Thistle House
$120
$94
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$235
$227
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$223
The Place(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$124
$98
  • Restaurant
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$79
  • Bar/Lounge
$52
Agoda.com
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$117
$108
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed for one night during the snowy March of 2013. The area is beyond the Commonwealth Pool on the Dalkeith Road, so using the bus (which stop 50m from the B&B) is recommended. The owner, who's English was quite accented (but then so is mine) was extremely friendly and the check in was painfree. As is increasingly common with the cheaper B&Bs in Scotland money is expected up front (too many defaulters I suppose), but the room was a cosy ensuite with very comfortable and recently refurbished furniture and the wifi worked a treat. The view over the back gardens with the snow was indeed beautiful.
The ensuite was snug, especially the shower, I would not recommend it to the size 18+.
Breakfast was 'light', ie. continental, cereals, toast, yoghurt and hot drinks and well presented.
Overall a good place to stay, if you know who to use the public transport system.

Room Tip: if you have problems with stairs this place may be problematic. it stretches over two steep staircases, but the single at the top is well worth the effort
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over new year. Owner friendly but English not great, wanted payment as soon as we walked in, but we insisted on checking out the rooms first. Double en suite was a large room with a tiny shower room but clean and comfortable.The furniture is old but i suppose it suited the building. For the price we paid i suppose it was value for money, and the continental breakfast was adequate. For a short stay it suited our needs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Thistle House and enjoyed our stay very much; the hotel is lovely and the location is excellent--2-3 blocks from Haymarket station and just a short walk to Princes Street as well as the Royal Mile. The staff was very accommodating and offered excellent suggestions for restaurants nearby and the quickest walking path. The breakfast was fine but a little limited but overall the Thistle was great.

Room Tip: Many stairs so ask for a room on the lower floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank z0eybee
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had an amazing time! We were lucky to get the big bedroom, it was very clean. Free wifi & breakfast were included, no complains there. Just one thing, I could hear my next door so I am not sure if the sound proof is bad or they were really loud but it did not bother me. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was decent, I really liked it there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I-Shun
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week. Overall we had a very pleasant time here. There was always a free on street park near by, usually right out the front of the guest house. The staff were so nice and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile. The free continental breakfast is basic but suited us fine. The room was comfortable and clean. Also very warm! We stayed in a double ensuite with free tea and coffee facilities and TV. Room is serviced as requested. I would absolutly reccomend The Thistle House. The transport into the city centre is very easy a bus across the road every 5 - 10 mins. Great value for money accomodation.

Room Tip: Choose and ensuit room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple