“Fun hotel”

Ranked #85 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Fun hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed 1 night for business and was pleasantly surprised. I usually stay in the George which is virtually opposite, but that was full and don't regret it. Room was spacious and clean with an excellent bathroom. Staff were friendly & while I did not eat there the bar got a good testing, Would definitely return.

Room Tip: At the back so you get some peace and quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adrianhands

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was fortunate enough to get tickets to see the phenomimal Jacqui Dankworth perform for the last night of the Edinburgh Fringe festival. The band was amazing, certainly one of the best I've seen live before. The venue was five star, the Dirti Martini lounge was a perfect setting for this type of music and I would really love to see similar shows to this being held again. The staff were friendly and helpful, they really did manage to capture the atmosphere perfectly. I would definitely consider making the trip up to Edinburgh again to see another show!

• Stayed August 2013
Armadale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. We were really looking forward to it. The hotel looked fab, we had requested the Atlantis room.

When we checked in we were given the Atlantis room and advised that the reception would send some complimentary champagne to the room.

The room was lovely, very spacious, clean, a really comfy bed and a quirky fish tank that allowed you to see from the room into the shower.

The room was warm but there was a small fan in the room. We tried to adjust the air conditioning but found it was broken, the tv in the bathroom did not work, the lamps at the bedside did not work, the sink appeared to be blocked and the volume on the TV didnt work.

We got ready to head out and the complimentary champagne hadn't arrived we reported the faults to reception, we were advised that most of the faults were known to reception and were offered another room. The air conditioning didnt work in that room so we just left it and stayed where we were.

We were offered a taxi out to dinner and were advised they'd give us a few free drinks and something off the bill for the faults. We headed out an when we returned the sink was fixed and we had been given a larger fan.

The room was still stifling hot and the rest of the faults had not been resolved.

One thing worth mentioning is that we heard no noise at all in the room.

When we checked out we were charged for all the drinks we had and an upgrade fee! We asked about the upgrade fee which they removed. We didn't mention the drinks and just left. A man accompanied us to the car with an umbrella which we thought was a nice touch.

Overall we were quite disappointed although the hotel was lovely it didn't appear to be well maintained and nothing was really done to rectify the situation.

We have since emailed and have been offered another stay at the hotel. We will return but if we were to have the same experience again I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank C10mmy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stopped here for lunch this afternoon and it was a delight. The service was super fast and the staff helpful and friendly. The food was delicious and piping hot. The cocktails were scrumptious. We sat outside and watched the world go by.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank magst299
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great rooms - no disputing how luxurious the hotel is, but call me old fashioned, I arrived late, indicating to reception I'd had a very long day, to find I was booked into a room that (though a few stories up) was over the club below. I was woken throughout the night as clubbers cam and went - with a finally last hours as kick out time arrived - this was a Monday night! I called down to reception to complain but received no real apology. If I'd been warned on arrival of the possible problem with the location of the room I could have decided if I should stay or not. I had a long day to follow which was all quite stressful - I wont be choosing this hotel again, unless I'm in the partying mood!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rebecca b
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Went there for our anniversary, we got the Cairo room and was not disappointed, absolutely beautiful, the room was spotlessly clean and the bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in. The bar down stairs is also very nice, we had been in before but felt different being a hotel guest. we went to the Dome for a few drinks but just went back to Le Monde, we much prefer it there.
Definately worth a visit !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fochabers, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had two nights stay in the Monaco room. The room was lovely and clean, good size and comfy bed! The only down side was that there is a window between the bedroom and bathroom so there is no privacy. Might be suitable for some but I found this a bit weird!
Room had great facilities and had good views over George street. Was noise on the Saturday night from downstairs/outside but because we had been out ourselves we were asleep in no time. Might not suit everyone though as it was very noisy!
We did not have breakfast at the hotel. I do think at the price your paying, breakfast should be included.
Overall a lovely hotel but may be slightly over priced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple