“pleasant stay”

Ranked #184 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Florida
“pleasant stay”
Reviewed November 29, 2008

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Arden Guest House. We arrived earlier than check in time and we were welcomed in immediately. (We didn't get any sleep on the plane and were exhausted) Our room was very nice and clean. We were on the top and had a slanted ceiling over one side of the bed. My husband is 6'3" and therefore I got that side. I must have hit my head 20 times! The bathroom was also very small, but we managed. Breakfast was fantastic! We had internet access which was amazing as we needed to get maps and let our families know we had made it okay. Location was great! The bus stop was very close. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great location and warm hosts!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slanted ceilings in bedroom and bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester UK
Reviewed November 1, 2008

I was visiting Edinburgh to catch up with old friends. I used to live in Edinburgh and so knew my way around. However the hosts, Laurie and Catriona, were able to bring me up to date on changes since I had been away and saved me many a wrong trip. I was comfortable and felt looked after. Breakfast was so good I did not need to eat again until evening! I noticed on another site a young Japanese girl, Setsuko, mentioned how dark it was trying to get into her room. I was there at the same time as she was. Setsuko tripped and hurt her ankle, and the owners took great care of her, taking her to the local hospital for a check up, Setsuko, WHY DID YOU NOT TURN ON THE LIGHT.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, great hosts
  • Disliked — the weather !
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Sylvania, Ohio
Reviewed September 20, 2008

This property was recommended to us by an Edinburgh resident. I don't think he was aware that there were new owners as of July 2008. Since the Fringe Festival was going on during our visit and our trip plans came together rather late (May), we were just grateful to find accommodations for <$300/night. This was the 1st trip outside the US for my husband and I. The online reservations/communication went smoothly. We had an early morning flight, so we arrived after breakfast and before the usual check in time. We were served coffee and croissants in the cheery dining room (no wallpaper held up with scotch tape) and were able to have access to our room as soon as it was ready. It was very much like staying at someone's house, rather than a hotel. The room was small, but the bed was comfortable and had nice linens. The bathroom was really tiny, especially the shower...but it was private. There was some mold in the shower, but it was so damp and rainy I can't imagine there would be any way to avoid it! We spent a little over 72 hours in Edinburgh...and I think there were only 3-5 hours when it wasn't raining! There were a variety of breakfast items, and Lorry (?sp) was attentive to the guests and the preparation of breakfast. These accommodations met our needs/expectations since we spent all our time sightseeing in the city center. There was no living room or common area for guests to use; so it would have been disappointing if we had actually planned some "downtime" there. The house was quiet during our stay, and we really didn't visit with any of the other guests at breakfast. Everyone appeared to be somewhat desperate to ingest their caffiene -of-choice rather than chat. The bus system wasn't too difficult to navigate once we studied the route maps a bit and got some helpful advice from Catriona. Since we were dependent on public transportation for our 11 day trip, we had traveled with a minimal amount of clothing, so the owners did a load of laundry for 10 pounds (Just a couple pounds more than a London coin laundry...and we were off to Edinburgh Castle instead of waiting on the dryer!). The new owners do seem eager to please their guests and are looking forward to making some improvements.

• Liked — It was quiet and away from the city centre
  • Disliked — The lingering odor of breakfast, lack of a common space to read, talk, etc.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 12, 2008

The rooms were clean, the breakfast was ok, but there's really nothing special about this guest house. It's sufficient for a stay in Edinburgh, if you don't mine riding the extremely confusing bus system. The owners were nice enough people, but kind of strange.

The guest house is about 3 miles outside of the main part of town, so you have to ride the bus or get a cab to go anywhere. Also, there's not much nearby in terms of food. There is a tiny indian/pizza/burger takeout place about 1/2 mile away, and the nearest pub is about a mile away.

I would say, don't stay here unless you have a car or are very adept at navigating confusing bus systems.

• Disliked — Inconvenient location for tourists
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank exdumpling
town
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We stay for one night and pay 60GBP for a super little room. There was no place for a chair or something to unpack the luggage or sit down. The bed sheet was dirty. The only Window to open had a size like a table napkin. The shower was heavy mould infested. The wallpapers in the breakfast room was hold together with adhesive tape.
The people were friendly and the breakfast was all right.
Over all we can not recommend to stay there.

• Disliked — cleanliness and space offered
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank guest0608
DEVON
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Six of us (gentlemanly rugby fans over 60) stayed 07/03 /2008 for 3 nights and all agreed the ARDEN was ideal for us. Full scottish breakfast set us up for the day. Bought all day tickets for bus travel good value! Janet and her staff were execellent with advice or answer to any qwestion we asked. Would highly recommend a stay at the ARDEN. Very clean, tidy, and as i said before, breakfast is one of the best we all have had anywhere on our trips.

Stayed March 2008
Derbyshire, England
Reviewed February 25, 2008

During my 4 night stay at the Arden hotel I felt very well cared for by Janet and her team. The levels of customer service for a small b&b are exceptional, with fresh fruit and biscuits every day, and a lovely breakfast. As a woman travelling alone it is often daunting to stay in new places, but I was made to feel so welcome it was like being at home. The rooms are modern and bright (I think some new photos are on their way) and very well maintained with high standards of cleanliness. It is easy to find on the main road and the bus stop is outside. I loved it and will be using it again for my staff and my family to stay in.

• Liked — personal attention
  • Disliked — it was all great
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business