This was our second visit to Nira for our first wedding anniversary. Our first visit for our honeymoon back in April 2013 was pretty much faultless. This time things were lovely (and I don't want to detract from what is a lovely hotel) but there were a couple of things that were disappointing this time. Firstly, we had a jacuzzi suite at the front of the hotel which wasn't quite such a nice room as the first but was nevertheless a spacious and well appointed room. This time, however, I thought it odd that for such a highly rated hotel the bed had one sheet and nothing else between us and the mattress. NOT a good sign of cleanliness and hygiene! What happened to a mattress protector at the very least? The bathroom had one or two issues of 'lazy' cleaning and the shower screen had no strip to prevent the water going all over the floor. Lastly, the waiter at breakfast was polite but seemed a little inexperienced and forgot about us on occasion. He then asked if I was happy to keep the same knife and fork for my main after having had fruit to start. Again, it should be normal practice that you're given clean cutlery for each course, never mind in a hotel of this standard.
I should say that on our first visit we had a fabulous jacuzzi suite at the back of the hotel with our own little garden. Beautiful. Staff were polite, breakfast was lovely and the location meant it was quiet and secluded but a short walk away from Edinburgh City Centre. A really relaxing and luxury getaway.
It's important to point out these discrepancies for the benefit of people thinking of visiting but mainly for the hotel management and staff who might otherwise not be aware of these small but nevertheless surprising issues. All in all this is a beautiful hotel and we may wish to return one day but I think it's important that these 'minor' issues are investigated as they bring down what is otherwise a beautiful hotel. As a result I have given 4 stars on this occasion instead of what should be 5. Keep an eye on the details Nira! The little things let you down this time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland