“A real gem of B&B <3”
Review of Thistle House

Thistle House
Ranked #305 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2011

1. Hotel staff were VERY friendly! We walked there from the train station in Edinburgh (DON'T do that if you are carrying a lot of things, there're several buses, #2, 14, 30, 33 and 48 of Lothian Bus for example, that stop less than 100m away from the place!) and lost our way. We called the staff and he gave very clear instruction to us :)
Upon arrival, he offered us tea/coffee FOR FREE as the room was not ready, but it was just because we arrived earlier than the official check-in time. How sweet is that!
2. The room is very spacious and the bed is super comfy <3
3. It feels very much like home there, SERIOUSLY.
4. The breakfast was great!
5. The interior design is wonderful, I took picture practically EVERYWHERE LOL

In short, IT IS HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, FROM THE BOTTLE OF MY FRIENDS AND MY HEART <3

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 1, 2009

My host was very friendly and laid back. The first night that I arrived he didn't insist that I pay for my room right away. I could wait until the next morning. I was also able to stay an extra night without a fuss. Breakfast was always wonderful. The room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was modern and also very clean. The house is about 25 minutes from the Royal Mile on foot or only a few minutes by bus.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I was there last month with my colleague at The Thistle House. The place is marvellous, the rooms are well cleaned, cosy and it's very close to the city centre. The Scottish Breakfast was amazing. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Upon entry the owner/whoever made it abundantly clear that we were an inconvience by yawning multiple times with a frustrated face. And proceeded to ask that we pay everything before we put our bags down.
The breakfast was the CHEAPEST and worst tasting 'english' I've had in years and the toilet moves when you sit on it.

NEVER returning there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank LondonBnBFan
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Very good guest house and received a great welcome. Ideally located and very cute and cosy rooms. The bathrooms were small but the over all very nice guest house.. Parking is available but for only 1 or 2 cars but we never found it difficult to get parking outside the guest house.. Every morning they serve scottish breakfast which is very good.. We were told that there is internet access but when we were there due to some reason it was not working.. but over all a very good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were warmly welcomed to this clean, fresh smelling, cosy, well facilitated accommadation. We had a large room with ensuite. The breakfast was supurb. There is an added cost for a full breakfast however we did not require this, as we had ample to eat with that provided. Parking is a premium. Once we found a park we left the car there and took the bus into the city as the bus stop was in close proximity to the accommadation.
We put our towels out for changing however they we not changed. On return to the room we found that our used towels had been put back in the ensuite again.
If booking here,save yourself frustration by obtaining clear directions on location beforehand, as we got very lost initially.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at the Thistle House on a short solo trip to Edinburgh. I normally stay at another B&B on Kilmaurs Terrace, which is my favorite in the UK, but on this trip I was alone and only needed basic accommodations.

I found the room to be perfectly adequate, clean and comfortable and I was very pleased to discover it was en suite. For the price, it was amazing.

Breakfast was more along the lines of a London B&B as it lacked haggis and black pudding and the more boutique touches many Scottish B&B's are known for, BUT it was tasty and filling and kept me satisfied until dinner. I was offered second helpings, too.

The host was gracious and pleasant. I hate to admit that being an American I do not have an ear for certain accents, and I did struggle understanding him. (I consider this my own shortcoming.)

The Thistle House is located in a neighborhood with dozens and dozens of B&B's (no online resource I have found lists them all). The nearby bus service is very convenient or it is a refreshing walk from the Royal Mile and Princes Street. It is also very near Holyrood Park.

If you want clean accommodations at a bargain rate this is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo