“Solid Hotel in Quiet Area”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights during our 10-days in Scotland. Situated in quieter residential townhome area about 1/4 mile from the tourist areas and the castle in New Town. Easy walk to attractions.

We had booked early and had a suite on 1-floor that opened out to a patio on the internal courtyard. The room was very large with a separate sitting area and desk and even a fireplace. The bed was a king which was two doubles pushed together. Comfortable but you could notice the "slot" in the middle. The hotel is a restored townhome and has some of the quirks of an older home/hotel. Very nicely appointed with comfortable furnishings though a little dated. Bathroom was of good size with very deep tub/shower combo. Was quite a step into and out of the tub. Typical shower in which there is a little glass partition versus a curtain. I may do something wrong but end up with lots of water on the floor! Room was very clean and well taken care of.

We really enjoyed the hotel restaurant. We had dinner upon arrival and the staff was a hoot and hopping among the smallish dining area. We had steak and fish/chips and was very satisfied. Breakfast each day was standard buffet with the ability to order hot full Scottish breakfast. About what you would expect for included breakfast fare.

The airport is a decent cab ride into the city. We rented our car for the entire trip at the EDI airport and returned to Glasgow airport. Good place to start a trip to Scotland.

Room Tip: No lifts/elevators. They help with bags and only a few stories high but be warned if lots of luggag...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I just returned from a whirlwind trip of Ireland and Scotland and the Nira Caledonia was one of my favorite stops! From the moment we pulled up to the stylish gray exterior I was excited. I love that the hotel feels so "Edinburgh". The color palette of the hotel is classy- bronze, golds, and grays/blacks. I loved the high ceilings and chandeliers in the room. I also loved the large windows that looked out onto the quiet street. The bathroom is small but it did the job just fine. No, there is no air conditioning, but you're staying in a building that is hundereds of years old, that just comes with the territor! Throw your flannel pajamas and American norms out the window, and embrace a part of European life! The staff is wonderful- Marik at the reception desk spent time explaining exactly where to go to find music, food, etc. The staff also willing marked up many maps detailing how to get around the city. Joe at the bar also did a nice job of explaining the different malt whiskys to us. Moray went out of his way at breakfast to get us whatever we needed- even bringing us hot toast went ours went cold during all of our chatting with each other. The morning we left, the new manager Rory sat with us for an hour, asking about our trip and explaining to us the improvements he planned on making. The hotel is undergoing a huge renovation- he plans to retain the old world charm but also bring in a more glamorous feel. Based on the way he readjusted the dining room to create a more intimate setting for dinner- I think he's going to do a fabulous job making the place even more wonderful than it already is. When I left my phone in the cab that we took to the airport, I called Rory knowing he would be able to help. He assured me that he would have my phone back to me in 20 minutes, and did just that. I can't wait to return to this hotel, as wonderful as our stay was, I am confident this hotel will be even better in the future!.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here two nights at the end of our Ireland/Scotland trip. It has a perfect location being close enough to the city center to get anywhere quickly but still maintains the intimate and personal atmosphere of a beautiful boutique hotel. The staff here was amazing especially Marek at reception, Joe the bartender, and Muray in the mornings. The last day we were there Rory, the new manager took an hour of his day to sit and talk to us and then went above and beyond to help my sister get her iPhone back after she left it in the cab on the way to the airport. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just arrived back from a 5 day break in Edinburgh, and felt that we had to write a review to say just how good this hotel is. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive, nothing was to much trouble for them. Our room was small, but we knew that when we booked, it was tastfully decorated, large flat screen TV, daily complimentary water, expresso coffee maker, breakfast was plentyfull and freshly cooked, all which gave the plus factor for us. Would highly recommend this Hotel, and Edinburgh is a truly wonderfull city. For the foodies, we would recommend The Dome on George Street, it is well worth a visit for dinner and an amazing setting.

We will definately return next year for our 40th wedding anniversary, but will upgrade to an executive room at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed at the Nira in August. Very good location, old-world charming architecture, terrific breakfast, and incredibly friendly and helpful staff. The room we had was small, which doesn't disappoint me for an old European hotel, but very nicely decorated. The only negative about my experience is we had a room on the top floor; we would call it the fourth floor. Unfortunately, there was no lift and the last set of stairs were very narrow. While the staff took our bags up to the room, we left so early in the morning, I ended up carrying them down myself.

I'd stay there again, but I'd ask for a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor; or don't pack like my wife and I do! Although I didn't hav...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

So much is good. The rooms are well appointed. The people are nice. The location is fine. Our garden view was lovely.

But, for a SLH designation, there is much lacking.

The walls are paper thin. The bathrooms are ridiculously small. Everything really is cramped. There is no individual air control in the rooms. And the front desk is only spottily staffed, especially during the night.

I realize this is really an assembly of flats the hotel has put together. But they need to address these organizational and management issues to merit being a SLH of the world.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy K
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The location of this boutique hotel is in itself worth the price. We had a suite which was clean, comfortable, with a private garden. The hotel restaurant, Blackwoods Bar & Grill, had been recommended and certainly didn't disappoint. If you're looking for something a little bit special with character and a real feel of the historic surroundings, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2013