“Great old pub with plenty of history and character”

Deacon Brodie's Tavern
Ranked #18 of 214 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Templepatrick, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great old pub with plenty of history and character”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you want a quiet drink and to soak up the character of a traditional Scottish pub then pop into Deacon Brodie's on the Royal Mile.
It is used by locals and tourists alike and offers a wide range of local beers along with the usual international brands.
We popped in while visiting the city recently to get out of the cold and really enjoyed the craic and atmosphere.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Just average.”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Food was okay, but we had to wait a long time after ordering. Servers were not as friendly as in other places we had been in Edinburgh, but the place was full, and that is probably one of the reasons for that. It is okay if you have some time and if you are looking for a warm place on the Royal Mile. The place is named after William Brodie, who served as inpiration for Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

1 Thank IsadoraRamos
Dublin, Ireland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mid day drinks ”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Ran in here wen it started to lash rain grand lil spot to sit back relax n enjoy a drink while doin a lil bit a people watching ! Only negitive thing i noticed was the untidiness of a few staff members n dirty uniforms which slighly put me off

ipswich
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice pub”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Popped in for a quick drink and to shelter from the wind. Liked the decor and my whiskey. Disliked not having a great choice in whiskies available

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to Deacon Brodie Tavern yesterday and the food was really really bad! I live in Edinburgh and had been thinking of going to this place for a long time so decided to go there as both me and my husband were free over lunch and had a couple of hours to spare. Bad mistake!! I ordered what was described in the menu as prime line caught cod with hand cut chips and my husband ordered a piece of seabass, we thought we were in for a treat as outside the pub there was written that they are famous for their fish and chips. what I got was a piece of fish which when I cut filled my plate with water, making me think that it was not fresh but a frozen piece of fish. Due to the water the covering of the fish was all soggy. When I mentioned this the waitress did apologize and took it away but after 10 minutes brought back the same piece saying that it was a different one! I did say that I was not happy so then another waitress who looked more experienced came up to me apologized again and said that they had to serve me the same piece as they were out of fish. She was however more sensible that the previous younger one and looked at the soggy piece of fish and seemed genuinely sorry and said that we would not be charged for this. In the mean time my husband was served a piece of seabass which was burnt to a crisp. At this stage we were too fed up to argue anymore and decided to settle our bill and leave. We did however notice that a few people were ordering burgers, maybe they may be ok but we certainly will not be going there again to find out!

4 Thank Nandita C