Claymore Vegetarian Guest House
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
$156
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$161
$156
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$227
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$187
$165
Agoda.com
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$126
$117
  • Pool
$251
$232
Agoda.com
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$146
$90
  • Bar/Lounge
$121
All reviewstattiesfresh fruitb bvegetarian breakfastcomfy roombus stop rightgreat place to stayedinburgh fringewalked everywherea lovely staystayed here for nightstoiletriesearplugs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I can always rely on you guys to look after my visitors when they come to my studio in Edinburgh. Thanks for the great service and flexibility and well appointed rooms you supplied to my clients last week. Well appreciated, I have had great feedback.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2010

First the standard stuff about the B&B. Personally, I'm delighted whenever I find a vegetarian restaurant, and a vegetarian B&B is even better! The food was perfect, the building and decoration charming, the room comfortable, and possibly most importantly, the hostess was delightful, helpful, and friendly, and while possibly not relevant to this review, she was also passionate, responsible, and engaging, things that I look for not only in accommodation, but more generally in everyone that I interact with.

I'm always surprised that people take the time to fill out reviews like this, and I'm only doing it in response to the slander from the individual from Manchester, who revealed more to us about himself than his dislike of the decoration, namely, a mean-spirited and vindictive nature. Taking the time to write a nice review helps the community and the B&B, but writing such an extensive negative review, instead of say, raking the garden or taking the trash out, illustrates not only a lack of more meaningful things to be doing, but an actual desire to contaminate other peoples' experiences, which is very sad.

Claymore might not be as posh and as elegant as the other B&B's in the block, but posh and elegant accommodation is abundantly available in any city, and we'll all stay in it again and again in our travels. But personally, I plan to stay at Claymore whenever I'm in Edinburgh for all the reasons mentioned above. Accommodation like this is much harder to find.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My husband and I had a double room with en-suite for 3 nights in this very comfortable guest house. Our hostess could not have been more welcoming, giving us advice on local transport and attractions. The breakfasts, taken in the sunny dining room, were excellent; generous servings prepared with care. There was a variety of cereals (including porridge), yoghourt, fruit, fruit buns, toast and a cooked vegetarian breakfast. Soya milk was provided on request.

Our rooms were spotlessly clean, with all the little extras that make a stay enjoyable. We had a good comfortable bed.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Diane10080
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I stayed at this Guest House for one night only and was so un-impressed, that I will not be there for a second.
I should have been pre-warned by the crystal decorations in the window that I was about to enter latter-day hippiedom. If a Guest House is run by Vegetarians who impose their lifestyle on their guests, regardless if the are meat-eaters or not, then the establishment should make this fact obvious in their advertising.

The cooked breakfast menu consisted of eggs, from “hens that are kept in organic and humane conditions” (give me a break) fried, boiled, scrambled or poached. Mushrooms (funghi, in case anyone gets confused) and cooked in extra virgin olive oil. The fact remains, you can have anything you want cooked as long as it’s an egg. So I went for the cooked breakfast and had eggs cooked in evoo, ‘hold the funghi’

I have stayed at many guesthouses, all of which offer a vegetarian option, it obviously doesn’t work both ways.

I’m not sure who it was that served breakfast but he looked like he had just “been released” after serving a 10 year stretch and spent the night under a hedge. He could at least run a brush through his hair in the morning.

Now I know it’s an old building but they’re not impossible to maintain. The room was basic with threadbare bed linen, pillows like Cornish wafers, very dodgy electrics and an obvious neglect of DIY and general maintenance. The bathroom………..well let’s leave that for some other poor sod. Having seen the state of the toilet brush, I had a good idea where the organic Funghi were cultivated.

I can only imagine that the review written by the member from Weiterstadt, Germany was written either at gunpoint, during a power cut or under the influence of the wrong kind of mushrooms.

I would not recommend this guesthouse unless you are into new-age living, crystal therapy, astrology or having your charkas centred.

Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank clonaus
A TripAdvisor Member
Weiterstadt, Germany
Reviewed October 30, 2005

This is a very good basic B&B. I stayed in a single room (2 single beds) for 4 nights in October at GBP 35 per night. I was the only guest. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and very well situated. The owner is friendly and provides a good breakfast. The house is cheerfully decorated, although there are some cracks in walls. My room had a sink, good towels and tea/coffee. I found the bed to be comfortable.
Pilrig Street is residential (mixture of flats & guest houses), there is a park opposite the B&B, and local shops 5 minutes walk away. You can walk to the centre of Edinburgh, or to Holyrood House, in about 30 minutes, and the number 11 bus runs very frequently and stops outside the house (1.90 for an all-day ticket).
This is for people looking for good basic accommodation - only 1 star, NOT ensuite (there's a sink in the room and the bathroom is across the hall).

Highly recommended.