“Responded amazingly to some minor complaints”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #16 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Responded amazingly to some minor complaints”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent a lot of time researching hotels for a special trip to celebrate my 30th birthday. I settled on the Nira Caledonia but as it was quite pricey only booked a petite double.

There were some minor issues on the first night, which were annoying, and would have caused me to write quite a negative review. However I did the thing that most hotel owners on TripAdvisor ask guests to do - to let them know of issues at the time, rather than by leaving a bad review. I am so glad I did - because the managers went above and beyond by fixing these small things and turned an average trip to a fantastic one. Erwin and James were amazing and made it all better!

We loved the location - it was less than 10 mins to walk to Princes Street, and Stockbridge is a lovely area (go to Bell's Diner for burgers!). I think the rooms are probably all quite different as they are spread over 2 Georgian townhouses. There was a loud snorer in the next room but not much anyone can do about that!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura1507
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

I was delighted that you took the time to make your comments to me during your stay. I was also delighted to read that you felt our actions turned an average stay into a fantastic one.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia in the near future. At such a time, please do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

James Lane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Greek first
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here for one night in the Scott suite. The suite consisted of a living room with large tv, bathroom with jacuzzi and bedroom with massive unbelievably comfortable bed. In addition to this we had a private garden thought the weather was bad so we couldn't enjoy it, it looked lovely though.

From the moment we walked in to the hotel we were impressed. The decor is lovely and although we didn't use the Restuarant it looked really nice. The room itself was amazing and very clean, with great books on the desk with ideas of local things to enjoy including art galleries and restuarants. We had breakfast in bed and it was on time and very nice. Our only complaint is that we couldn't get the DVD player to work. Though I will say we didn't Ask anyone to help, so I'm sure it did work. The area the hotel is in is really nice. Close to the city centre and stockbridge. Found a nice bar called igluu nearby which sells art work and bought a nice wee picture. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend the suites.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell M
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

I visited Edinburgh for the first time and therefore wanted to be in a great location. I prefer small hotels with a more personal service and attention to details. Nira Caledonia was the perfect find. David prepared delicious dishes at dinner time while the rest of the team was always very alert and ready to help. My suite had a lovely private garden ideal for the sunny long days in the summer. I will return and highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012
Doncaster
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Edinburgh with a friend on Thursday July 28th. We had booked two petite doubles for a one night stay as we were going to see a show. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we knew we had made the right decision. A beautiful Georgian building set the scene for the character we were to experience inside. Our rooms were right at the top of the building and the views made the climb up the stairs worthwhile! Classical music was playing in the room as we entered and the nespresso machine was soon in use. Although it was petite everything had its place and was perfectly formed. The ensuite was lovely with a bath and an excellent shower over. The towels were huge and the toiletries just lovely. The staff couldn't have been more obliging and genuinely friendly. That was so true of the bar man who served us on our return from the theatre. It was at that point we discovered there were no trains in or out of Scotland. We went to bed relatively unphased and watched the news the following morning. We made the decision to stay an extra night if at all possible. We knew they were probably full.The staff couldn't have done more for us and were given the same rooms for a second night. As a result we had a very enjoyable second day in Edinburgh. Breakfast was special, from the food to the service. The bed, bedlinen and pillows were exceptional.This hotel provides a very special experience for guests and I cannot rate it highly enough. The distance from the station to the hotel and then into the Playhouse, the Castle was perfect and we enjoyed the walk. We are already planning a return visit in the not too distant future. Next time we might eat in the restaurant in the evening as well. Thank you to all the staff at the Nira Caledonia, keep doing what you do so well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel was absolutely amazing. Though it has no lifts, as it is a Grade-A listed building, it has immense character. The rooms are stunning with wonderful amenities. The rooms do vary in size, however, and unfortunately we were given one on the smaller sized, which seemed a bit cramped for a couple. Despite a request for a transfer, and rooms being available on the night, we were not given another one - which is the reason for the demoted rating. However, the hotel is 5-star in every other way. The hotel is situated near the Botanical Gardens, and an easy 15-20 minute walk to the Royal Mile. The hotel does strive to make a wonderful experience for the guests - when you enter your room, you are greeted with classical music. The rooms have high Georgian walls, so you do not feel too claustrophobic, even though we were in a petite room. The bed is very comfortable, and the en-suite bath, though again on the small size, was very modern. I would stay here again in a future trip to Edinburgh, though I was a bit put off about not being re-assigned another room as mentioned above.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind and positive review of our boutique hotel in Edinburgh, Nira Caledonia.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyable stay with us and I'm sorry that we were unable to allocate you a different room when you request one. I can assure you that it is our practice to change guest rooms, if for any reason the room assigned is not suitable and we have rooms available.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and if I can be of any assistance with your next stay, please do let me know.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Only stayed here for one night but I was so well looked after by the staff I wished I was staying for longer! From the moment my taxi pulled up outside, I couldn't have wished for better service. The property itself is an absolute delight - very charming, loads of character, beautifully decorated. I didn't have a suite, just a standard double on the 2nd floor, which wasn't huge to be fair but seriously well kitted out with creature comforts you wouldn't even see in a suite at a Hilton! I had dinner in the restuarant which was not what I would describe hotel food - it was superb; a well thought out menu, beautifully cooked to perfection, with a fabulous wine list to accompany it and staff knowledgeable about what wine suited which meal (tell me a hotel under £100 per night that does that?!). Dinner service was at a relaxed pace, you weren't rushed but equally you weren't neglected. If you are looking for a sterotypical bland hotel chain affair, stay here to redicover what customer service is really all about. Equally, if you want to be well looked after, well fed, get a great night's sleep, feel spoiled by waking up to your own nespresso machine with classic fm on in the background, book the Nira Caledonia, you won't be disappointed...by the way you'll see my reviews that I rarely offer an 'Excellent' score, but this hotel truely deserves it.

Room Tip: I don't think you'll get a bad room here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for you taking the time to post your review of our boutique hotel, Nira Caledonia Edinburgh.

I have passed your comments on to our team and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our Chef was particularly grateful and says "THANK YOU"!!!

I look forward to welcoming in the near future and in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.

Scotland
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and myself stayed for two nights in the Wilson Suite last week. The suite comprised a very large bedroom and a sitting area with a leather sofa and coffee table at one end. The bathroom was rather small but absolutely fabulous. We had dinner with wine on one night and the chef was also the waiter so the food was piping hot when it came to the table and was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Breakfast was rather special too. All the staff we met were friendly but professional. Other reviewers have mentioned that it was quite a walk into town from the hotel but we didn't think so. Perhaps the other people are used to driving everywhere, whereas we walk a lot anyway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindaSi
Thank you for your very kind and positive review of Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you like the large Suite and sitting area in the room allocated. I was sorry that you felt that the bathroom was small. I assure you that as with most Edinburgh Boutique Hotels, and as one of the many listed buildings, each room is unique in configuration and shape thus giving our customers a real boutique feeling.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, but in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.