“A little disappointed”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #74 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Having read the mainly positive reviews on Trip Advisor of Le Monde, we stayed for one night at this boutique hotel in Edinburgh with city themed rooms. I am afraid I was a little disappointed. I felt it had a touch of arrogance with both the overall feel and I believed the staff at times at that arrogance. The both meals we had, dinner and breakfast lacked taste and were lack lustre. We stayed in the Bejing room and it felt cold in feel and had very little appeal.

I always judge a hotel on whether I would return to enjoy the experience and I am afraid on my visit to Le Monde I am afraid I wouldn't return.

A positive of this hotel is that it is centrally located within the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin B
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at Le Monde. I am disappointed to hear that our Beijing room was not to your taste. We have had great feedback from other guests who have stayed in this room recently but with each of our 18 rooms being individually designed it sometimes happens that we allocate the wrong room to the right people!

With regards to staff attitudes I am very concerned that you found them to be arrogant. We have a great team of hard working staff here. We pride ourselves on employing people who enjoy customer service and who will always go that extra mile. If there is a weak link in the chain I would like to know about it. If you would be so kind to email me directly to ellaborate on this it would be very much appreciated: mike.allan@lemondehotel.co.uk

Lastly, I do hope you will change your mind and give us another try one day. I would only ask that you contact us directly if booking and we will be delighted to talk you through our different themes and room types and allow us to select a room that is perfect for you!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a friday night to celebrate our anniversary in LA suite. Champagne on arrival and suite was fantastic looking. Not quite up to my ocd clean standards but nothing to complain about. The GIANT bath with brilliant. Restuarant was decent. Nothing spectacular but a good dinner. I asked for a non alcoholic cocktail as none on the menu and got a very good virgin mojito. atmosphere and look of the bar was great. You could hear some noise from the bar/club when trying to sleep but it was bearable and I expected it in a club hotel in central edinburgh. Need a better mattress on the bed. It was 2 singles pushed together and there was a clear seam felt plus they did turn in so got rolled onto the seam. Decent breakfast although there was a bit of a morning after a party smell and staff still cleaning up and organising for the next night

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review Le Monde. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the whole. We embrace guest feedback and will certainly be using your comments constructively as we strive to continually improve our service and guest experience.

The beds you mentioned are executive zip and link which many hotels use to accomodate double and twin bookings but we are currently adding in georgous matress toppers to enhance our sleeping experience. Hope you will make it back again soon to experience the difference!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for my 30th Birthday in the New York suite & enjoyed every single moment of the stay. The staff were extremely friendly & accommodating & certainly helped make our experience memorable which is what the weekend was all about.

The suite was luxurious & the location excellent for shopping & sight seeing.

We are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: November 2013
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. We are delighted that we managed to make your time at Le Monde enjoyable and memorable!

If we can be of any further assistance when planning your next trip please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hotel staff were so welcoming on arrival, we got a free upgrade and champage on arrival. They offered us great advice for travel and sightseeing around the town.
Bedroom was lovely and big, beautiful decorated - we were in the Cairo room. Food was delicious and great value, lovely decor in the bar and restaurant.
Perfect location - couldn't have wished for anything more!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for taking time to leave your kind review.

I remember you checking in as we were so pleased to be able to offer you the complimentary upgrade! I'm delighted that you appreciated it and that you had a pleasant stay.

Hope to see you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2013

A last minute decision to stay here for one night for our anniversary. What a very pleasant place, welcomed by really friendly staff and a glass of Champagne. We really wanted a junior suite but as we booked late only one superior room was left, The Monaco. This room is on the second floor and directly above the entrance to the hotel facing out onto George Street. As we stayed a Saturday night the street was noisy later on and into the small hours, but it did't stop me from sleeping.
The room had some nice modern equipment: electric blinds, switches that make the bathroom lights go opaque and a nice powerful shower. The room wasn't huge but certainly big enough for the both of us. It was £245 for one night including breakfast, expensive - well it is the centre of the most beautiful city in the world.
We didn't have evening meal here but we did enjoy the breakfast. There are some fantastically comfortable leather chairs at the front of the restaurant by the fire that we could have spent all day in.
We loved it here and will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced a relaxing breakfast in our comfortable "Library Bar" chairs - we do promote a lazy Sunday morning at Le Monde!

Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed in the Atlantis room for one night as part of our Honeymoon celebrations. Girls on reception were very slick and very pleasent.

Room was gorgeous, loved the big seat by the window, we really enjoyed sipping our Champagne watching the day go by.

Bathroom needed a little TLC, grouting etc, but didn't distract from out stay.

Breakfast in the restaurant was good albeit the service was a bit slow on the uptake..

Thanks Guys, loved our stay...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike A, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your Honeymoon with us and so pleased that you loved your stay.

I will be sure to pass your feedback to the girls on reception!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed a night in the Tokyo suite Saturday 12th Oct 2013. First time I’d tried Le Monde as a hotel in Edinburgh but the travellers’ photos looked good, I liked what I saw of this room and so thought I’d give it a try. I admit if any of the executive or regular rooms had been available I probably would’ve booked them over a suite, which for one night you don’t really get the benefits of in my opinion, but I wanted to go to Le Monde as I liked the “package” the hotel comes with of room, restaurant and VIP club entry.

Arrived about 12:45pm and room wasn’t ready which is fair enough but our luggage was stored for us and reception was very pleasant, taking my mobile number to call me when it was, and which they duly did about 2pm.

Had a quick look through to the ground floor area of the adjoining bar/restaurant and noted it’s been changed/refurbed a bit since my last visit. I’ve eaten and enjoyed a drink in the bar in the past, and the venue is very well, done, it is a very nice setting,

We came back about 5:30pm after taking in the shopping and checked in, complimentary glass of champagne being a nice touch as other reviewers have noted. Our cases were already placed in our room.

The room was very nice, large, and the lighting could be low, medium or high as controlled by an easy to use set of switches – I dislike having to figure out how to get lights or a TV on and Le Monde was well set-up that way. Also when the lights were set to high, you got good lighting, many hotels are far too dark so I liked that too. Robes were in room, again I liked that without having to request, and everything was fine really, no complaints.

Shower is an overhead, you’re getting your hair wet whether you like it or not, but there was a separate sunken bath, facing a metal cover which I assume is covering the now defunct TV installation which a previous reviewer commented haven’t worked since the digital switch over.
Minus points would be I noted both the coffee table in the seating area, and desk table were badly scored and chipped. The hotel’s been running a few years now so you get that kind of fraying round the edges even in the best of them, but it’s always disappointing to find. Noted too the previous resident had left a tip for housekeeping on the tea & coffee shelf on the unit to the rear as you enter that hadn’t been taken. Also I moved the rectangular seat away from the wall to use it and discovered a hair clip behind it – so had to smile re housekeeping. But no biggie, place was clean and no dirty cups or anything.

I’d booked a table in the restaurant for 8:30pm and here was where things started to derail a bit. As I mentioned, I’ve eaten in the past in Le Monde before, so when I made the reservation I requested a table upstairs, away from the bar area – meaning the bar upstairs. I think it’s nicer upstairs and wanted to eat there so called the restaurant to confirm that on the Fri, as I’d emailed to no reply using the hotel’s enquiry form on their webpage, and the woman I spoke with said yes, they had a note of that and it was no problem. And we were upstairs – in the bar area I specifically requested not to be, so straight away I was disappointed. Worse yet the table for two was hard up against the wall and to my rear was a high table with so little space between it and my chair, I had to limbo into my seat. I was sitting with my back against this table and just about touching the legs of the couple behind me who were drinking at it. When the waitress came over I asked for another table and was told (pleasantly enough) they were fully booked. On the table was a note that the table was reserved for 2 @7:45pm – which wasn’t my reservation but I reckon whoever got that table before me didn’t like it either but they were able to be moved. Speaking of which the couple behind me were obviously uncomfortable as well, practically sitting on top of my head, and they moved to another “drinking” table when one became available. I asked the waitress to either move our table further out into the floor as there was plenty room or the table behind me away as my back was hard up against it. She was very accommodating and moved the table behind me away….but really, I had to ask? I had to point out how uncomfortable that layout was? On top of not being placed exactly where I’d specifically asked not to be.

But all that was as nothing when the food arrived. As in a bad way. I realised the menu at Le Monde was more pub fare than dining out “occasion” what with burgers and macaroni cheese etc, but it’s a very nice setting and I like to eat in the hotel I’m staying at and enjoy the venue. I ordered the rib eye steak and my partner, the falafel burger. Time to serve was OK, but when the food arrived my steak was at best lukewarm and my partner’s burger burnt to a crisp. My partner has never complained about the food anywhere we’ve eaten, she was hungry, but she just couldn’t eat the meal. I tried a piece and it was just incinerated. I called the waitress over and the meal was replaced without argument, all very pleasant.

In due course a new dish arrived with great apologies, and re the temperature of my steak, it was lukewarm on starting it, cold on ending it. The new burger was just as bad but with a good dose of cheese lashed on top to try and cover that. Again, my partner, with great apologies just couldn’t eat it, and again we spoke to a waiter who called the manager without prompting. By this time I was finished my meal and pointed out my steak was hardly warm either, the manager was very pleasant, offered us complimentary dessert and took my partner’s meal from the bill, but frankly I’d had enough, I’d pay for what I’d had and the wine and call it quits. I asked for the remaining bottle of wine to be placed in our room and that was no problem, and in fact the manager removed that from the bill too so I only paid for my steak. I have to say the venue was lovely, the service was fine and the staff and manager’s attitude to a problem excellent and very professional, just the food let the whole thing down. I signed for the meal and we went down to Hadrian’s at the Balmoral. Maybe I should’ve just booked there to begin with, but as I say I like to eat at the hotel if I can.

Later in the night we returned to try the club, Shanghai, that being a hotel guest gives you VIP access to. The chap on reception walked us down and showed us to the VIP bar, but we only stayed for one drink as it was a young crowd and very busy. Just not our taste but we had a look.

Comfortable night’s sleep, all well and good, but note it’s an 11am check out, even on a Sunday at Le Monde.

On check out the receptionist noted there been a problem with the food and he removed what remained of my food bill so I paid nothing in regard, and can’t fault the hotel on its service or customer care. We left our luggage at the hotel to enjoy the rest of the day and tried downstairs in the hotel for breakfast to see if that was better than dinner, and because of handiness too. As has been noted breakfast is not an all inclusive, you pay for each item but I was aware of that. Breakfast was warmer than my steak but not exactly sizzling either and to be honest about the quality you’d get from a department store or supermarket eatery – nothing wrong with it, it won’t kill you, but below par for what you’re paying and the setting. And I have to say once again that it is a very nice venue, just the kitchen seems to let the place down badly.

In terms of purely hotel, I would give Le Monde 4 deserving stars, the restaurant 2, so as this is a review of the hotel I’ll go with that and post my restaurant review separately.

1  Thank T_ManAberdeen

Thank you for taking time to post your critique on your stay at Le Monde. We are disappointed to hear that the food spoiled your otherwise enjoyable experience but I am pleased that our customer service and care met your expectations. We will certainly be using your feedback to better our dining experience as we do continually strive to provide our guests with only the best.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again as I am confident we will make up for the short-comings you encountered on this visit.

Yours sincerely,