bathroom. That's one point though: you have to be comfortable enough with your partner to show your upper half body while showering. Other than that, the bathroom is very spacious and the toilet is separated by a tainted glass wall for more intimatcy.

The view was pretty sucky though - it overlooked a roof. But the room is so pretty it doesn't matter what's outside. Real beauty is within, they say. ;) Wooden floors, large turquoise tainted glass... wow!

The wifi Internet was fast but complementary.The room service is impeccable - they serviced our room while we were out for dinner. The TV in the bathroom was not really working, that was a bit disappointing. Also, there was no cold water at the sink.

There was an interesting in-room minibar as well. Overally, the room and bathroom were spotless and chic.

The TV in the room had very few channels though (5-6) - but that appears to be the case in pretty much all hotels I've booked in Edinburgh.

We ate at Paris restaurant and we've had the best meal of our whole trip (pretty much of my whole life for me, the best salmon salad ever), and the waiter was absolutely charming. The manager served us our meals and he was very nice and polite.
Upon arrival, we were given two free drinks as we were guests at the hotel. They are amazing, not just regular Sex on the beach type of drinks. I had a raspberry martini - yummy!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a true high-class experience - classy, pretty and respectful. The downsides were totally overlooked by all the great stuff.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mawie49
Reviewed October 27, 2008

First of all check out the web site - we got a fantastic deal for the Sunday night - called I wish it was Sunday we paid £99 toward food and drink and we got the room for free.

This certainly isn't your standard hotel and I imagine it takes a lot of hard work to keep it going to the exceptional standard - so personally I didn't mind that the TV above the bath didn't work. Everthing else about the room though was spot on - the bed was incredibly comfortable and the duck down duvet was pure joy. Our room was a good size and the bathroom was fabulous. I also loved that each room had its own individual theming.

The bars are great although predictably quiet on the Sunday evening. The Paris restaurant also has a fantastic look to it - though in my opinion the food wasn't to the same high standard - so I might consider eating somewhere else if we returned (or making different menu choices - I had the Beef Wellington and perhaps something less ambitious may have been tastier. (Just a note for the previous reviewer... Beefburgers must always be cooked "well done" for food safety reasons as mincing the meat distributes surface bacteria throughout the burger)

We tried the nightclub after we had eaten (admission is free for guests) but it was empty when we went in. We didn't stay. It did appear to get busier later on and we could hear people leaving in the small hours - but I'd be lying if I said it disturbed my sleep. (but light sleepers could be)

Breakfast was better than the restaurant food the night before and set us up for the day. Checkout was a respectable 11am.

The hotel has no car park but on-street parking is available outside. It is charged from 8am and (top tip) you can pay in advance the night before and your fee carries forward into the next day. (It is free after 6pm I think). Mind you - you cannot park there all day - I think the limit is 3 hours.

Reading over the review it strikes me that I've possibly focussed more on the minuses than the plusses - and I'd hate to leave that impression. I would definitely stay here again it was quirky and unique - and a little haven of luxury (though on the basis of tripadvisor reviews I also want to try the Witchery and Lily Bazaar which were both full)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple