“nicest hotel room i've ever stayed in!”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #17 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“nicest hotel room i've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I booked a suite at Nira Caledonia for my boyfriend's birthday earlier this year, and I must say, I've never stayed in such a beautiful luxurious hotel room! We arrived at the hotel and we were not immediately excited by it's appearance from the outside, but it was very deceiving. We entered the hallway, which was small and cramped although nicely decorated. The reception was literally a desk taking up half of the hallway. Not the best layout but obviously the hotel had to adapt to the existing structure so it didnt bother me. The front desk staff was pleasant enough and efficient, although not very warm or welcoming. We were then shown up the narrow staircase to our suite (I have forgotten the name of it but it is directly infront of you at the top of the first flight of stairs). The room was SPECTACULAR! Absolutely beautiful! Huge room, huge windows, huge extremely comfortable bed, huge tv, confortable couch/seating area, jacuzzi bath with power shower, ipod dock, coffee maker... I could go on, but I don't have all night. Basically, it was perfect, I loved it. The only problem I had with my entire stay was that the suite had heating pipes running through it and at night our room was unbearably hot. We had to use blocks of wood and furniture to prop open the old fashioned sash windows in order to get any sleep. The barman was especially lovely to us, nothing was too much trouble. He even went and got me a jug of milk for a cup of tea because i mentioned i didnt like UHT milk in the room. The breakfast was also fabulous, thoroughly recommend it! Over all, an excellent stay, would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a bit of luxury!

Room Tip: if it's for a special occasion and you're looking for luxury, go for a suite! you won't...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and when we entered the room we both were wishing we booked two nights.
When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded to a jacuzzi suite free of charge, safe to say I was rather excited.
The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, we were greeted by a man called Roman, he was really lovely.
The room itself was beautifully decorated, immaculately clean and the bed was so comfy.
If you have the chance to get a jacuzzi suite I highly recommend it, but don't put a lush bubble bomb in it.... that will get a bit messy.
Would recommend to anyone and would gladly go back again!

Room Tip: Try and get one on the top floors, the views over the city can be beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh, Nira Caledonia.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyable stay with us and that you liked the upgrade that we provided. I was also delighted to read your comments about Roman and I have shared these with my team. THANK YOU!!!!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and at such a time, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

ELLINGTON
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having read the preceeding reviews there is not much I can add. We chose this hotel to get away from the bustle of center city and weren't disappointed and wanted something small to celebrate our anniversary. We ate neither breakfast or dinner at the hotel, opting instead to try several of the local shops on the main thorougfare a short walk away. We had one of the rear rooms overlooking the garden and while the quarters were tight, given there was a double bed, clothes cabinet, and sofa in the room, we managed. I was amazed by the bathroom. Built into what may have been a closet, it was all stainless steel, with the shower taking up one end, the sink and toilet the other. The shower offered three options, a regular overhead shower, 6 adjustable jets from sholders down and a shower wand. Once the temperature was adjusted, any or all of the options could be used, with very little loss of pressure. The only problem was that the sink was so close to the toilet, it was hard to find room for your legs.

The staff was more than helpful whenever a question arose and provided me with information to deal with the booking agent when I made a change in the arrival date the booking agent had difficulty processing. A big plus is while withing walking distance of the center, it is on three bus lines, two heading eastish and one westish from downtown.

We certainly would consider it again if our plans brought us back to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are quieter, single rooms can be tight
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JHAllen
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

Your comments have been passed onto all the team and we are all delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia in the near future.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I am a business traveller and stay in hotels in Edinburgh 3 nights every week. I booked a reasonably last minute single room, so I was expecting my room to be small.

Pros
- Hotel looks nice, and fits the boutique hotel bill nicely
- The staff were able to move me when i mentioned I didn't like my room.
- clean, especially for an old building

Cons
- room 1016, a single room with a very large double bed almost touching 3 walls, a low ceiling and a tiny window
- the bathrooms have excellent showers, but the water pressure makes the fittings almost pointless
- no food at the hotel this week, I wasn't told about this when I booked.

In summary, the first room I was given was awful, when I asked to move I said I would pay for an upgrade but there was not one available – but the staff said I could be moved to a different single room, room 1. Room 1 was lovely and much more what I was expecting, and all for the same price.

So I would say the experience you have of this hotel will depend not only on what class of room you are willing to pay for but which room you are lucky or unlucky enough to get allocated to. I spoke to another colleague who also had to ask to move rooms when they stayed there last.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

I have noted your comments about the room you were allocated and I would be delighted to discuss your future requirements to ensure we meet your needs. At such a time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Nira Caledonia
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nira Caledonia, Edinburg

We check-in on 5 Sep for 2 nights and were surprised that we were being upgraded to one of the 3 suites.
Front desk staff (Roman) was very helpful. The whole check-in process took less than 5 min and he carried our 3 baggages to our room. Luckily the room is at the street level, cannot imagine how he managed if we were at higher floor! (Oh, this hotel has no lift cos it's a historical building).
The room was simply Wow, from high quality furnishings to beddings. Although we were at street level, it's still very quiet when we opened the window for ventilation in summer.
The GM (James Lane) wrote a card to welcome us and it was hand-written by him, which gives it a personal touch. We loved the essential oils all over the room, which gives a subtle smell.
We have stayed in The Balmoral Hotel and The George Hotel previously on many occasions,
Nira  Caledonia is definitely one of our future choice when we are in Edinburg. (recommended by AMEX)
However, the breakfast was kind of a disappointment as they served cold breakfast. We were hoping eggs, haggis.... hot breakfast, but apparently, the kitchen is closed.

Well done to all the staff, from front desk to house-keeping, for keeping up the high standard of this hotel.

N Griffiths and Claire

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank SunnyIsland71
Columbia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you like being pampered then this is your hotel. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful and personable.Consider booking a suite. The suite was very spacious and tastefully decorated, the bed very comfortable and a modern bathroom. The breakfast was great (opted for the continental and my husband ordered a la carte and was very satisfied). Plenty of choice with the breakfast buffet and very pleasant seating area. Perfect to start the day. We had one evening dinner in the hotel which was to our satisfaction. Close by is a private park for which a key is needed, the staff informed us that they are working on getting a key for the hotel. If that would become available this would be great for runners or just to have a nice stroll without worrying about safety.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a hotel with lots of potential but it seriously misses the mark. The location is lovely in leafy Stockbridge and the decor is tasteful and contemporary. The staff are courteous and helpful but...! Breakfast is uninspiring - stale pastries, undercooked black pudding and general lack of attention to detail. The bedrooms are also disappointing being that this hotel is rated as 5 star. The beds are uncomfortable and very small (although described as queen sized), the smell from the kitchen seemed to seep up through the bathroom in the evening and the rooms are stifling and hot with no air conditioning. There are slippers but no robes (not the norm for a 5 star hotel). One toilet roll with no spare is provided in the room. Perhaps this is an environmentally conscious measure, but this appeared a little unusual. We stay in Edinburgh at least once a month and have stayed in much better hotels with lower star ratings at far more competitive prices.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business