Stayed there with my wife family and friends. We had three nights whilst other couples stayed for 1 or 2 nights only. We thought the location was good (short walk to Grass Market area) and some of our rooms were very good size. Breakfast wasn't great (not great portions; poor choice of cereal and cold scrambled eggs). We also had to wait some time for a table to be cleared once vacated by previous diners.
One of the couples staying for 2 nights were asked to move rooms for 1 of those nights and their luggage etc had to be kept in a friends room for most of that day whilst the room was prepared. The key for their new room wasn't available for some hours!
Towels were taken for washing but were not replaced immediately causing great inconvenience.
The younger staff were quite friendly although were unable to answer basic questions such as providing a taxi number. We were told we needed to speak to the Manager on his return.
The worst experience was on leaving the property. 4 of us wanted to settle the bill for staying having already paid a deposit. When we presented the owner with a credit card to settle our bill were asked quited forcefully could we not pay in cash. We were asked if we had any money and why we could not pay some of the bill in cash. We were told by the owner that she needed to buy things and needed cash. Even though the terms of payment posted on the back of the door of individual rooms stated payment accepted by credit card to our astonishment we were openly questioned as to our method of payment in front of another guest.
As experienced travellers we did not expect or appreciate such shoddy customer care. Would definitely not return under current ownership here despite its decent location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Edinburgh's city centre, Averon Guest House has spacious rooms, free Wi-Fi and free private parking. Shopping on Princes Street is just a 10-minute walk from the property and King's Theatre and numerous excellent restaurants are all close by.The Averon is a Georgian townhouse, offering rooms with modern en suite bathrooms with TVs and tea/coffee facilities. A full Scottish or continental breakfast is provided.The Averon Guest House is just a 10-minute walk from Edinburgh Castle. Edinburgh International Conference Centre is within a 5-minute walk.Bus tours to Loch Ness or Loch Lomond can be arranged at the guest house and they leave every morning after breakfast.In the evening there is free Scottish musical entertainment where the owner sings traditional Scottish songs including songs by Robert Burns and is a "musical tour of Scotland" together with a beautiful picture show of Scotland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Book Direct Rooms, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your Averon Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Averon Guest House Hotel Edinburgh
- Averon Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland