“Value for money”

Ranked #286 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
johannesburg
“Value for money”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over new year. Owner friendly but English not great, wanted payment as soon as we walked in, but we insisted on checking out the rooms first. Double en suite was a large room with a tiny shower room but clean and comfortable.The furniture is old but i suppose it suited the building. For the price we paid i suppose it was value for money, and the continental breakfast was adequate. For a short stay it suited our needs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Thistle House and enjoyed our stay very much; the hotel is lovely and the location is excellent--2-3 blocks from Haymarket station and just a short walk to Princes Street as well as the Royal Mile. The staff was very accommodating and offered excellent suggestions for restaurants nearby and the quickest walking path. The breakfast was fine but a little limited but overall the Thistle was great.

Room Tip: Many stairs so ask for a room on the lower floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank z0eybee
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had an amazing time! We were lucky to get the big bedroom, it was very clean. Free wifi & breakfast were included, no complains there. Just one thing, I could hear my next door so I am not sure if the sound proof is bad or they were really loud but it did not bother me. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was decent, I really liked it there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank I-Shun
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week. Overall we had a very pleasant time here. There was always a free on street park near by, usually right out the front of the guest house. The staff were so nice and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile. The free continental breakfast is basic but suited us fine. The room was comfortable and clean. Also very warm! We stayed in a double ensuite with free tea and coffee facilities and TV. Room is serviced as requested. I would absolutly reccomend The Thistle House. The transport into the city centre is very easy a bus across the road every 5 - 10 mins. Great value for money accomodation.

Room Tip: Choose and ensuit room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I spent only one night in Edinburgh and stayed in this place. The staff is helpful but the policies of this hotel are not convenience for customers. In my opinion, it is fine to charge 2% in the case of using credit or debit card but they haven't informed on booking via internet. There would be breakfast but only cereal and juice, if you prefer to have hot breakfast, you might need to pay addition charge about 5 pounds. Again, it had not informed via booking. The room is fine but not be impressed because the bed sheet is quite old and look cheap. Overall, this hotel might not worth for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kong10
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The staff are wonderful, helpful & attentive.
I asked if they had soy milk at breakfast and they dashed out to get me some right away. They even offered to buy in vegan options for breakfast for me. Our late arrival & early departure were also no problem for them. Generally pleasant & helpful at all times.

The Location is good. It is a bit away from the centre (30 minute walk approx') we were happy with that. It is in a pleasant area which has regular, bus links & getting a taxi is not to pricey.

Our room was an ensuite double. It was large & comfy with tea&coffee facilities, tv & hair dryer. It was cleaned daily and we were very happy with it.

I felt that this B&B was great value for money and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a city centre hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I had an amazing stay at this guest house the staff were very helpful to all my needs. We were in the family en suite it is a spacious room with a good view. My kids had a great time in the back garden. The guest house is near the city centre and close to Arthur seat. Cameron Toll is full of shops and is a nice shopping complex. People are sweet and kind in Edinburgh I would definitely recommend this guest house to my friends and family. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Give them a call and they will accommodate your ever need.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family