“Best Hotel i've ever stayed in!!”
Review of Nira Caledonia

Nira Caledonia
Ranked #17 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in my time and especially in Edinburgh but i was blown away by every aspect of my stay at this wonderful hotel. Firstly the service that i received on arrival was outstanding, professional, friendly and immediately gave me the impression that i was staying in a really special place and the room did not disappoint. I was shown to one of the jacuzzi suites which is stunning. Everything about the room is fabulous especially the jacuzzi which my only grumble is that it takes a while to fill up but this is minor.
I was meant to stay for one night but loved the room so much that i asked to stay for another night which the reception staff, Erwin sorted out for me promptly. So i am also getting to stay tonight which i am loving!!
Would definitely recommend to anyway above the Sheraton, Malmaison, Hilton. It's the best hotel i've stayed in, in Edinburgh and very reasonably priced.
I hope to return again at some point in the future. Keep up the good work Nira Caledonia!!

Room Tip: 1011 has a great view of Gloucester Place.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amccabe4
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for posting your very positive review about Nira Caledonia on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to read such nice comments about our team, service and rooms.

We look forward to welcome back to your Edinburgh home in the near future.

Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Nira Caledonia

Reviewed March 31, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank kitkat1962
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Where to start! We had a jacuzzi suite. It comprised of 4 rooms, one dedicated entirely to a jacuzzi room. Massively comfy bead, such friendly helpful and efficient staff, lovely touches like nespresso machine (with the coffees thoughtfully refilled during an evening turn down of the room). Next time in Edinburgh I will not even be looking for alternatives, why when you can stay in such luxury at a really reasonable price. My only negatives would be parking is not ideal. Expensive on street and you have to move the car after 4 hours, and it is a slight walk to all the main sites, but to be honest, it wouldn't have the same great townhouse feel if it was any more central. We truly loved this place

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank dan l
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you for posting your very kind and positive comments on Trip Advisor.

All the team here at Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I was also please that you liked your Jacuzzi Suite and our new Nespresso machines which we have placed in every hotel room.

I was sorry to read that you thought the ample on street parking outside the hotel was expensive at £1.60 per hour. I can assure you that our street is competitive compared to other more commercial areas in Edinburgh.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed at the Nira Caledonia from Thursday 8th March 2012 for two nights. We arrived just after 11.00am and obviously we knew our room would not be ready but there was no problem in leaving our luggage until we returned later.

When we did get back to the hotel later in the afternoon, check in was dealt with smoothly and our luggage taken to our room. The executive room was amazing with a nice sized bedroom, separate large room with a jacuzzi bath and then a bahroom with a lovely shower etc. It was beautifully furnished and was spotlessly clean.

Breakfast on both mornings were very good. Staff very friendly and helpful.

As our train back was not leaving Edinburgh until 6.00pm again there was no problem in leavng our luggage.

This was our first time at this hotel and we plan to vist Edinburgh again later this year and would certainly stay here.

Room Tip: Choose and Executive Room or Suite
2  Thank BLTN477

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read you had such a good time with us and that you liked your Executive room.

I have passed your comment on about the breakfast to the team and they are so pleased you enjoyed it.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and at such a time, if I can be of assistance, please do let me know.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night last week. I had been once before, we always go for a room with a hot tub as they are amazing!
Friendly & helpful staff, Our room was downstairs and had it's own garden with patio doors. The bed & pillows are the most comfortable I have ever experienced, Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Hot tub is a must
2  Thank KarenBrodie90
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thank you for posting your very positive and kind review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you continue to enjoy your stays at Nira Caledonia Edinburgh.

We are also delighted that you liked your new bed. The bed you had was a lamb’s wool quilted 2,000 pocket luxury bed which has been covered with a Goose feather and Down topper. In addition to this, we have also placed new Goose feather and Down pillows and duvet for that extra feeling of luxury and comfort. The level of comfort you experienced in your room is present in all 28 of our guest rooms at Nira Caledonia.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and in the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. When phoning to arrange some details, I found the staff to be courteous.

On arrival, we were given a warm welcome and shown to a room in the basement of the second building. As the view was of a garden, we found this fine.

At first glance, the room seemed well appointed but as I frequently stay in 5 star hotels around the world it soon became apparent that this is closer to 4*.

The finish of the 'newly decorated' room was poor. The wallpaper was badly hung. The wall next to the bed was splattered with liquid. The wardrobe did not close without brute force. The bottom of the shower screen had mildew on it. The shower head did not remain fixed when in use.

The room also had a massive skylight with no visible means of closing the blind. Which means that people in other rooms/buildings could easily see into the room.

The room had been partitioned and the dividing wall was thin. So providing a iPod dock in each room was not a blessing as we were kept up but the party going on it the next room.

I had ordered a bottle of champagne on the 1st day, which as arranged was in our room on arrival. What we didn't expect was to find the same finished bottle with ice bucket and dirty glasses, left in the room the next day after it had supposedly been cleaned.

While it maybe a 5 minute walk downhill from George St to the hotel. It certainly is not a 5 minute walk on the way back up. Be prepared for a bit of a hike!

I also found it really odd when I had asked for cooked breakfasts on both days and then wanted to change to a continental on day 2. Only to be told that the amount had already been 'posted', so I could have the continental but would have to pay for a cooked meal! This really isn't 5* service.

All in all, this hotel is just ok.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ledonya

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Nira Caledonia Edinburgh on Trip Advisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to profusely apologise for the gaps in the service and product that you received during your short stay. I can assure you that this not up to our usual high standards and I have addressed all the points you have raised to ensure that a repeat does not occur.

I would be grateful if you would give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and as such, I would ask that you contact me directly so I may personally make the arrangement for your next visit at Nira Caledonia, Edinburgh.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

we have been here about 4 times now ,in past few years ,we stay in same room twice and then room down stairs ,this is wonderful hotel and love rooms are so nice , we were here on 10 july 2011 we had great time this was our honeymoon at time we had great time ,

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank louise g
James L, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Nira Caledonia Edinburgh on tripadvisor.

I was delight to read your positive comments and that your continue to enjoy your stays with us. I have passed them on to the whole team and everyone was really pleased!

I look forward to welcoming you back to your Edinburgh home in the very near future.