“Sylish hotel with hidden secrets”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #74 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed this week in Le Monde for the second time and certainly was not disappointed. It is a stylish boutique hotel with the additional feature of the rooms based on foreign cities. My room was Berlin and not only well decorated and comfortable but the walls were covered in "cabaret" photos. Bed was excellent with really comfortable pillows. The bathroom again was well designed and laid out with a decent shower, and all you would expect in a good hotel.
The staff whether at reception or breakfast were very friendly and helpful. You could have breakfast in your room at no extra charge but I chose to eat downstairs. Excellent coffee and freshly prepared food which makes a change from the usual buffet style warm fare.
They have a nightclub in the basement which could be noisy but as I was on the third floor heard nothing.
The hotel is ten minutes walk from the main Edinburgh railway station.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank xanteater
LeMonde_Manager, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Hi,

It is great to hear that you have chosen to stay with us for a second time and that clearly speaks volumes about how much you have enjoyed your stays with us. As you have mentioned the Berlin room is fabulous and it is fun to find out all the different quirky features each of the bedrooms here have! The breakfast is also a very popular option and served 7:00am until 12:00pm so you have plenty of time to enjoy it as you discovered. You will need to get in touch to book your next stay so that we can make sure you are well looked after and can try out another room.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the beginning of January which was Christmas prezzie from my parents. We were so excited and in no way disappointed!

We stayed in the Milan room and while at first I wasn't too sure I'd like the decor going by the pics online (and the description of leather headboard and mirrored wall), it was absolutely gorgeous! Rooms were pristine as well as beautifully (and tastefully!) decorated. The staff on reception were nothing short of wonderful - having mentioned we were thinking of having Thai for dinner and asked for restaurant recommendations, the girl had called and had a note of availability at various restaurants by the time we'd left her and made it up to our room. Really really helpful and accommodating.

As I say, the room was gorgeous, bathroom was clean and spacious and shower was great, what more could you want...cocktails? I can vouch for them too, the bar downstairs has some fabulous cocktails!

If you're looking for a lovely chic hotel with a nice vibe then I'd definitely recommend Le Monde, returning at the end of March as a dissertation treat and cannot wait!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie B

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for such a glowing review of your stay with us. I am sure your parents will have been pleased with themselves having picked such a successful present for you both! Milan is a gorgeous room and as you said it is tastefully decorated with the stylish, chic atmosphere you would expect in the city itself. With having such a small team we pride ourselves in taking great care over the needs of our guests. We wish you all the best with your dissertation and look forward to welcoming you back in March for a well-earned break!

All the best,

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed in the New York Loft living theme room which would be my choice for a return stay. This place has style, Disco down stars but not a problem with too much noise.

Room was clean and spacious, very comfortable. Only down Side, it's on George Street and parking is a problem, overnight parking is a breeze outside the door but as the clock strikes 08.00 the Traffic Wardens are writing out tickets, bless them!!

Breakfast, wow! would keep most going all day, huge plate of porridge, c'mon you are in Scotland and a full Scottish was just huge.

Ideal for shopping / sightseeing, Hard Rock and Dome just a few doors away perfect setting, worth every penny as a Scotsman that is a good recommendation.

Room Tip: as this is a theme hotel look carefully at the decor shown on the professional photos
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdceve

Hello,

I am so pleased to hear that you had such a great stay with us and can completely understand why you have fallen in love with the New York suite – it is certainly an impressive room! As you have mentioned the parking is slightly costly – however we can recommend that on a Saturday/Sunday night stay there are no parking charges all day on a Sunday which is worth taking advantage of. You can also put money in the meter the night before which will run over to the following day which saves you having to get up early in the morning and instead you can enjoy a nice long lie with breakfast in bed! Hopefully you will be booking to stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

This was the 3rd time we stayed at le monde and every time we go it just seems to get better.

We have to save like mad to return to le monde as it is pricey but at the same time it is worth every penny.

The staff are amazing and always a pleasure what ever time of day nothing is to much trouble, and they are always willing to go that extra mile.

We stayed in the Cairo suite this time and all I have to say is WOW!!!!! Loved it.

If you want style and luxury this is the place to be. The saving fund has started again and we can't wait to return.

Thank you le monde and staff for yet another amazing weekend. We were sad to leave.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank 110sas

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am so happy to hear that each time you have stayed with us your expectations and experience have been improved. Cairo is a wonderful suite and if I am allowed a favorite this would certainly be one of mine too!

Your loyalty is valued and I'm so glad that we have maintained such a high standard of customer service, I will with pleasure pass on your glowing comments to each member of staff. We are a small team and such positive feedback is great to hear.

Keep saving...these little luxuries are so worth it and much needed!

We look forward to your next visit with us...hopefully soon,

Regards,

Reviewed January 22, 2014

17th - 20th January 2014 I was in Edinburgh playing the UKIPT poker torney and decide to stop at Le Monde while visiting.

Firstly what a perfect central location. Then the receptionist was truly lovely and friendly asking if I would like a glass of champagne ? I declined saying could I have an orange juice which was no problem and she would send a glass up to my room. I stopped in the Los Angeles room which was stunning, the attention to detail was obviously very high on the design. I didnt notice until the following day the wall had a giant Hollywood sign across it, again great attention to detail. The only negative with the room was the sofa, it all seemed to fall apart when sitting on it, when I say fall apart I dont mean fall apart I mean cushions sliding off etc, just made it not too comfy to sit on for 30 mins +. The food was descent as well but I only say descent as for instance I had a pidgeon breast starter that was super tasty yet the burger to follow was very plain. The brekfast of Eggs benedict was again full of flavour and cooked perfect. I maybe shouldnt say on here but I had a friend come for breakfast on one morning and I was not charged for his breakfast, I thought this was really nice of the hotel as they knew but obvioulsy didnt mind, I really did think that was a very nice touch.
Anyway my sum up of this hotel and the friendly service is that if I visit Edinburgh again I wil most certainly stop in the same hotel which I suppose says it all.

Finally I really need to add this hotel is directly next to Hard Rock Cafe which did super tasty food and the chocolate brownie and ice cream for pudding was something dreams are made off ! Best Ive ever tasted !

Great Hotel that I simply cant fault (bar the sloppy cushions)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nigel T
LeMonde_Manager, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Hi Mr Turver,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great that you were able to enjoy our restaurant and found the staff to be "lovely and friendly" I will certainly pass this feedback on.
I will also take into consideration your comments regarding the sofa and hopefully get this rectified soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed at Le Monde over Christmas and what an excellent choice it was. The hotel is situated in the centre of Edinburgh so car parking can be a little tricky at times, but there are plenty of options so don't let this out you off.
The staff are not only incredibly friendly (not pushy) but extremely helpful helping in very way they could from organising "panto" tickets to booking restaurants. The hotel itself was spotless and very quirky in it's décor which is a big positive. The three bars have plenty of atmosphere and even on boxing day evening it had a great atmosphere.
Our two grown up children really enjoyed it, there was always somebody to talk to.
The restaurant bar was to our liking with the standard of food being very good. It was noticeable that a lot of locals popped in all through the day for coffees drinks snacks etc so the public areas always had a good buzz about them.
Christmas day was excellent with Mike (the manager) being up early and hanging Christmas stockings on the door handles filled with goodies like champagne and chocolates (much appreciated).
The rooms we had Berlin and Dublin were well stocked with flowers candles toiletries tea coffee and buiscuits.
We thought Berlin was an excellent room being very well appointed.

Would we stay here again, without a doubt, thank you to all at Le Londe for providing us with an excellent stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank QuicksChester

Hi Malcolm,

We are thoroughly pleased to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us over the festive period. We are delighted that we were able to make your time memorable and enjoyable at Le Monde. Thank you for taking the time to write such glowing feedback i will ensure this is passed on.

We look forward to your return, it would be our pleasure to see and your family again,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at the Le Monde for only one night, just before Hogmanay. Let me first say that the staff here are truly special. They were so helpful and accommodating. (Lost bags, straggler friends, etc.) And it wasn't just one or two people. Every person we encountered was really exceptional. The decor is fantastic and I loved how each area was decorated differently to give you a different vibe. Our room was really nice too although we didn't get to spend much time there. (Which was sad because there was a soaking tub that didn't get used!) We ended up going to the Hogmanay Dinner at Le Monde which was kind of wasted on us because we really just wanted to be at the Street Party. (It's what we had traveled 1/2 way across the globe for.) We were unable to finish our meal because we ran out of time. It was a beautiful night out though especially for couples. I would definitely go back to Le Monde!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends