“Busy Sunday”

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Busy Sunday”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I visited the New Town bar on Sunday 19th August. The bar was packed out due to a charity event. The atmosphere was vibrant. A excellent mixture of comedy and song and one poor comedian who didn't go down well at all, although this was all part of the fun. A very entertaining afternoon and it was free to get in.

I found the staff to be friendly and efficient and happy to help a first time visitor to Edinburgh. I would definitely recommend this bar, especially if you are looking to get away from the twink's scene

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Graham D

Bath
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Its got a grip!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Not sure what the previous reviewer is/was on, but i was at the New Town Bar for most of August, (Festival etc) and i'll stick up for the bar staff, by saying that they were all very attentive, had good banter, which goes well with there good looks. Tom from London in particular was very attentive, and was at the ready for pour another drink, without me having to ask.
The basement bar may not be everyones cuppa, but its harmless fun, and the tunes the DJ was banging out were classic, not many on the dancefloor, but we all know any Gent over 45/50 yrs aren't exactly the best movers!!
The Bar is obviously doing something right, Fri and Sat nights are packed, and the crowd i was with seemed happy and wanted to stay til closing time (result as it was 4am).

Visited August 2012
1 Thank AG10582
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Get a grip.”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Awful attitude from the bar staff. Uninterested in the customers. Very interested in their smartphones. I had the audacity to interrupt their personal activities to ask for a drink. Served in silence apart from asking for the money. No please. No thank you.
No wonder this place is so bereft of customers.
High time you realise that you are there for your customers and it is only thanks to your customers that you are there.
As customer numbers dwindle, I wonder how much longer the New Town Bar will survive?

5 Thank Redxjs
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“ok with over 40 & 50 old people”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I came to Edinburgh for a short weekend trip. As I am in my late 30s. I dont see any young people here see people over 40s & 50s.(old people) The bar staff was nice to me. I came 3 times here on each day. Its is very quiet around 4pm. The music was very relaxing good choice of newspapers and magazines to read. The beer was very good nice and cool!. I like the music and the purple/blue lights around the tablewalls. The other people in the bar dont want to chat that was ok with me. I be back sometime next year.

Visited July 2012
Hong Kong, China
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“pretty ropey”
Reviewed February 18, 2009

NT bar? been many times. Dont live in uk anymore and when i revisited recently I found staff to be uninterested and taciturn, the regulars to be as unfriendly as ever and the venue adequate- just. problem is the scene is edinburgh is pretty smalla nd unfriendly in general. you can be lucky and meeta nice group but edin is infamous in scotland for being the gay scene with the 'chilly' receltion. festival time is a huge improvement when you can meet fresh faces who dont live in edin.
shame as the city is generally v friendly, scene continually lets it down.

4 Thank schemie2016