“Lovely room but very noisy”
Review of Grassmarket Hotel

Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #48 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on monday 13 august 2012. Fortunately my wife and I had a new room which was very nice and modern. The bed was very comfortable and everything seemed to be new. The hotel is located in the Grassmarket area which is very handy for getting about Edinburgh. Unfortuantely there were several downsides to our stay. We had room 101 which is above Biddy Milligans pub. There was music on in the bar until 3am in the morning which could be clearly be heard in the room. In addition just afetr 6.45am there appeared to be an empty bottle collection which was very noisy.Also there was a considerable amount of noise from people leaving the pub in the early hours. In addition the cleaner started vacumming the hall carpet at 8.45am so we had very little sleep during the night.Breakfast had to be taken in Biddy MIlligans pub which ajoins the hotel. This is a dark dingy place which to be truthfull does not look very clean. In fact the gents toilet was down right disgusting.There were four members of staff on duty in the morning and only two other couples awaiting breakfast. Despite this the sevrvice was very poor. In fact we had to wait over 35 minutes before our cornflakes arrived. The cooked breakfast eventually arrived and was average. So in my mind the hotel needs some improvemnts to go alaong with the new decor

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thanks very much for your feedback.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the room and that you found the bed comfy.

During the festival, most venues are open later than they would normally be and the city itself is at it's busiest time. Our team are on hand to help and we do have quieter rooms available higher up if you fancy a quiet night in.

I have passed your comments to the bar manager regarding service, and the toilets have since been re decorated.

I hope you will come back and see us soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend and it was nothing short of excellent. Perfectly locatedfor pretty much anything in Edinburgh we walked around the whole city including to Athurs Seat and the Castle from here. We stayed for the Fringe and there was a brilliant atmosphere right on our doorstep but without the usual late night noise you get in a city centre due to the extra window panes. The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout, offering to show us on Google Maps where different places were. Our room was spacious and had big comfy beds, an amazing shower and bathroom and was light and airy in the day and pitch black at night for the best nights sleep I've had in a long time! I loved the little extra features such as being able to plug in your ipod and listen to it in the shower or the bedroom. Plus Tunnocks teacakes! there is a little cafe next door and a pub the other side so every taste is covered. Lots of character, very clean, quiet and overall just a great place to stay, very reccommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom_Grapes

Thanks for the amazing review!!!

So glad you enjoyed the hotel.

All our guests are saying how comfy the beds are, and I am glad you had a great nights sleep.

Come back soon or we will be upset!!!!!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've stayed at the Jury's Inn and the Bank Hotel in the past in Edinburgh, and those hotels were fine, but had noise issues during certain times of night and that was during the off season. This time I stayed at the Grassmarket Hotel during the beginning of the Fringe Festival, Military Tattoo and in the middle of summer and I never heard a sound the entire 2 weeks I stayed there!!! I stayed in one of their renovated rooms and was very impressed! The rooms were nice with the needed amenities; the staff were all very helpful and nice; the on-site manager was always helpful and polite; and again, not a sound at night! I'm very sensitive to sound also and am not a deep sleeper, so I was very impressed! The free wifi in the lobby was fine too, as there were plenty of places to sit and use your netbook, laptop, android player or whatever. I would sit and look out the big picture window at people walking by while taking care of business online.

As already mentioned, the staff was very helpful. They politely and gladly took care of every request or issue I had. Plus, my parka had been stolen on the flight over and I had to file a report days later. The staff was helpful in allowing me to use their phone numerous times when I was trying to get a hold of the correct person; notified the rest of the staff when I told one of them that I would be expecting mail delivered there; and promptly delivered my mail! They also took good care when my spouse delivered a dozen roses to me! Every staff I dealt with was helpful, but the ones that were the most helpful was Natalia who offered on her own for me to use the phone to file my report and Ines, who was always helpful, offering me tea and great conversation! I got to witness the staff handle a very unreasonable traveller who had created an ackward situation himself and then had unreasonable demands, and the staff handled it with the utmost professionalism and politeness even though this particular traveler didn't deserve it.

The breakfast that came with the room each morning was served in the Pub next door, Biddy Mulligan's. The staff there was very nice also and the food quality was very good for the most part. I couldn't get them to consistently make my scrambled eggs to my preference, so I switched to fried eggs and was happy as a clam.

The hotel is in a great location, near the castle, Royal Mile, theatres, etc. I can't say enough good things about my experience when staying at the Grassmarket Hotel for 2 weeks!
I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: There is a great and inexpensive Italian restaurant just a few doors down from the Grassmarket Hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Backpacker_0905
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thanks for the amazing review,

We miss you already!!!!

Thanks for all the great feedback you gave us. I am so pleased that you had a great time and that we looked after you well.

It really was a pleasure having you here and I hope you will come back to Edinburgh and see us very soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My friend and myself went to Edinburgh for a few days over the summer, we arrived in Edinburgh to find out that our hotel had closed and we had no where to stay. We just by chance walked past the Grassmarket Hotel, it didn't look great from the outside but we decided to go in and check it out. We are so glad we did! It was amazing.. the room was so modern and comfortable! The hotel is within walking distance of everything you need and entertainment is provided in the pub downstairs. It turned out to be a brilliant dew days away and we will definitely be back in this hotel. Only downfall was the lack of air conditioning in the room but I think we just ended up being in Edinburgh on the 3 hottest days of the whole year. The rooms at the front might be a bit noisy if you have young children but saying as we were out late it didn't make a difference to us.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quieter due to the pub at the front.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pstewart2212

Thanks for the fantastic review,

Since your stay our reception has been upgraded and we have air conditioning in the rooms.

So pleased you had a great time with us and we are really looking forward to your return!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We went there for a family vacation and to see the Edinburgh tattoo. When I contacted the hotel, I was provided with honest and quick replies. I want to say a massive thank you to Laura Keay, she helped me with all the hotel booking, tattoo, bus and royal experience package tickets.The staffs were really helpful and the hotel in itself was absolutely amazing and is within walking distance of everything. The grassmarket area has a charm of its own, with all the tiny amazing shops and places to eat. I loved Edinburgh and will be returning back and when I do, I will stay in Grassmarket hotel again, no doubt.

Room Tip: A good tip- to all the light sleepers, better choose room on the top floors and with a window that c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cretee

Dear Cretee,

Thanks for your great review of our hotel. I am really glad that Laura looked after your needs when you were booking with us.

We are so pleased you had a great time here and you enjoyed the hotel. We are all looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Having researched many hotels prior to coming to the Edinburgh festival, I decided on The Grassmarket Hotel as it sounded perfect for what I wanted travelling on business, and with my teenage son; contemporary design, lively atmosphere, great central location. Unfortunately when I arrived the girls on reception, although lovely, seemed to have been dropped in at the deep-end and were confused over which guest was staying where. They allocated me room 201 and gave me guide directions (the hotel is like a rabbit warren... lots of corridors, stairways, turns and more corridors... which makes it fun in a way!) and a key they 'hoped' would work! We found the room and the key worked, however it was a small, single bedroom contaning a single bed. We found our way back to reception and explained to the confused receptionists who began phoning people to find a solution. They very kindly offered us a complimentary drink from Biddy Mulligan's Irish Bar next door (fabulous lively venue) whilst they resolved the problem.
30 minutes later I went back to reception only to be told there were no other rooms available.
Obviously I was upset as I had booked my Twin room well in advance and was travelling with my teenage son so a single room just wasn't an option. I was greeted by the Manager who told me he had arranged for a second single bed to be put in the single room. This wasn't ideal as the room was so tiny and the 2nd single bed was just a small 'put up' bed with an insubstanial mattress, but the manager offered us a 50% discount as compensation, which was honoured immediately. In addition I was given a reference number and told that if I choose to come back to the hotel I should quote this reference and I would be given a superior twin room at a good rate.
Positives about the hotel: Well equipped bedrooms including decent hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, showergel, lovely coffee and delicious chocolate marshmellows :) VERY friendly and helpful staff, nothing is too much trouble for them and they assisted with giving directions and printing off maps. Lovely atmosphere and central location.
Negatives: Our bedroom was too small to appreciate anything in there; it was very hot and cramped, the window opened but wouldn't stay open (we propped it open half an inch using the Dandy annual!), the bathroom was tiny. We were in the 'old' part of the hotel so we didn't have any of the mod-cons the other rooms boasted.
Overall, although a mistake was made on my booking and we spent 2 nights cramped in a cupboard-sized room (see my photo of Room 201), the Customer Service was second to none and my experience wouldn't put me off staying there again (providing I get a decent-sized twin room as requested the first time... please!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ericajc

Dear Erica,

Thank you very much for taking time out to give us feedback on your stay. I am really sorry that the mix up with your room allocation had an impact on your stay and that this mistake happened.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your understanding and it really was a pleasure to have you and your son stay with us.

I am glad that we managed to turn things around for you and that you had an enjoyable time in the city.

I hope you will come back again soon to see us and I can assure you we will look after you very well next time.

Best regards,

Fraser and the Grassmarket team,

Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our trip to the comedy festival! The room was really funky- one wall was a magnetic map of Edinburgh. There was an iPod dock and you could have the music playing in the bedroom or the bathroom or both.There wasn't a view from our window but we didn't care. The hotel's location is perfect. Walking distance to all of the fringe venues, the castle and lots of bars, restaurants, pubs etc. One annoying thing is that we got there at 11:30, told we couldn't check in til 2 (fair enough) but when we came back they were checking in a massive group so had to go to the pub next door til about 3.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank TNoice
Fraser H, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Thanks very much for your great review!

Really pleased that you enjoyed the hotel. We are at the perfect base to see all the fun of the festival, due to our perfect location.

After a busy day you can chill out in front of the big flat screen TV with the air con on keeping you cool.

Next time you come to stay, feel free to give us a call to arrange an early check in and we will sort that for you no problem.

See you again very soon.