“good guest house. nice room. friendly owner”

Alexander Guest House
Ranked #279 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice guest house. very clean. room and mattress great also. the owner, heather, is a very friendly person, and was a plesure to talk with her. my room did not include a private bathroom, but since I think I was alone in the 1st floor, it didn´t cause me any trouble since i was the only person using the bathroom. hotel is not in the center of edimburgh but there are at least 8 diferents buses that you can use to go and come that stop in the front of the hotel every minute. so the location is not a problem at all.

The breakfast time is till 9am that I think is too early. and breakfast is lil basic

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank geo10_12

Reviewed October 13, 2013

for the price i was very pleased. clean and welcoming. A little tired in places and not sure about the full wall mirror in the shower room! great location for getting into town or a stroll though through The Meadows. Numerous bars and eating establishments nearby.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet night try to get a room at the back, otherwise your on thew main road
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank simonhippo
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay - very casual atmosphere very nicely decorated. We had the private room/bath on the ground floor. Lots of stairs if you stay on the third floor! We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank JenniV10
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The bathroomfloor was sticky and not clean. The wifi connection was very bad through the whole place. The owner was not really interested. For the rest it was OK. The public transport was just 50 meters from the B&B. So it was easy to visit the centre.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank rudolpho23
Reviewed May 16, 2013

When we arrived, we didn't feel welcome at all. Keys were shoved in our hands and that was that. We almost had to beg for additional information about bus rides into town and restaurants in the neighbourhood. The rooms are spacious, but not very clean (spiders came crawling out of my towel). The plumbing is so noisy that if someone uses the bathroom at night you'll be awake for an hour due to the after-noises. The mattrasses would make excellent iron boards, that is, if you are so lucky to have a mattrass with alle the springs still in it.
The tank of my toilet was broken which resulted into annoying dripping at random moments in time, preferably at night. The remote of the TV worked on and off (mostly the latter) and the most horrific was the breakfast. There was no choice at all, without words or goodmorning an English breakfast was served, complete with sausages that tasted like poisened rubber. Attempts from us on the second day to be protected from the sausages failed; the lady didn't want or couldn't understand what we wanted. She wasn't interested anyway.
The heater ran all night on my room, which made it incredibly hot. I tried to turn it down but the button broke from the radiator. I couldn't open the window because the window frames were rotten and hence the ledges wouldn't hold. If there were any ledges.
Fair is fair: I didn't present any of my complaints to the lady of the house. I didn't expect her to be able to deliver a new mattrass, window frames, radiator etcetera. I suspected my complaints wouldn't be heard and would lead to more irritation during my short time in Edinburgh. So I chose not to. May be she could have helped me with the empty batteries in the remote from the TV, but just that wouldn't have made my day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brix68
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at this guest house in October and found the accommodation and service not up to what we were expecting. The guest house has the feeling that it is desperately in need of a coat of paint and the services of a maintenance man. Although I will mention lots of problems and niggles which individually would not be too much of a problem but because of the number of them became very annoying. More details of our visit are as follows:
Location – the guest house is located about 30 minute walk from Waverley station and Prince’s Street. It is very easy to find and is directly on a bus route to the centre of the city (which we did not use).
Accommodation – the bedroom at first glance appears to be very nice, but on closer examination, all is not well. The room is quite large with a small en-suite bathroom containing a wash basin, toilet and shower cubicle. This is where the problems first become noticeable. The glass shelf above the sink is loose and slopes downwards so placing anything on the shelf falls into the sink! There is also a large chip in the shower tray. The electric shower is easy to use and works quite well but there is not much water pressure also the light above the sink did not work.
The bedroom also on first glance appears to be well presented but you rapidly discover lots of problems. There are two bedside lamps which when attempting to switch them on would not work – they were not plugged in. We then found that to plug one of them in I had to move the bed slightly, the other lamp we could not find a socket for (it may have been further behind the bed but could not find it). When trying to find a socket for the kettle and hair dryer near to the dressing table could not find one. I eventually found it behind the dressing table and had to physically move the heavy wooden furniture to access the sockets. On doing this found a large hole in the wall (about 6cm diameter) through which runs the aerial cable.
The paint work and decoration in the bedroom is desperately in need of a coat of paint and contains many chips
Breakfast – The breakfast was served in the front room with cereals, grapefruit segments, prunes and juice all being self- service. We both had the “Full Scottish” breakfast which although nice, was greatly lacking in quantity. The breakfast was served by a young foreign girl who sometimes had difficulty understanding us and making herself understood.
Our overall impression of this guest house is that it appears to be badly neglected and we would not stay there again. The sign outside the guest house shows 4 stars, what are these for and how often are the facilities checked?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeejayTyneside
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I did not stay at this B&B so my comments do not relate to the quality of the accommodation, only my reservation experience.

My advice is - do make very very sure that your confirmed reservation is really confirmed. I had a confirmed booking for an en suite room for 3 nights (September 21-24); my chain of emails included bus directions to her B&B, and my check-in time (which was going to be 9pm-ish). Then, a few days before I was to check in, I received an email from Heather saying that she won't have a room for me. Apparently, the B&B was fully booked for the month of September and she had looked at October when she confirmed my reservation.

We all make mistakes, but I find it strange that a B&B with just a few rooms would not know that it's been fully booked out for the month, especially when my initial enquiries started in September, not months ago.

I was returning to Edinburgh from the highlands the night I was to check in. Fortunately I had internet access while I was away and saw Heather's email. More fortunately, I managed to find alternative accommodation, albeit a lot more expensive. This experience did not leave me with a good impression and I won't bother with them the next time I visit Edinburgh.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo