“No Individual Heating Thermostat Room 609 - Room Far Too Hot” 3 of 5 bubbles

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #15 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scotland
“No Individual Heating Thermostat Room 609 - Room Far Too Hot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here as a couple between Christmas and New Year. The location is lovely, close to Stockbridge and the West End. The hotel and its furnishings are attractive. Our top floor room had a great view. We booked a small double as that was the only one left but although it was well equipped, I’d recommend paying extra for a larger room if you decide to stay here.

My only real gripe was that there was no individual thermostat on the heating appliance in my room (Top Floor, Room 609). This room is a pretty small double on the top floor with a very large chrome vertical panel heater/radiator a couple of feet away from the foot of the bed. This large heater (centrally controlled by reception) is out of proportion for a small room. There is also another radiator directly under the small window. Not only was there no thermostat on the large heater, there was no "off switch" on it either. The combination of the small room, the top floor location, the oversized heater and another radiator underneath the small window combined in making the room unbearably hot and impossible for us to sleep in. We had a very uncomfortable night with broken sleep which gave me a banging headache on what was meant to be a relaxing break.

I complained about the inability to switch off the heating during two phone calls to reception in the small hours, asking if there was an "off switch" I'd missed on the appliance only to be told this heater had to be turned off centrally from reception. In the morning we were grateful to receive a discount from our bill although I feel obliged to mention the situation to give potential guests a fair representation what to expect if they are allocated Room 609. I don't know if other small rooms on the top floor suffer from the same issue. Having read other reviews, it would appear that larger rooms on lower floors are highly regarded. The hotel itself is pretty good and I would have awarded it a 4 star rating if this issue hadn’t arisen.

Room Tip: Room 609 has reception/centrally controlled heating appliance
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Future guest,
This review has now been removed twice by tripadvisor as we have sent evidence of the fact ALL our rooms have thermostats. The previous reviews included hate speech and language not in keeping with the terms and conditions of the site and thus were removed, however the reviewer has decided to keep on posting so I thought it only fair to repond. We are currently in the middle of a full refurbishment programme that modernises and freshens the rooms within the hotel and due to the fact the building is listed , this sometimes halters what works can be attempted. However it's clear from the rave reviews we have received that the new rooms are both pleasing to guests and reviewers alike, while our traditional rooms remain firm favourites with return guests. It's unfortunate that this guest is unhappy with the apparent lack of heating controls in the room mentioned, however please let me assure you again , ALL rooms come with controls for radiators . As always is any guest is uncomfortable we ask that they simply call reception and we will do our upmost to fix any situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wow, that's all I can say when they opened the door to my room (No.1011) - candles, petals, champagne and large Jacuzzi! My husband booked this for a surprise for my 50th birthday and all I can say if you want to treat your partner this is the way to do it. The suite was gorgeous and I would highly recommend if you are looking for a stay in Edinburgh. Dined in the restaurant and the waiters could not have been more helpful explaining all the food - which was FAB. The hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk into town so you are not far away from all the buzz of the city or you can walk into Stockbridge. The breakfast was lovely with a variety of dishes you could order from the menu. Thanks to all the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lel701
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello lel701
Nothing says romance like champagne and a jacuzzi suite. I'll let you into a secret, it wasn't all us. Your husband booked our romance package and made some extra tweaks. 1011 is a stunning room and with candles, petals and our special Nira chocolates I think its one of the best rooms in Edinburgh. I spoke with you both on check out and it was clear you both have become Nira fans, thank you for the review.
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family & I (6 adults & 2 children) had a fantastic holiday break during the Christmas period -staying 4 nights in total. We arrived early, after a 3hr drive and was welcomed by Rory (General Manager) who helped alongside other staff members in unpacking our many sets of luggage/presents from the car(s) into our hotel rooms.

My overall impression was one of great service with professionally trained staff who delivered some of the best hospitality I have ever known! We have stayed in some great hotels over the years, but for genuine regard to how we enjoyed our holiday experience - I have not known any better!

A special thank you to Moray, Rolands, Katie & the Head Chef (honestly, the best chips I have ever tasted) who ALL went above and beyond the call of duty. Their friendly and relaxed dispositions made our stay into a really special time that will be remembered with fondness.

I honestly could not find fault with our stay, the 3 rooms were of a high standard, the food was lovely and as previously mentioned the service and hospitality second to none.

Thank you all for making our Christmas exceptional - I hope to be back one day!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well Cal12jan. Thank you for reviewing us. Looking after your extended family over the Christmas period and sharing the day itself with you was great fun. Thank you also for the name drop, always humbling to see my name in any review. All the team mentioned were delighted also and your review goes up on our staff notice board for all to read. You mentioned on check out about coming back this summer? I'll have chef have the chips ready.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was lucky enough to win a couple of nights stay at the Nira Caledonia and we visited in November. Since then we've already recommended it to friends and had a client stay there. The room was in the building next door in the basement, it was a lovely large room overlooking a garden. The only shame was it didn't feel like a typical 'Edinburgh' room with high ceilings etc. everything in the room was well thought out and tasteful. Breakfast was lovely. The coffees were very well made and delicious. It was a cold buffet and hot brought out to the table which was good to stop too much overindulging. Overall a great stay and we would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tavia14999
5 stars is amazing, thank you for taking the time to review. I note that your room didn't have a high ceiling and was in townhouse 10. I think this would be room 1004 , not all rooms have that as a feature but many do, if you stay again I'll put this in your profile and see if we can let you experience a room with different proportions. Although the private garden is a beautiful feature and is there a better way to start a day than sitting out side as Edinburgh wakes up , sipping a coffee?
I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I recently decided to splash out on a mini break at Nira Caledonia. The website was very impressive and promised much. However, I'm sad to say it was a very disappointing experience and I felt I would have been much better off paying for a cheaper chain hotel. I had booked a petite double and was expecting a room of modest proportions but this was a bit of an understatement! I could barely walk around the bed and the furniture was far too big for the space. It felt like it was a mish-mash of furniture which would have looked far better in a much bigger room. Other issues were: it was really noisy - the walls were very thin, I was asked on arrival whether I liked still or sparkling water but this was never left in the room and I had to call reception every time I wanted some, the TV was positioned very high on the wall and off centre from the bed which made it uncomfortable to watch, the room was not cleaned properly with empty coffee cups and water bottles left on the side for 3 days, nowhere to hang anything longer than a blazer - just a very small closet, no ironing board in the room, no option for fresh milk for tea and the portions at breakfast were very small. The service was good and it was an excellent location but I really felt like I had been ripped off for what I received. I would definitely not recommend room 1009... Perhaps other rooms are better??

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Schmetterling753
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Schmetterling753
Your review took me by surprise today. Overpriced. After investigating it seems you stayed during August and The Edinburgh festival. I'm sorry to say that all hotels in Edinburgh are very expensive during this peak month. You mentioned you booked at "petit double " but expected a "moderate" sized room, perhaps the clue is in the name..? Petit meaning small!! I'm happy to share with you that 1009 has bee fully refurbished as part of our current refurbishment programme which includes all rooms and really is a beautiful,well proportioned room , and due to our building being listed we cannot change the size , nor the walls. To address a few of your other points, ironing boards and irons are available by calling reception and this is detailed in your room directory , there is fresh milk available with the nightly turndown, which after checking you arrival sheets seems you turned down thus explaining why you never received water each night. Finally breakfast, you note that our portion size is small?? We offer a full continental which is self service and our Full Scottish breakfast is huge and has received rave reviews on this very forum. I am sorry you seem to have not enjoyed your stay with us , but perhaps future guests will read you review and my response and see both sides,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve and had the best time. The check in was fast and the lady was very helpful showing us to our room and where everything was. She recommended local eateries and said they were offering late check out and breakfast on NYD which was ideal.
The hotel is just infront of a little village called Stockbridge and is perfect to stroll to with lots of nice restaurants and local shops. The centre of Edinburgh is around 10 minutes walk away but there are hills - we still managed it after lots to drink throughout the celebrations though.
We went to the Edinburgh Street Party for NYE then headed back to the hotel after midnight as the bar was open extensively and they had put free soup, haggies, neps and tatties on etc. it was fab!! All the staff were really friendly they even did a bed turn and delivered water of your choice to the room between 6-8. We also needed an iron which they brought within 2 minutes of mentioning it. The breakfast in the morning was just what we needed and they let us leave our bags in reception while we did some more sight seeing. I would 100% stay here on my return to Edinburgh if anything just to spend more time in our lovely room. We were in room 5 which had been recently refurbished to a very high standard! It had everything we needed including a huge TV and lovely bathroom - all to the highest cleanliness! Want to go back!! Loved it!! x

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hello littleL84!
Happy new year. What a peach of a review. Haggis , neeps and tatties was just a little something from us at the hotel to all our returning guests in the wee hours who were cold and hungry. What a great night it was in the bar , the last guests leaving at 4:30am , as we were just setting up for breakfast. The lady you mention in your review was Katie, she really goes the extra mile with all guests and is the queen of the room show around. She was really chuffed you mentioned her. Room 605 is becoming a firm favourite as after it's refurbishment we all think it's now stunning. I hope your NYE was a special one and look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia.
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel and I am rather fussy! The staff couldnt have been more helpful or attentive.The manager really went out of his way to make us feel at home and welcome. The hotel is full of charm. Its stylish yet cosy and in a great quiet location in the new town which is a short (uphill) walk to princes street. We had a petite double which was rather small but still lovely with excellent facilities and a great view. The breakfast was included and amazing! Would stay there again tomorrow.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow , therealtravelwalrus( super name by the way )
Sounds to me like your visit to Nira caledonia was a good one. Thanks for taking the time to review. You are right our Petit Double rooms are small, but we think they are perfect for a 1 night stay and as you say, the room facilities are excellent. Thank you for the nod about myself making you feel at home, that really is our aim but it's nice to see we are all managing to archive this, you must come back in the summer, Edinburgh is a different place in the sun (if we get any)