“Good to be back”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Good to be back”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our first visit to Edinburgh in two years. This was where we headed as we got off the train. The pub was heaving but it was a six-nations weekend so we can't complain
I had wanted to book dinner but I was out -voted. I had remembered a previous visit where we HAD booked and our train was late so we pitched up with suitcases. The staff in the restaurant were not in the slightest bit bothered and placed our luggage behind the bar. At the end as it was late they called a taxi for us and didn't charge. The food had been very very good and I wanted to return, but it was not to be.
However on the Sunday we were leaving and wanted somewhere for lunch and this time I DID manage to manoeuvre everyone here. We sat at a table and had Cullen Skink(very good) linguine and fish and chips.The atmosphere was good and it was nice and welcoming when it was snowing outside.
Others have told you all about the wall tiles representing trades from years past. This adds an amount of interest to a pub visit.
This place is very convenient to Waverley. (and they look after your cases!). Probably one of the most unique pubs in Edinburgh

• Greek first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Busy Bar, difficult to get served, poor service.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We visited Edinburgh last weekend to celebrate my eldest son's 21st Birthday. We visited the Cafe Royal Bar twice, our first experience was indifferent because we simply couldn't get to the bar, when we did we ordered and the drinks were served, we decided to drink up and return the following night.

Unfortunatly the following night was also extremely busy with very little room, we eventally got a table, again our issue this night was the beer, the real ale was poor, we complained but instead of getting it changed we were sold a different beer! Poor. They also don't sell the normal Crisps and Nuts, but do sell a vile brand of their own assortments, we won't be returning until they improve their customer service.

We left this poor bar and went to Le Monde just at the end of George Street, that would be my recommendation.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Been many times to the Cafe Royal, excellent food, service,staff and the ambince is spot on, had lunch and then dinner later. Our favourite place in Edinburgh

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 335 helpful votes
“Lost it's appeal & Miss Selling of Drinks at Prices Different to Menu :(”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Used to be a fairly regular haunt, similar the the reviewer before me. It sure has lots its sparkle. I would have marked this as poor, but then my experience ordering drinks really droppd it too terrible.

I looked through the whisky menu, after orering a whisky I was charged a higher price than on the menu. I refered those serving to the price on the menu, but was told I cannot get it for the menu price. Thta is not only brutal customer service, but something Edinburgh Trading Standards might like to take a look at. Drinkers beware!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank JamzyW
Glasgow
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Bygone Days”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This bar has always been a favourite of ours when we visit Edinburgh and we were looking forward to visiting again when in Edinburgh for a few days just after the New Year. I have to be honest the place seems to have lost some of it's sparkle although I can't quite explain why. Like most places at this time of year it was quiet so getting a seat wasn't a problem. On Sunday we both had their traditional roast Sunday dinner complete with yorkshire pudding, we opted for the lamb. It was quite tasty albeit a huge plateful of food which neither of us came close to finishing.

A couple of days later having walked for miles taking in the sights of auld reekie, knowing that they serve food until 10pm and it was on our way back to our apartment, we decided we would call in there and have a late dinner. It was only about 8.30 but the kitchen was closed!Their explanation was that it was quiet although there were still diners in their restaurant.

The place seems a bit tired to me and the seating in some of the booths were torn and worn out. The lovely bar top could also do with some attention in places. The staff were friendly enough although there appears to be a new manager who is a bit 'in your face' and I was tempted more than once to tell him to go away. Please bring back the bygone days of this fabulous bar!

Visited January 2013