“What a beautiful and charming little hotel.”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #45 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Asker, Norway
“What a beautiful and charming little hotel.”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights, and were welcomed by the sweetest girl in the reception. We had booked in advance, and she told us that we would have the best view in the hotel, but there was one backside. The room was on the 5th. floor and the elevator only went up to the 4th. floor. No problems as the stairs are short, and the room, being not a big one, but absolutely charming and newly renovated, was absolutely great. The bathroom was very nice and the whole room was clean and "shiny" We had ordered the room inclusive breakfast, and that was served in the neighbouring pub, and it was great. Enough food to keep you going for several hours visiting sites and must sees in Edinburgh, which is a great city to visit. Unfortunately we only had one whole day there, so it was a bit limited, but we'll be back, and for the next visit we'll be booking the same hotel. Great value for the money, and the location is just where you want it to be, unless you only want 5 stars suites and to stay in the room the whole day. Book a room here. You can't go wrong.

1 Thank Raviolies
GMKT1, Guest Relations Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thanks for your amazing review! We are glad you & your wife enjoyed your stay.
For your next stay book direct with us to ensure you get the best deal!
We look forward to your return

The Grassmarket Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I really loved this hotel, and thought it was cheap for the quality. The decor is pretty fun, there's a plasma tv in the room with a lot of channels.
The location is pretty good, as everything is a short walk away.

The room has coffees, chocolates and tea, as well as kettle. There's a hair dryer. However the room is a bit small, and we had asked for a room with two doubles and received one double, which was separated into two singles. There is no wifi or phone in the room.

We didn't have any issues with noise in the street, even though the room looked over the street. But a lot of taxi drivers told us this might be an issue; there actually are a lot of bars in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rihamb
Thanks for your fantastic review!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay & hope to welcome you back again soon.

The Grassmarket Team
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Grassmarket Hotel very recently. Was a great modern clean bright room extremely big and sooo comfortable I wanted to take it home! I think it was great for the price it reflects. I love 5 star luxury but this did us just fine. Close to all main attraction would defiantly stay again.

Room Tip: Superior doubles are better we stayed in 215
1 Thank Ashlee C
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thanks for the amazing review!!!!

So glad you and your partner had a great time staying with us.

I am really pleased that you found the hotel to be excellent value for money and that you will be coming back to see us again.

Don't leave it too long!!!!

Isle of Lewis
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Grassmarket Hotel is more style over substance, I'm afraid. I'm sure we are squillions of years older than the target guest but our 'superior' room was only big enough for one person to get out of bed at a time. The bed was huge and very comfortable with wall-mounted plasma tv at the end, Dandy wallpaper to to keep you amused - something to do while your partner squeezes into the bathroom which was virtually part of the very small room - no good if you have any inhibitions about going to the toilet with someone else in the room. No other facilities in the hotel except an entrance lobby masquerading as a lounge - expensive shoebox - methinks ripped off??!! I think the website is extremely misleading.

Room Tip: Def second floor, to avoid hearing bar next door, but not much soundproofing between rooms and the l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am really sorry if the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

We have hundreds of guests staying in the hotel of all age groups, so I can't say that we have a target age range. As you will see from our other reviews the hotel is enjoyed by older and younger guests, so I am sorry if you felt that way.

Our reception team are passionate about delivering first class service and are available 24 hours a day. I wish you had let us know how you felt during your stay and given us the opportunity to rectify any issues you had.

Our rooms are fantastic and priced exceptionally well amongst our competitors. If you book directly with us you will certainly get the best deal availabe.

I hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to Edinburgh and let us look after you.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. Wifi and phone on the room missing. Ill Definite come back.
Excellent location. Bit noise but hey you're at the pub street what do you expect. We actually decided to stay one more night, service good and even you can order your lunch bag for your highland trips.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank ppvillalvazo
Thanks for the great review!!!

Really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. In room phones and Wi-fi are coming soon, however we do have free Wi-fi at reception and Wi-fi dongles you can take up to your room.

Glad you got some packed lunches for your trips and we hope to see you again soon.

Fraser and the Grassmarket team.
Nairn
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We are a slightly older couple escaping children for the night and throwing in a bit of Christmas Shopping! This hotel was perfect for us... smart, clean, bright, fresh - the bed was amazingly comfortable, the shower brilliant, the finishing touches - chalk suduko board, feature wall map of Edinburgh, chocolate teacakes - were just right. After spending years in "Family Rooms" of very budget hotels we were suprised how much value for money this hotel was. Position was excellant - especially the quirkier kind of shops - close to Castle, museums, library, spooky walks and the Royal Mile. Just ten minute walk to Princes Street. And the bar next door was through an interconnecting door so we didn't even have to take our slippers off for dinner! The live music was brilliant and (although slightly dull decor) the food was good! I would return, I have already recommended and the best bit for me was... they allowed us to take their chess set up to our room and I finally beat my better half at a game of chess!

Room Tip: Comfortable room overlooking the Seafood restaurant at the side.
2 Thank Elizabeth E
Thank you for the fantastic review!!!!

Really glad that you had a great time staying with us.

I am so pleased you won at chess and hopefully you will come back soon for a rematch!!!!

Fraser and the Grassmarket team.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I first came across this hotel when meeting a friend of mine about three years ago and I remember her saying it was just a standard hotel, cheap for comfort in a great and hip location. For a weekend in Edinburgh with a friend, he decided to try the hotel after its brand new refurbishment. The whole concept is charming, really, of being a hip hotel with less traditional formality and a 'it is what it is' mentality. Hipster, I believe, is the word that we continuously used. That's not a good sign.

The staff were the kind who are hired for free time's sake with little knowledge of the hospitality business and its expectations. I found the most baffling thing to be how the elevator only connected up to some rooms and if you had certain rooms on the second or third floor - you had to access them by your legs. Good luck for those with heavy luggages. The room was incredibly tiny though I have to say very, very clean and I do love the little details such as the magnetic map that you could plan your week in Edinburgh with.

We gave it a chance and thought "cute, we'll deal". But then we found out the wi-fi, while free, was not quite as accessible as the site made out to be - you had to go down to the common area and sit there, waiting for it to come up on your networks list. When we asked the receptionist which network it was, they had no idea (both times, both different people!). There was no phone in the room, making it impossible to easily contact hotel staff. I found this very odd and almost irresponsible. Are they trying to give us a well-deserved break from the outside world or avoid responsibility altogether? Additionally, the shower was either too hot or too cold - we had to leave it on for a LONG time to warm up.

Breakfast at the pub next door, and while it's a nice idea - the stench of beer and musky men was enough to turn me off food altogether. Overall, the hotel left little to be desired, this is the last time we are going to stay here. If you are used to hotel standards i.e. phones, accessible internet, easy shower to work - don't bother.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent feedback,

I am glad to read that you found the hotel charming, and in a great location for you.

You have raised some interesting points however and I will try to cover each one individually.

You have mentioned the word hipster several times and inferred this word is being used continuously as a negative. I can honestly say I have never heard that word being used to describe the hotel until this review and do not understand the negativity behind the word I’m afraid.

I can assure you that the team here are highly trained and truly passionate about delivering a first class service to our guests. You only need to look at other reviews to see that the team always get amazing feedback, so I can only apologise if you did not get that impression from them.

There are a few rooms not accessible by lift, however the team are more than happy to help with luggage if requested. We have over 40 rooms of all different sizes, so if you felt the room was not large enough, I am certain we could have found a room to your liking on request.

The Wi-Fi is free and available in the public areas. The connectivity is excellent, as I use it daily and always find it to be extremely fast. The network name is ‘Grassmarket Hotel’ which appears as soon as you turn Wi-Fi on your device. All the staff are aware of this, so I am not sure where the confusion arose from on this. In room Wi-Fi will be installed very soon, however we do have in room Wi-Fi dongles available at reception.

Currently there are no phones in the rooms, however the reception number is located in your welcome booklet. We also have maintenance staff available and they would have been able to look at your shower immediately had we known about the issue.

I am extremely grateful for your comments, as they have highlighted a different perception of the hotel and it is our aim to please everyone. My advice to any guest would be that if there is something that you feel is not right than let us know how you feel during your stay. If a guest leaves unhappy then we have failed to do our jobs, so please give us the opportunity to fix any issues that may occur. Then you can focus on your break and enjoy the hotel as other guests do every day.

I hope next time you will give us another chance and see that The Grassmarket hotel really is the place to stay in Edinburgh.