We stayed in a similarly marketed hotel around 6 months and the difference between that hotel and this one was like night and day.
Many hotels could learn a lot from the Nira Caledonia, be it in the appearance and performance of their staff or the carefully sourced food prepared with great attention to detail which the kitchen produces.
All the staff we encountered displayed a level of service and sincerity that is rare in many other hotels. Neil and Emma in particular seemed to go the extra mile to make sure that their guests were enjoying their stay. I also thought that the staff uniform was very smart and unique. No drab, generic black and white here. Beige plaid waistcoats and suit jackets complimented by smart throwback braces set a unique and stylish standard. To be honest, I could sum up the entire hotel vibe based purely on the uniform! Smart, classic & sophisticated, yet stylish.
The rooms are all different and our executive room was spacious and modern with a classic twist (or is that classic with modern twist?) Cherry blossom wall paper was complimented by minimalist black furniture with an Oriental twist creating a very relaxing atmosphere.
Location-wise it provides an ideal compromise. It is tucked away in a classic little cobbled street, but is two blocks from the George Street nightlife and 3 blocks from the hustle and bustle of Princes Street.
We ate dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night and opted for the 7 course taster menu which was delicious. Various dietary requirements were met without any problem and the service was impeccable. Breakfast the following morning was consistent with both the standard of food and level of service.
This trip was a birthday present from my husband and he liaised with staff at Nira Caledonia to provide some lovely little treats throughout our stay. It is these personal touches that really put the Nira Caledonia ahead of the competition.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland