Stayed a couple of nights during our 10-days in Scotland. Situated in quieter residential townhome area about 1/4 mile from the tourist areas and the castle in New Town. Easy walk to attractions.
We had booked early and had a suite on 1-floor that opened out to a patio on the internal courtyard. The room was very large with a separate sitting area and desk and even a fireplace. The bed was a king which was two doubles pushed together. Comfortable but you could notice the "slot" in the middle. The hotel is a restored townhome and has some of the quirks of an older home/hotel. Very nicely appointed with comfortable furnishings though a little dated. Bathroom was of good size with very deep tub/shower combo. Was quite a step into and out of the tub. Typical shower in which there is a little glass partition versus a curtain. I may do something wrong but end up with lots of water on the floor! Room was very clean and well taken care of.
We really enjoyed the hotel restaurant. We had dinner upon arrival and the staff was a hoot and hopping among the smallish dining area. We had steak and fish/chips and was very satisfied. Breakfast each day was standard buffet with the ability to order hot full Scottish breakfast. About what you would expect for included breakfast fare.
The airport is a decent cab ride into the city. We rented our car for the entire trip at the EDI airport and returned to Glasgow airport. Good place to start a trip to Scotland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland