“Grab a bite before exploring Rose Street” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Irvine, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Grab a bite before exploring Rose Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We visited here on the first leg of the famous 'Rose Street challenge' and decided to line our stomachs before we commenced and I would agree the five of us were all pleased with the decision. Two of the lads had fish and the portion was huge. We sat outside in the sun on a nice day in July and later on realised it was one of a select few pubs in Rose Street that give you the opportunity to sit in the sun. The bar was really busy when I went into order, but when I got served the service was friendly and efficient and our food was served quicker than anticipated. We had moved table at this point to the next table as our original table was wobbly, which I detest. Overall this was a great wee start to our day and I would definitely recommend it. I believe the main courses were all about £9 and certainly worth it!

Visited June 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A 'must do' tourist destination”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

The new visitor centre here is excellent.
The audio visual plus the relics displayed were interesting.
The quality of food in cafe/restaurant is excellent and very reasonable.
Look forward to returning when the House restoration is completed in 2013 although the grounds themselves are worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great service food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and myself visited this very traditional pub in August while vising Edinburgh for the fringe festival , the building and bar look fantastic, we went up stairs to the restaurant, which is quiet and cosy. The service was second to none, however the food does not match that standard. I had the game rillettes as a first course...the rillette was more a cold stew of game, quite runny not set, how I expected it to be and lacked any seasoning.The main course of venison tasted lovely but unfortunately the meat was overcooked (we were not asked how we would like it cooked) and more sauce would have been great. the pudding menu was very unimaginative therefore we opted for coffee to finish. The bill was reasonable and the food wasn't too bad but overall we were slighty disappointed,,I suppose the imposing building and the service we recieved suggested the food would be better, we would visit the pub again but not the restaurant.

Visited August 2012
San Diego, California
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“great service and great selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

let me preface by saying this isnt the young crowd party place but its apparantly where the locals go.It was recommended to us by our amazing waiter at Wildfire(i highly reccomend its just up the street) and my boyfriend is a beer connoiseur(brews his own,knows all the micros,etc) and was pretty happy with the selection on tap they had(especially as it is a touristy city an area). the service was great(albeit we sat at the bar and we always tip). We talked with the bartenders,people watched and sample the beers and just a had a low key good time.we didnt eat here so i cant comment on the food but everything else was great and i recommend.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank mailboxblondie
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fantastic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

This really is one of the best pubs ive ever been to. The range of local ales and whiskeys is quite somthing. The barman that served us most the night was fantastic in sorting us out with the right drinks and really new his beers and whiskys. We had some bar food which i must say is again some on the best ive ever had.

All in all, i can only praise this pub, the staff, the food and naturallly the booze as the best ive come across. The only negative is i live 6 hours away..

If your in the area, its a must visit and when i go back, i shall certainly visit again

Visited November 2011