“An excellent boutique hotel!”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #78 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An excellent boutique hotel!”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I stayed at LeMonde for one night as part of a business trip. When I looked on the website I saw they were offering a night in a suite (midweek) for the very reasonable price of £135, so definitely worth looking out on their own website for good deals like that. Check in was nice and easy and came with free drinks vouchers for the very stylish bar in the hotel. The room I stayed in (Tokyo) was huge and very nicely decorated with kimonos on the wall. The bed (although two smaller beds pushed together) was very comfortable. The room came with three TVs, one in the living area, one above the bed and one next to the recessed big bath. The bathroom was clean and very modern, with a waterfall shower and complimentary L'Occtaine products. I ordered room service and a DVD (they have a selection of over 100 that you can borrow) which came quickly. The food was delicious and not overly priced (about what you'd pay downstairs in the restaurant). There are loads of extras you can order (for a fee) before you check in too, such as chocolates, champagne, a romatic bath with rose petals etc and they offer packages such as romantic weekends or girly weekends! Overall well worth the trip, I'll be revisiting and asking to see the othe rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Blondetraveller86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Nottingham
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I'd spent quite some time at the bars at Le Monde with girlfriends on a weekend break away in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. The bar areas were light and airy and the choice meant you could sample 4 different bars without setting foot outside!
When a friend's 40th birthday arrived my husband and I decided on a surprise trip to Edinburgh and plumped on actually staying this time at the Hotel Le Monde.
With so many 'boutiquee' type hotels in Edinburgh the choice is quite hard but the minute we walked into Reception I knew we'd made the right decision.
Having caught the 7 oclock flight from Nottingham, we arrived somewhat bleary eyed to be greeted by a cheery and knowledgeable lovely lady at the front desk and to find our rooms were actually ready for us to check straight into. Bliss after a 4:30 'get up'.
From this point on nothing was too much trouble and the staff were fabulous. After a few little hick ups with our initial room we were upgraded instantly (without any promting) into 'Paris' which is a fantastic light and spacious room overlooking the wonderful George Street. The location of this hotel couldnt be better - right in the centre of it all, great for exploring the bars and shops (including Harvery Nicks) and a lovely walk to The Castle.
The Breakfast selection was good with staff once again friendly, professional and dare I say in 'local'. You also got a free drink and entry into the night club in your welcome pack. It would have been easy to not venture out of Le Monde as it has everything - great rooms, 4 distinctive bars, restaurants and nightclub, but if you dont leave it you have nothing to look forward to going back too.
If I had any negative comments then it would be that at kicking out time the night club guests do tend to hang around outside the hotel - merriment, shouting and singing not ultimately condusive at 3am to a relaxing stay!
After their first visit to Edinburgh our friends will be returning as will we and would have no hesitation in staying at Le Monde - we'll maybe try a Suite next time!.
Finally, the lift's little noises and announcement chap caused much merriment between the 4 of us - listen out for them!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PrincessTabs
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Everything we needed for our trip was either in the hotel or on our doorstep. Walking distance from the train station, Rose Street and the Old Town. Had a lovely afternoon sitting in St Andrew's Square in the sunshine.

We had dinner in the hotel which was delicious and took advantage of the VIP passes and complimentary cocktails in Shanghai nightclub which was excellent.

We treated ourselves to breakfast from room service as our room was great as was breakfast

Double sunken bath, double shower, 3 TV's, L'Occitaine toiletries and big white fluffy robes - what more could we ask for - nothing!

Staff were lovely especially Catriona and the head waitress in the restaurant - thank you for being so attentive and letting us know where everything was in the hotel.

We will be saving up to stay here again on our next trip to Edinburgh our new fave city :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luckyus71
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2011

In reviews like this, it's common to see phrases like "Amazing Stay!" or "Excellent Hotel" or "I/We Loved it!" - but let me tell you from the start that any and all phrases/superlatives are insufficient when describing my stay in Le Monde. I stayed with my girlfriend, across my 30th Birthday, and it was simply, quite truthfully an *incredible* experience.

Firstly, the room. We stayed in the Atlantis Room, a spotless, simply beautiful aquatically themed executive room. An entire, back-lit, marble effect stained-glass wall dominates, overlooking a huge and incredibly comfortable bed. If someone had told me that the bed was constructed of summer clouds and magic feathers, I would have believed them - it's that comfortable. The rose-petal turn-down was a lovely touch, and you don't so much lay on the pillows as have your entire head enveloped by them. Advisory warnings would be prudent, as once horizontal and comfortable you won't move for anything; earthquakes, meteor showers, alien invasion....you're just too comfy. Added to this is a beautiful fish tank, allowing views through to a great bathroom, large bath/shower and partitioned WC. The room has more amenities than you can shake a stick at; huge TV, bath robes, iron, complimentary Pringles/tea/coffee......you've got everything you need on hand. And for everything else, there's the Magic Black Ordering Book, allowing you to have pretty much anything delivered to your door.

The hotel itself couldn't be better placed. Five minutes from Waverley, five minutes from Princes St., Rose St. and smack on George St - you're in the middle of the best bits of Edinburgh. The staff couldn't be more helpful if they followed you around all day with genie powers and an infinite supply of wishes. They enquire about your day, what you're up to, they recommend attractions and places to see, they'll keep your luggage and have it delivered, they'll scoot up with DVD's and anything else you've ordered - and all this with a smile.

Quite frankly I could go on, waxing lyrical and getting all itchy to be back in Le Monde, so let me leave you with these final thoughts before I bore you to pieces. Book it. Book the hotel, right now. You'll not regret it! I left after two days feeling like the place was my home, and I'm sure, absolutely, positively convinced that you'll feel the same way.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tasaio_Khan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I had heard a lot about le monde so it had a lot to live upto, however I had not realised all the rooms were themed on a different city around the world. This unique selling point is something a bit different in Edinburgh and I have to say I applaud it. We stayed in the London suite and it was lovely, a great size, very clean, good finishings and the check in staff were extremely friendly and angaging and showed a genuine interest in our travel plans and were keen to help us make plans. A new boy working on reception went to the trouble of printing off menus from a few restaurants they had advised would be good to try and he brought them up to our room straight after we had checked in, we found this most helpful and I struggle to think of any other hotels that would be so attentive. In saying that all the staff here were lovely and we will definitely be coming back, thanks for having us!!

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank fbell77
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I booked a 2-night stay at Le Monde, Edinburgh as my long-distance boyfriend from Wales was visiting Scotland for the first time over his 30th birthday weekend. We completely fell in love with the photos of the Atlantis room and so requested it, but were aware that it is very popular. Booking was really easy with the reception staff answering any questions and even arranging the rose petal turndown for arrival rather than at night, as a 'surprise' for my boyfriend. They were even able to confirm that we had in fact got the Atlantis room a week before our arrival!

The hotel is centrally and ideally located on George Street, a short walk from Waverley Station and Princes Street, and is also surrounded by useful cafes, restaurants and anything else you might need. The Le Monde bar is next to the hotel entrance and from what we saw it is stunning to look at! The Shanghai basement club is downstairs from the hotel entrance and is decorated with lovely lights at night.

Checking in was easy, and the hotel held our luggage for us while we went for a coffee nearby until our room was ready since we arrived early - extremely handy! The reception staff are amazingly friendly and helpful whatever time of day, asking how your day is or if you have nice plans and informing us of sights we ought to see.

Finding the room was easy and our luggage was there when we arrived; real top class service. And what a room it was! The Atlantis room is the most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in. The rose petals on the bed were there (we both loved them so much we've each kept some as mementos!) and the breathtaking blue lit aqua glass wall lights the room and makes you feel like you've walked into another world! The amenities are extensive: complimentary sparkling water, Pringles, selection of teas and coffees and hot chocolate, hairdryer, 42" TV, DVD player, ironing board and iron, bathrobes, soap, safe and plenty storage space (in which to hide 30th birthday presents...). There are 2 phones in the room which is so appreciated, as I've stayed in hotels previously with none and it's very inconvenient and you feel pretty isolated, so two (and one next to the bed) was a good touch! The bathroom was gorgeous and spotless with a fantastic rainfall shower and huge bath, complete with TV with the music channel on. The fish tank above the bed does offer a peek into the bathroom *but* the toilet itself is a separate enclosed cubicle, in case anyone is worried - and there's much novelty to be had by making faces at each other when in the shower (if you're a big kid!). The bed has to be the comfiest bed ever; you just sink right into it, and even though you're above a nightclub I didn't hear a whisper. The room lights and temperature are all adjustable with button panels, conveniently positioned, which is brilliant for setting the mood or making getting up in the morning slightly less of a cold dash to the bathroom!

The room has two folders detailing popular attractions and sights of Edinburgh and one folder listing the services like room service and the free DVD library! We ordered breakfast in bed and had a gorgeous lazy morning on our second day, and it only takes 20 minutes or so to arrive and you can just pay upon check-out. So easy, and the food was lovely. We also phoned rather late at night and requested two DVDs fom the hundred-odd list to watch which were delivered so quickly by the receptionist and all for free!

We didn't get a chance to visit the Shanghai nightclub or order from the other room service menus but the whole stay was absolutely flawless! They kept our luggage even after check-out so we had the chance to get on an Edinbugh bus tour, visit a themed cafe and buy our souvenirs! And I've just come back home to find an e-mail from them hoping my boyfriend enjoyed his birthday - it's those touches that make all the difference. Even the lifts are great - they're dark and mysterious and the buttons make a very cute squeaking sound which had us both laughing every time!

I would recommend this hotel to pretty much everyone. I've posted pictures on Facebook and everyone seems blown away by just those! I cannot fault this hotel, I just wish we could have stayed longer. Thank you to all the staff at Le Monde for making the weekend everything I imagined it would be and more!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie1422
dumfries
Reviewed March 25, 2011

central location, very friendly andf helpful staff, comfrotable bed and good quality towels. The use of black smokey glass and dark lit lifts was confusing at first.
Breakfast menu is unclear; usual items such as juice and ceral not provided in a package, each item you by is charge! I had to pay £24 for smoked salmon and scarmbled eggs, so be careful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business