“Lovely Place”

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #26 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We loved this place for its beautiful decor, excellent breakfast and quiet but central location. A five minute walk puts you in the middle of George Street so don't be deceived by maps -- it is very centrally located. The staff were terrific too!Definitely would recommend to family and friends!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hugalex1
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Morning Hugalex
Thanks for a quality little review. I'm sitting here having my morning coffee before we go in to a busy August day and reading this review cheered me up. Our hotel is well located for everything in Edinburgh and of course , we are part of the Stockbridge village . I hope to welcome you again soon to Nira in Edinburgh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at the Nira recently during the Edinburgh Festival as part of our mini-honeymoon.

The room itself was very nice. We had a jacuzzi bath and it was fantastic, probably the best bath/shower I've ever had. The bed was super comfortable as well. The rooms are beautiful and the garden ours backed on to was very nice.

But there are a couple of things I'd like to pick up on. The bed side tables are useless, the lamps on them take up all the space so you can't put a glass of water on theme without the glass being unstable. My wife had trouble drying her hair as there was no plug point available near a mirror. Overall I'd say there was a lack of plug points to charge gadgets. Also there wasn't a bottle opener or price list for the mini bar which meant a couple of phone calls. The wifi in the room was very unreliable, it kept disconnecting on all our devices.

These are small points, as the breakfast was amazing, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. But overall I do not think it was worth the money we paid for the room (although I know we payed a festival premium).

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bugenglishteacher
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Hello bugenglishteacher
Oh, some work to be done here I see.. Right then . Firstly brilliant you over nearly everything and that you thought the staff and breakfast were amazing,

Secondly, these bed side tables.. I totally agree they are in some too far too cluttered. I stay every week and often try to fix such things while I'm in the room. Some rooms how beer there are just not enough space for the needed basics like lamps and coffee machines, but trust me we are working on it, I'm not sure which room you stayed in but I'll have a look today and see if I can work it out.
Great review, not amazing.. Next time we will be just amazing....

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Upon arrival we were quickly checked in by a friendly receptionist who was very helpful.

We stayed in room 10/1 which is on the top floor. If you have any difficulty climbing stairs I suggest you request a room on the lower floors as it is quite a hike. The room was lovely. It came equipped with a kettle (in the wardrobe) and a coffee maker. The mini bar is fully equipped and not too badly priced.

The bathroom is really nice with lots of lovely bathroom products supplied.

The bed was very comfortable with lovely plump pillows. There is also free wifi and the signal worked perfectly both in the room and restaurant.

We had breakfast every morning at the restaurant. My partner varied his breakfast each morning and said everything was cooked perfectly. Im not much of a breakfast person but there was breakfast to order from the menu plus a selection of fruit, yoghurts etc to help yourself to. The waitresses were very attentive and served coffee and tea when required.

We also had dinner in the restaurant on one night. The restaurant looks lovely at night, lots of candles and a great atmosphere. The food was cooked to perfection and I would definately dine here again.

The walk into the heart of the city takes about 20 minutes. Just head upwards and veer left. Its quite a nice walk as the hotel is in a quiet part of the city with lots of beautiful buildings. If you prefer a taxi it is only a short drive and cost about £6.

The staff at this hotel were excellent. The receptionist was very helpful and even printed off our boarding passes.

Also I must mention how great the one barman was on Friday night. We meant to go back to sample one of his cocktails but we never had time, maybe next time.

This was our first visit to Edinburgh and we had a fab time. It is now officially my favourite city and I cant wait to go back and i would definately stay at this beautiful hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the lower floors if you have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireDaws

Hello ClaireDaws

What a great review, sounds like you really experienced the full Nira experience . 10/1 is one of our petite doubles but it's a great room with stunning views. We make a big effort at breakfast time to get it "just right" I'm glad you loved it and the transformation of he room at dinner to make it a dark and romantic restaurant I agree is fantastic. Thanks for the review. Everyone counts

Reviewed August 12, 2014

stayed here for a night in Edinburgh, the hotel is one of the best I have stayed at. The Hotel is an entire Regency House in the New Town, is opulently appointed and our room even had it's own garden. The breakfast was excellent and the staff fist class. Go there.

Yeahhhhhhh dgh&cjh
We loved looking after you guys, it's always so so nice when guests really get what we are trying to achieve, given that. We are just a small hotel. You can come back any time my friends !! Thanks for reviewing us, it makes a huge difference to the whole team

Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights. We were very happy with the beautiful room and the friendly service. The staff were mostly pretty young and did a very good job. They were helpful, polite and professional. We were taken by one of the staff to our room and showed around it was large. well decorated and comfortable. A few minutes later there was a knock at the door and they brought us both a nice glass of champagne to welcome us. Nice touch.
Our room was number 6-10 it faces the front of the hotel. A time or two I heard people outside but that was because we slept with the windows open. The street is quiet and off the beaten path. We were so happy there. It is not far to walk to restaurants and many attractions in town.
The restaurant is very good too. We had a delicious breakfast every morning that is included. Cooked to order dishes and a lovely buffet of fruit, rolls, jams, cheese, meat etc.
We also had dinner there two of the nights and were very happy with the delicious food.
I would chose this lovely small, warm hotel again.

NardaS
Sounds to me like you guys had a pretty good time and everything went well during your stay. We spend a lot of time working on our service cycle and standards both front of house and in the restaurant so I glad that all went to plan. 6/10 is a stunning room, really breathtaking and the views of the street are very Edinburgh . I look forward to welcoming you back to stay again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed at the Nira Caledonia for two nights in July. Everything about this hotel was prefect from the friendly staff to the beautiful bedroom. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the city centre which was gave us a prefect base for the weekend. The pillows were a little soft for our liking but we did have the largest G&T ever in the bar downstairs which made up for it.

Well MEDD190
Your review is a peach. Thanks. Short but sweet but it says it all about the way we want to hotel to be seen. Great staff, great service and GREAT G&Ts. Come back to stay again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We had two rooms here for three nights - one a suite and one a petit double room - all absolutely immaculate with lovely toiletries and comfy beds. It's a beautifully appointed hotel in a great location. An easy walk into the centre and getting a cab back at the end if the day was not a problem and really inexpensive.
I think what really makes this hotel very special is the staff. Everyone was incredibly welcoming, professional and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We had dinner here one evening and were served an amazing amuse-bouche of slightly spicy fish cakes, which were amazing.
Breakfast was fresh and wonderfully cooked, and again, anything we asked for was met with a smile and great service. Very special conserves and marmalades - espresso marmalade was great. We didn't get the turn-down service or water in our rooms, but I'm sure had we asked it wouldn't have been a problem!
Already looking at dates to return here! Thank you to all the staff for making our trip to Edinburgh so special!

Room Tip: The suite with jacuzzi bath, separate sofa area and garden was really nice
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Hello Barbara2812
Finally the espresso marmalade gets a mention. The breakfast team will be chuffed. All our jams and marmalades come from the farmers market on just down the hill for the hotel every Sunday. This espresso marmalade is a big staff favourite trust me. Thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review , during August it rarely happens. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.