“Fabulous!!”

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #17 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing service for us all last
weekend. Everything was just brilliant, from the actual booking, to
arriving, to being looked after at the hotel. Everyone was extremely
professional and helpful, and remarked upon by our whole party.

The rooms were also fantastic, spacious, bright, and clean, so again, thank
you. And the breakfast was fabulous. Hope we didn't overstay our welcome in
the dining room as breakfast did last about an hour and a half!

Would happily recommend you to anyone and hopefully some of us will return
again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Hello Oldschoolfriends

Well, let me start with breakfast is important and at Nira we take it seriously. local sourced breads and meats, sausages and bacon from a local Butcher and more importantly breakfast runs until 11 on weekdays and 12 at weeknds, i want guests to enjoy their time with us and that starts with a full breakfast and time to eat it. We all really enjoyed loking after your party and i hope to see you all again soon.

There are newer reviews for Nira Caledonia

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed in a similarly marketed hotel around 6 months and the difference between that hotel and this one was like night and day.

Many hotels could learn a lot from the Nira Caledonia, be it in the appearance and performance of their staff or the carefully sourced food prepared with great attention to detail which the kitchen produces.

All the staff we encountered displayed a level of service and sincerity that is rare in many other hotels. Neil and Emma in particular seemed to go the extra mile to make sure that their guests were enjoying their stay. I also thought that the staff uniform was very smart and unique. No drab, generic black and white here. Beige plaid waistcoats and suit jackets complimented by smart throwback braces set a unique and stylish standard. To be honest, I could sum up the entire hotel vibe based purely on the uniform! Smart, classic & sophisticated, yet stylish.

The rooms are all different and our executive room was spacious and modern with a classic twist (or is that classic with modern twist?) Cherry blossom wall paper was complimented by minimalist black furniture with an Oriental twist creating a very relaxing atmosphere.

Location-wise it provides an ideal compromise. It is tucked away in a classic little cobbled street, but is two blocks from the George Street nightlife and 3 blocks from the hustle and bustle of Princes Street.

We ate dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night and opted for the 7 course taster menu which was delicious. Various dietary requirements were met without any problem and the service was impeccable. Breakfast the following morning was consistent with both the standard of food and level of service.

This trip was a birthday present from my husband and he liaised with staff at Nira Caledonia to provide some lovely little treats throughout our stay. It is these personal touches that really put the Nira Caledonia ahead of the competition.

2  Thank caz141

Awww Caz141
You had me at Hello.
What a peach of a review and thanks for name dropping Emma and Neil. Emma is Head of Reservations and very much the girl that needs to be won over for upgrades and all things nice, and Mr Neil our conceirge is certainly the man to know should you need a table in any restaurant in town.
Our Nira uniform is very special and i think helps capture the true nature of what we are trying to acheive. Individual , stylish service with a twist. Its always nice to know the little touches we try to deliver are noted, from the the scented towels to the tunnocks team cakes, its what makes Nira Caledonia a little different from the rest. Come back soon, remember to book direct (Ask for Emma)

Reviewed April 28, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We booked Nira Caledonia for a short two night stay and can highly recommend it as a great place to stay. It is located just a short walk from the centre, in a quiet area near to the new town - and we loved the fact that it was just outside the tourist area. There are some lovely cafes and shops in the new town nearby, and the staff at the hotel gave us some great tips on where to go. We were on the hunt for vintage clothing - and with the help of the staff - discovered some great places to go.

Our room was spacious and comfortable, it was up several flights of stairs and on the top floor, fine for us, but would have been a bit challenging for someone less able. There were some nice touches including Tunnocks marshmallow and biscuits - yum!

We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was good although much of it was cooked on a charcoal grill - which did make things taste very much all the same. The breakfasts were lovely though, fresh fruit, nice bread and cooked Scottish breakfast - all cooked to perfection. It really set us up for the day.

The outstanding feature of this hotel was the staff - they couldn't do enough for you and were so helpful. Nothing was too much trouble - and for this reason alone we will be back. My husband and I stay in hotels a lot for work, and we wanted something a little special for our two day break. We definitely found this at the Nira Caledonia.

Room Tip: if you are less abled make sure you dont get the top floor as its up several flights of stairs

Good morning 881joC
Wow, sounds like you had a great stay. The team here at Nira really pride themselves on delivering a top level service, and of course no review is complete without a mention of our favour Tunnocks tea cakes ..
All in all a great little review , thank you so much for posting.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

It's taken a while to find some spare time to write this review but I feel that one definately needed to be written! I stayed at Nira Caledonia with my girlfriend on valentines day this year. From the minute we entered we were treated like royalty. The reception and bar staff were welcoming and polite and we were offered some complimentary drinks as our room wasnt ready when we arrived (which more than made up for the 10 minute wait), the manager even came and chatted to us to see how we were and to give us some information about the hotel which I thought was a really nice touch! The room was incredible and spotlessly clean!!! The MASSIVE jacuzzi at the foot of the bed was amazing! We've stayed in other 5 star hotels but I definately think Nira Caledonia has the classiest look. The restaurant is also definately worth a visit! We had the 7 course valentines tasting menu that was absolutely incredible paired with a matched glass of wine for each course! When we got back to the room after dinner the staff had been in and placed lit candles and rose petals all over the room which completed the night! A really nice touch which obviously went down a treat for the wife! Breakfast was also brilliant with loads of choice! Really cant say enough good things about this hotel, I've paid alot more for a lot less in the past. We will 100% be going back to Nira Caledonia and reccomend it to EVERYONE! Thanks again Nira Caledonia!

Room Tip: Get a "Jacuzzi Room" when you book, they are the business!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hey Jamie W
Thanks for this review, and thanks for taking a few moments to post it, I know a lot of our guests use Tripadvisor to choose a hotel but very few actually post. Our 7 course tasting menu really is a hit, we have tweaked it slightly for the summer but it really is a must try. I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This was our second visit to Nira for our first wedding anniversary. Our first visit for our honeymoon back in April 2013 was pretty much faultless. This time things were lovely (and I don't want to detract from what is a lovely hotel) but there were a couple of things that were disappointing this time. Firstly, we had a jacuzzi suite at the front of the hotel which wasn't quite such a nice room as the first but was nevertheless a spacious and well appointed room. This time, however, I thought it odd that for such a highly rated hotel the bed had one sheet and nothing else between us and the mattress. NOT a good sign of cleanliness and hygiene! What happened to a mattress protector at the very least? The bathroom had one or two issues of 'lazy' cleaning and the shower screen had no strip to prevent the water going all over the floor. Lastly, the waiter at breakfast was polite but seemed a little inexperienced and forgot about us on occasion. He then asked if I was happy to keep the same knife and fork for my main after having had fruit to start. Again, it should be normal practice that you're given clean cutlery for each course, never mind in a hotel of this standard.

I should say that on our first visit we had a fabulous jacuzzi suite at the back of the hotel with our own little garden. Beautiful. Staff were polite, breakfast was lovely and the location meant it was quiet and secluded but a short walk away from Edinburgh City Centre. A really relaxing and luxury getaway.

It's important to point out these discrepancies for the benefit of people thinking of visiting but mainly for the hotel management and staff who might otherwise not be aware of these small but nevertheless surprising issues. All in all this is a beautiful hotel and we may wish to return one day but I think it's important that these 'minor' issues are investigated as they bring down what is otherwise a beautiful hotel. As a result I have given 4 stars on this occasion instead of what should be 5. Keep an eye on the details Nira! The little things let you down this time.

Room Tip: Go for a jacuzzi suite at the back, they're much nicer.
1  Thank Mischief77178
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Hmmm Mischief77178
I've taken a little time to consider my response to your review. I thought it odd that you claimed to have an amazing visit in 2013 but never reviewed then posted after your second visit. However it seems you had a good stay, with some points to note. All our rooms have mattress toppers and or are "double wrapped" so I'm unsure as to the point you make with regard to cleanliness. It's difficult for me to comment on the shower strip as I cannot ascertain which too you stayed in , as some rooms have Jacuzzi baths with showers over them it is impossible for strip to be fitted . I feel the use of the word "discrepancies " is out with what I would call acceptable , however Tripadvisor disagree , however as always I urge any guest with a suggestion for Management to speak to the hotel directly at the time , rather than post on forums such as this one. I hope that you do visit again and if so I'll look forward to speaking to you in person.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I can't wait to review it though we are still travelling in UK at the moment.Spent 3 nights in this hotel with my wife.small but a really good hotel,big and unique style guest room with good breakfast,and I'd strongly suggest that try its wonderful restaurant for dinner !

• Stayed: April 2014
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Hello MZ1968
Sounds to me like you enjoyed your time with us and that tells me we are doing our job. The team at Nira are all very proud of the hotel and we aim for a guest centric experience that will ensure guests return year after year. I lok forward to welcoming you back to us soon