Nira Caledonia
$198
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$211
$205
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$146
$139
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
$173
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$126
$175
  • Pool
$121
$116
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$116
$92
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$137
$128
1,215 results
All reviewsjacuzzi suiteprivate gardennespresso machineboutique hotelchateaubriandstockbridge arealovely hotelno liftlisted buildingturn down serviceon arrivalsmall hoteltop floorquiet streetgeorge streetfull scottish breakfasta wonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I see the superlatives that other people have posted and wholeheartedly agree: excellent reception, room, food, wine, setting and a personal touch that is rarely surpassed. A great way to spend a relaxing evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamboMan
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Hello JamboMan.
A short but sweet review that says it just as it is. We aim for the personal touch, the real difference to our hotel is that we take the time to stop and speak to our guests, to find out what they need and want and then aim to please. It seems from you're review we done just that. I've shared you're review today with the whole team, it makes a dull Monday morning a whole lot better. Thank you for reviewing and for choosing Nira Caledonia as you're home from home.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My wife treated me (it was my birthday) to the tasting menu in Nira Caledonia's Blackwood's restaurant - wonderful dining experience overall. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the aromas from the Josper char grill get the taste buds ready for the food to come.
Staff were friendly, very diligent and caring, the food was fantastic.
Stayed overnight too - top quality room, every comfort taken care of and a really lovely breakfast the following morning.
Their is easy access by bus or walking to Edinburgh city centre. Everything you could want for a birthday treat! Thank you darling.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all excellent!
2  Thank Alastair H

AlastairH
Quality review , thank you very much. Our Chef Konstantin designed the 7 course tasting menu around the Josper grill and it is receiving rave reviews for anyone who tries it. We are working on the spring menu as we speak and look forward to launching it soon. It was a pleasure looking after you and you're wife and I hope to welcome you back soon. Remember to always book direct.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed at the Nira Caledonia for a weekend break and after a slightly frazzling train journey was glad to be shown to our lovely ground floor suite with it's own garden. Lots of nice touches: a welcome glass of bubbly on arrival, Nespresso machine, DAB radio and, my favourite -Tunnocks teacakes instead of ubiquitous Scottish shortbread. The rooms are spotless and the beds huge and comfortable. Good breakfast and a really serene location in a lovely quiet street. We'll be back. Next time I hope it's a jacuzzi suite.

1  Thank Kwillsher
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Well Kwillsher.
Another review , another mention for the famous Tunnocks tea cakes. We were bored of the "standard hotel offering" so the lovely Sue here at the hotel added the Tea cakes and Caramel wafers. They are holding their own on tripadvisor and we expect them to start up their own review page soon due to the sheer amount of mentions. They are a little way of showing just how we differ from the "standard chain hotel" . Thank you for reviewing Nira Caledonia, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were gifted a 2 night stay in this hotel and it was a glorious surprise.
It is a listed building and some of the rooms are in the building next door.
Our bags were taken to our room which was a welcome gesture as there is no lift
We were upgraded to a beautiful suite which had an enormous jacuzzi bath in the middle of the room and also a luxurious, separate bathroom
The room was very well appointed with a super-comfy bed, Nespresso machine, digital radio, fridge, safe, huge TV, sofa, hair dryer, fluffy bathrobes and slippers. We appreciated the Tunnocks tea cake and caramel wafer biscuit left on the tea tray each day. Lovely touch.
We dined in the restaurant one night and tasted THE best steak ever (cooked on their Josper grill)
The staff were friendly, helpful but also obtrusive. The perfect combination.
As we were leaving, we met the Manager who took the time to show us another suite and gave us an explanation as to why there weren't more power points in our room (our only complaint). Apparently it's because the hotel is a listed building and planning laws are stringent.
We would love to have stayed longer, but I doubt that this will be our last visit to this hotel. In fact we have already recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: It is a quiet area, so no noisy rooms.
1  Thank Angela G
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hello AngelaG
It's funny our Tunnocks tea cakes get more mentions than anything else on this forum.So glad you enjoyed them. The room your stayed in was 1011 , recently refurbished Jacuzzi suite and it really is stunning. Thanks for mentioning our Josper oven, the steaks it produces really are amazing, it sounds like you enjoyed your whole stay. It was really nice to meet you both and give you a chance to see some other rooms within the hotel. Do come back soon, remember to book direct.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here this week for a short two night break with my partner for a much ended escape and after researching the web and reviews we decided on Nira Caledonia and we were so glad we did.

This was my partners first time in Edinburgh but my third and we absolutely loved the hotel. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite, room 1003, and it was out of this world. The room was very tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean and had everything we could have asked for or needed. The bed was huge and very comfortable, iPod and DAB radio docking station was a welcome accessory, the Nespresso machine a nice surprise and the multifunction shower in the bathroom was a stellar experience. The complimentary evening turndown was a nice touch.

Breakfast in the restaurant was perfectly cooked and tasty with a great selection of food for everyone's taste on offer. We also dined in on our second night and were thankful we did. The food was up there with the best we've had. I had the fillet steak for my main and my partner had the chicken. We were sorry we couldn't fit in desert but were stuffed after the entrees, starters and mains. It really was beautiful.

The staff were always impeccable during our stay from the receptionists, to the night porter, the bar staff and manager. We were made to feel like VIPs on several occasions. Particular mention to the chef who had a nice chat with us at the end of his shift on Monday evening, George the bar man/waiter who served us in the restaurant for our dinner and Rory the manager who always took time to come speak to us, even when off duty, and make us feel special.

If and when I return to Edinburgh I will certainly be returning to Nira Caledonia.

It's a 5 star, centrally located gem.

Room Tip: If you're pocket can afford it book a jacuzzi suite and definitely dine in at some stage.
2  Thank James B
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear JamesB
I am reading this review to the whole team at our daily morning meeting, everyone remembers yourself and your partner , I think we all spoke to you both at some point. It's such a pleasure to look after guests who loved to be looked after and having you with us this week past is point and case. 1003 is an amazing room as you say and firm favourite with us all here since it's recent refurbishment. We aim to make every guest feel VIP and you seem to have had that experience so we are achieving our goal. I hope you enjoyed the G&T I sent you both at dinner? Thank you for name checking some of the team, they love seeing their names up in lights and a mention for myself is always very humbling. I look forward to you coming to stay again, remember to book direct!